iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Executive Fifth Wheel Hitch (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/executive-fifth-wheel-hitch-472598.html)

aknavy 12-20-2019 09:51 AM

Executive Fifth Wheel Hitch
 
Any try one of these?


https://genyhitch.com/product/execut...68VFQ81VuTjjuc


The Trailer Saver is good, but I miss my Goosebox. This one meets my trailer weight and pin weight specs, so it's an option. Would like to hear about it before spending the cash.

CecilD 12-20-2019 11:02 AM

Interesting concept. I have two areas of concern. Since the preload is not adjustable like an air hitch, your ride will vary. This would be especially true with your toy hauler as your pin weights will vary with garage loading. Secondly, I would want to ensure that you have sufficient pin weight with the garage full to depress the unit enough so that the links slope upward. If the links still slope downward (as in the unloaded position), the device will push the truck forward when hitting a bump and exacerbate chucking forces. It should help with chucking with an upward slope.

I would experiment with your BD5 first with the garage loaded as far as air pressure. I find with my TS3 that a minimal difference in air pressure makes a large difference in ride softness.

Clomok 12-21-2019 08:03 PM

Iíd call and confirm with LCI/Lippert if your still under warranty to confirm this hitch wonít void a fame warranty. That being said, I think Iíd go air ride, like has Been said thereís no adjustable prelude on the hitch for ride quality.

Scoobert 12-21-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clomok (Post 5082652)
Iíd call and confirm with LCI/Lippert if your still under warranty to confirm this hitch wonít void a fame warranty. That being said, I think Iíd go air ride, like has Been said thereís no adjustable prelude on the hitch for ride quality.

Of course it will void the warranty.
LCI is Exclusive Supplier of the goosebox and that is one of the main reasons any other gooseneck system will void the warranty. Not because it hurts the frame but because it increases their sales plus at the same time gives them an out to void a repair bill to the end user.

imjustdave 12-22-2019 01:59 PM

Lack of user adjustability on that torsion spring is a big q for me. Goose box air bag seems better and I amassing patented.

I do like the idea of riding the hitch in bed

Tdave 12-22-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobert (Post 5082739)
Of course it will void the warranty.
LCI is Exclusive Supplier of the goosebox and that is one of the main reasons any other gooseneck system will void the warranty. Not because it hurts the frame but because it increases their sales plus at the same time gives them an out to void a repair bill to the end user.

Not sure that is true. Reese is owned by a different portfolio company, and you can buy a Goose Box through many different distribution channels.

Iíve never found a link between Goose Box and Lippert besides being endorsed. I was a skeptic, too.

Tdave 12-22-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aknavy (Post 5080989)
Any try one of these?


https://genyhitch.com/product/execut...68VFQ81VuTjjuc


The Trailer Saver is good, but I miss my Goosebox. This one meets my trailer weight and pin weight specs, so it's an option. Would like to hear about it before spending the cash.

As a Goose Box owner, I feel your pain. Glad my pin weight allows me to keep using mine, I love it.

Compared to the Goose Box design, what would concern me about this design is it’s limited “over ball” pivot action. The GenY movable links allow up and down action, but not so much forward/aft as the Goose Box does. The pivot point on the Goose Box is in front of the ball, which allows more of an arc motion vs the GenY. I could see that as a reason why it wouldn’t be Lippert frame approved.

Arc motion is more realistic to the behavior of the trailer vs the tow vehicle, the trailer doesn’t just move up and down, it is essentially anchored at the hitch point so the rear moves up and down more than the front, so you want the front to be able to follow an arc motion to relieve energy at the limit.

Scoobert 12-22-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdave (Post 5083799)
Not sure that is true. Reese is owned by a different portfolio company, and you can buy a Goose Box through many different distribution channels.

Iíve never found a link between Goose Box and Lippert besides being endorsed. I was a skeptic, too.


https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lippert-components-designated-exclusive-supplier-of-reese-goose-box-pin-box-by-cequent-performance-products-127893378.html


https://ih.advfn.com/stock-market/NYSE/lci-industries-LCII/stock-news/48854599/lippert-components-designated-exclusive-supplier-o

Tdave 12-22-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobert (Post 5083873)
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lippert-components-designated-exclusive-supplier-of-reese-goose-box-pin-box-by-cequent-performance-products-127893378.html


https://ih.advfn.com/stock-market/NY...ive-supplier-o

2011? I had no idea the Goose Box is that old. It took another 5 years until people started using it relatively mainstream, and I still donít know of any OEM that supplies it stock with their rigs, regardless if Lippert makes their frames.

Again, two separate companies, and you can buy the Goose Box through a bunch of different retailers.

Iím not naive to conspiracies, but Iím not seeing one here.

Lippert could have just as easily limited warranty coverage to only their own pin boxes, and blocked a competitor altogether.

I have to assume they saw the design superiority of this product and were willing to sign off on the warranty compliance to offer a true gooseneck solution to customers, instead of the damaging adapters people were using.

And in exchange they negotiated exclusive distribution.

They could have done that with other gooseneck adapters out there, but didnít.

Who is to say they wonít with other designs that meet their design criteria. If it were just about cutting out the competition, they could have done that by blacklisting Reese. There must be something about the inherent design that they like.

Why endorse a competing product that knowingly damages your own? That seems like a very short term goal.

Scoobert 12-22-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdave (Post 5083913)
Again, two separate companies, and you can buy the Goose Box through a bunch of different retailers.

Does not matter who you buy it from. As an exclusive supplier all sales originate from LCI and they are going to get paid for each one not matter who sells it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdave (Post 5083913)
Lippert could have just as easily limited warranty coverage to only their own pin boxes, and blocked a competitor altogether.

That is excactly what they have done. Name another gooseneck hitch that will not void the warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdave (Post 5083913)
There must be something about the inherent design that they like.

There is nothing wrong with the design or the hitch. If they made one that fit my 5er I would have one on it.

What it has done is give them the perfect out of a warranty claim. Looks like you used a hitch that violates our warranty (whether you did or not doesn't matter), warranty claim denied. While at the same time giving them exclusive segment of the market with the simple statement "any gooseneck hitch (other then ours) will void your warranty.

Tdave 12-22-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobert (Post 5083936)
Does not matter who you buy it from. As an exclusive supplier all sales originate from LCI and they are going to get paid for each one not matter who sells it.


That is excactly what they have done. Name another gooseneck hitch that will not void the warranty.



There is nothing wrong with the design or the hitch. If they made one that fit my 5er I would have one on it.

What it has done is give them the perfect out of a warranty claim. Looks like you used a hitch that violates our warranty (whether you did or not doesn't matter), warranty claim denied. While at the same time giving them exclusive segment of the market with the simple statement "any gooseneck hitch (other then ours) will void your warranty.

Again, why choose the Goose Box to do this with? If their intent was to deny warranties by arbitrarily picking a goose neck design that they secured rights to, they had plenty of others to do this with, long before the Goose Box came out.

Itís not like the Goose Box was the first gooseneck adapter.

I choose to see this as them seeing a sound design and leveraging their place in the market to secure an exclusive.

My take is less nefarious than yours.

In fact, if you correspond with them, which I have, they donít say that other designs will void your warranty, they just say that if there is a problem with your frame using other designs, you will not receive warranty help. There is a distinction.

Scoobert 12-23-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdave (Post 5083984)
Again, why choose the Goose Box to do this with? If their intent was to deny warranties by arbitrarily picking a goose neck design that they secured rights to, they had plenty of others to do this with, long before the Goose Box came out.

Itís not like the Goose Box was the first gooseneck adapter.

I choose to see this as them seeing a sound design and leveraging their place in the market to secure an exclusive.

My take is less nefarious than yours.

In fact, if you correspond with them, which I have, they donít say that other designs will void your warranty, they just say that if there is a problem with your frame using other designs, you will not receive warranty help. There is a distinction.

Whatever, deny all you want. I have seen it in action.

aknavy 12-23-2019 10:40 PM

Well, as most threads do, this one has taken on a life of it's own. Still playing around with the BD5 to get a decent ride. I'm going to add a wireless air compressor so I can change it on the fly and see what pressures ride the best.


I'm skeptical of the subject hitch, as I have not seen one or heard any direct experience. Guess I'll wait on that. I hadn't really thought it thru, and I do agree that the lack of adjustment is a potential issue. Will keep on using what I have.


As far as the Goosebox and Lippert - one way or another, they are in bed with each other. I wish they'd just make it standard equipment on the units that it's rated for, as it provides a superior ride, and I have yet to see someone using it drop a fiver on their truck - something I'm deathly afraid of with the traditional hitch! Getting the bed of your truck back is a serious bonus!

Scoobert 12-24-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aknavy (Post 5085042)
Well, as most threads do, this one has taken on a life of it's own. Still playing around with the BD5 to get a decent ride. I'm going to add a wireless air compressor so I can change it on the fly and see what pressures ride the best.


I'm skeptical of the subject hitch, as I have not seen one or heard any direct experience. Guess I'll wait on that. I hadn't really thought it thru, and I do agree that the lack of adjustment is a potential issue. Will keep on using what I have.


As far as the Goosebox and Lippert - one way or another, they are in bed with each other. I wish they'd just make it standard equipment on the units that it's rated for, as it provides a superior ride, and I have yet to see someone using it drop a fiver on their truck - something I'm deathly afraid of with the traditional hitch! Getting the bed of your truck back is a serious bonus!

Agree with all your thoughts and still with i could put a goosebox on my 5er. It would save me money over going with the bd3/ bd5


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.