iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   Dolphin windshield reset (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/dolphin-windshield-reset-471701.html)

Gordeno 12-09-2019 10:22 PM

Dolphin windshield reset

I have a 1996 Dolphin ford Chassis split window configuration. Over the years I had the right window reset twice and the drivers side once. Both sides have the seals replaced.

i am totally aware that you need to be extra careful how you drive, turn and especially coming out of parking lots so the rv doesn't come out at a angle, ie coming out slow and straight and then make your turn as late as possible.

My question is there any special tips that you can provide to keep the window from creeping out. My drivers side has lifted up and I can see air space for eight inches. One individual told me not to change seals if you don't have to because factory seals are not available. the oem are not as good. That information is too late.
Relative to the rubber seals, should they be sealed with some type of adhesive on both sides or just on the glass portions, I have heard more then one opinion on this. Some state you need to seal at the lower side also, will this lend itself to creating stress crack on the fiberglass?

Appreciate some expert knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Scooter 12-10-2019 09:07 AM

You should call Windshield Magic and talk to Jeff or Nonda. They are based in OR and now in Quartzite until April. They worked on our Dolphin replacing a split windshield and I think they know a lot about National install methods. I am sure they will discuss over the phone and give you advice.

800-560-8061 or 541-579-1229.

Gordeno 12-10-2019 12:49 PM

windshield

Thanks, Called Jeff, I intend to set up an appointment with Nonda.

I live 200 miles from their business. but should be worth it.

TC Wndsr 12-11-2019 08:00 PM

FYI- I just got two quotes in Yuma for replacing the rubber gasket on my Sea Breeze. One was $720, the other close to $1000. I think Iíll give those guys a call also.

Scooter 12-11-2019 11:34 PM

Jeff used our old gasket when replacing our glass. Did not use a lot of caulk, just silicone...as I remember.

TC Wndsr 12-12-2019 05:32 PM

My glass is fine other than some small chips but the lower corners of the gasket are dry and cracked and pulling away from the glass. I have been caulking with silicone to hopefully avoid leaks and to keep the problem from getting worse. Unfortunately the glass has to be removed to replace the gasket and thatís why it is so expensive.

Gordeno 01-02-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordeno (Post 5070038)
Thanks, Called Jeff, I intend to set up an appointment with Nonda.

I live 200 miles from their business. but should be worth it.

just returned from having Jeff remove and re install my two windshield. Jeff did a great job. I would certainly recommend Window Magic. Be sure to get a reservation he is a busy guy.
He uses something other then silicone, poly urethxxx.

He prefers to use the original seals and bond it to the fiberglass and sparsely to the glass to allow movement.

TC Wndsr 01-02-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordeno (Post 5095512)
just returned from having Jeff remove and re install my two windshield. Jeff did a great job. I would certainly recommend Window Magic. Be sure to get a reservation he is a busy guy.

He uses something other then silicone, poly urethxxx.

He prefers to use the original seals and bond it to the fiberglass and sparsely to the glass to allow movement.

What was the cost of this if you donít mind sharing?

Gordeno 01-14-2020 01:43 PM

windshield

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC Wndsr (Post 5095614)
What was the cost of this if you donít mind sharing?

His price is based upon several factors,mine was easy, so I hate to use mine as a baseline.