iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   New 5th wheel Manufacturer (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/new-5th-wheel-manufacturer-472981.html)

2002dura 12-24-2019 06:48 PM

New 5th wheel Manufacturer

Looks like a new manufacturer of 5th wheels will be starting up in January. Alliance RV is completing a new factory and says they will be producing luxury fifth wheels. Most of the upper management seems to be coming from Heartland and then manufacturing from Grand Design. The Brady's were with Heartland before they got bought out. Looking forward to seeing what they come out with. Supposedly going to be at some shows in January, hopefully with some show units as there calendar does have models listed per event.

I found an interview from August.

jdpm 12-24-2019 09:10 PM

This will be interesting to see. I'm not holding my breath for anything special. All of the quality manufacturers have gone belly-up all about the around the same time.
Carriage made quality rigs for 40 years and the guy who took them into bankruptcy then took over the upstart sister Lifestyle LRV and took them into bankruptcy.
All the quality manufacturers such as Carriage/Lifesyle, Excel, Teton, and NuWa and Continental Coach have closed.
Luxe RV started making nice fivers and still do but reduced production to only the larger, higher priced units.
I'm so tired of all the manufactures coming out with new lines and touting themselves as luxury/high end and there's not one thing different about their build.
Then Vanleigh started up. Nothing specials about them at all and touting themselves as high-end with the likes of Lippert axles and cheap Chinese tires. Really? Beautiful paint though!
I will be watching but I'm not holding my breath. If its even as nice as a DRV or Riverstone I will be surprised. :popcorn:

HJLowell 12-24-2019 09:12 PM

Time will tell.

1. Will they put together sourced parts like lippert frames and so forth.
Like most do.

Or will they step it up quality wise and start by Manufacturing a superior quality frame and adequate, quality axles,wheels,tires and disc brakes.
Do you remember the dually wheels and disc brakes that Newmar used ?

Will they use a one piece fiberglass roof ?

And quality, real viable quality maximum
R value insulation?

If not they will depend on Marketing hype like most have.
And offer nothing new for the buyer.
Thats not already available.

Time will tell???
The first shows are a month away. [emoji106][emoji6][emoji41]

JDT 12-25-2019 07:39 AM

We are kind of, sort of starting to look. I really get discouraged when I read about all these issues some are having with their rv purchases, realizing, of course, that usually only unhappy folks post their experiences and the happy ones don't. We would like to have something a little shorter and a little lighter but with good build qualities. Generally lighter and quality don't seem to mix well. Maybe these folks will do something different. We can hope.

We had some decent manufacturers like Excel and NuWa but, just my opinion, they couldn't compete with the glitz and glamour offered by their competitors for a much lower price. House built frames, good undercarriage and fiberglass roofs add costs that others bypass and use the savings to add bling.

TXiceman 12-25-2019 06:39 PM

If they really want to shake up the RV market, they need to use a Young's Welding frame that is powder coated, dual pane windows, better insulation, better cabinets, heavier furniture and carpet, and Mor/Ryde IS suspension and American made tires rated fro the load.

Problem with this is it will make the Rv heavier and people can;t pull them with their 3/4 ton trucks and they will be more $$$$.

A number of higher end manufacturers have bit the dust and cannot keep up with the glitz from Thor and Forest River. I am very fornatuate that we got one of the last HitchHiker Champagnes. A well built, true 4-season, full time RV.

Ken

consolenut 12-26-2019 06:01 AM

Curiois to know if they dont use Lippert Frames. And if they is the spray foam insulation. Instead of the Bat

JpalmerCass 12-26-2019 03:03 PM

Neither the website or interview gives much useful information other than that the people involved understand the RV making business as practiced in Indiana. Which is not necessarily a good thing for consumers.

jdpm 12-26-2019 03:55 PM

I hate to sound like a sad sack but it's all hype to get them launched. Just like Vanleigh and GD.....nothing special. Americans will buy it if if looks good enough. They love blink and gimmickry!

jlsr 12-26-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consolenut (Post 5087096)
Curiois to know if they dont use Lippert Frames. And if they is the spray foam insulation. Instead of the Bat

Their frames will be Lippert. From what I've read so far they will be in the 70k range and build / components seem similar to all the other mid range 5th wheel mfgrs. I read that they will have a unit at the Tampa RV show and Ft Worth RV show in January.
I'll keep my Lifestyle 😉

chucklesg 12-26-2019 04:19 PM

Can't help but wonder how long they will last until they sell out to Thor, FR, or Winnebago! And if they use Lippert junk, they won't last and the warranty issues will drive them crazy. GD sold out just in time to stick it to Winnebago!

consolenut 12-26-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsr (Post 5087702)
Their frames will be Lippert. From what I've read so far they will be in the 70k range and build / components seem similar to all the other mid range 5th wheel mfgrs. I read that they will have a unit at the Tampa RV show and Ft Worth RV show in January.
I'll keep my Lifestyle [emoji6]

wishful thinking i guess. Ill keep my Teton till something else comes along thats actually an upgrade.

JpalmerCass 12-26-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpm (Post 5087680)
I hate to sound like a sad sack but it's all hype to get them launched. Just like Vanleigh and GD.....nothing special. Americans will buy it if if looks good enough. They love blink and gimmickry!

VanLeigh does have pretty nice all wood cabinetry on some models, that's uncommon. And simpler, less flashy cabinetry than usual at that. And options for heavier axles and disc brakes. I think they're quite a bit nicer than GDs, Montanas, Bighorns and such.

BubbaChris 12-27-2019 12:54 PM

FYI - They have a private group (easy to join) on Facebook and Bill Martin very actively participates. They preview floorplans and designs there.

Bill tries to answer all questions and often gives out his cell number if you want to call and discuss specifics.

Best regards,
Chris

Cumminsfan 12-27-2019 01:58 PM

So if you can't build a better product then offer better customer service.
After the CS is gone what're are you left with?
The same stuff everyone else has.

jdpm 12-27-2019 02:50 PM

Of all the current and past production line fivers made over the years DRV is the only one left that offers something better engineered than the others. They have the stacked box frame, thicker sidewalls, slides that seal flush with the RV side, IS, disc brakes, 17.5 wheels, etc.
I guess all the other manufacturers are afraid of trying to build something comparable.
https://www.drvsuites.com/elite-suites-luxury-fifth-wheels/drv-advantages.html

JpalmerCass 12-27-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpm (Post 5088702)
Of all the current and past production line fivers made over the years DRV is the only one left that offers something better engineered than the others. They have the stacked box frame, thicker sidewalls, slides that seal flush with the RV side, IS, disc brakes, 17.5 wheels, etc.
I guess all the other manufacturers are afraid of trying to build something comparable.
https://www.drvsuites.com/elite-suites-luxury-fifth-wheels/drv-advantages.html

Luxe offers that stuff too but your point still stands.

Recently I've been reading quite a bit about bad quality at DRV. I know all the "only the complainers go online" and all but it still gives me pause.

tuffr2 12-27-2019 04:06 PM

Once DRV started several years ago building Tradition 5th wheel they lowered their standards.

OP - I agree it is exciting to have a new 5th wheel. My observation years 2 - 4 are the best as that is when new companies in the RV industry peak. After that they all seem to go downhill.

Does anyone know of a company building a better product than the did 8 years ago?

jdpm 12-27-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JpalmerCass (Post 5088743)
Luxe offers that stuff too but your point still stands.

Recently I've been reading quite a bit about bad quality at DRV. I know all the "only the complainers go online" and all but it still gives me pause.

Agreed! I could have gotten a DRV for about the same price as my Lifestyle at the time but opted for the LS. I love some of the features of the DRV but even when I ordered the LS I was starting to read of more issues with DRV. I have heard that is more so the case since the 2014 takeover my THOR.
Keeping what I have!

glennwest 12-27-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consolenut (Post 5087822)
wishful thinking i guess. Ill keep my Teton till something else comes along thats actually an upgrade.

Custom build only.

HJLowell 12-27-2019 06:48 PM

What frame did Newmar and Teton homes
Casper Wyoming use ?
When they manufactured fivers ???
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXiceman (Post 5086838)
If they really want to shake up the RV market, they need to use a Young's Welding frame that is powder coated, dual pane windows, better insulation, better cabinets, heavier furniture and carpet, and Mor/Ryde IS suspension and American made tires rated fro the load.

Problem with this is it will make the Rv heavier and people can;t pull them with their 3/4 ton trucks and they will be more $$$$.

A number of higher end manufacturers have bit the dust and cannot keep up with the glitz from Thor and Forest River. I am very fornatuate that we got one of the last HitchHiker Champagnes. A well built, true 4-season, full time RV.

Ken

consolenut 12-28-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJLowell (Post 5088928)
What frame did Newmar and Teton homes
Casper Wyoming use ?
When they manufactured fivers ???

Teton built there own frames and still have the patent on them. The original owners the The Ingrams. Not the group that leased the name later on. Hence no one has built the "Big and tall" version since. Storage area size and height no one has come close. 4115 CCC says it quite strong. Can roll a 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly of mine.. Newmar used there own frames early then spec'd one for lippert to build later.

HJLowell 12-28-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consolenut (Post 5089420)
Teton built there own frames and still have the patent on them. The original owners the The Ingrams. Not the group that leased the name later on. Hence no one has built the "Big and tall" version since. Storage area size and height no one has come close. 4115 CCC says it quite strong. Can roll a 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly of mine.. Newmar used there own frames early then spec'd one for lippert to build later.

Thank you consolenut

keymastr 12-28-2019 10:53 AM

Thor took over DRV in 2016 and quality was pretty good through MOST of that year. After that it has seemed to take a downturn, but whose hasn't? If I was looking for a unit of that size and quality I would be taking a serious look at 2016 and older DRVs through either Rolling Retreats or Whiskey Mountain. Both specialize in them and can get you factory build sheets so you know what it came with and what was added by previous owners. Both also have a vast knowledge of these particular coaches and where the problems are likely to be, as well as best practices to fix them.

glennwest 12-28-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consolenut (Post 5089420)

Actually New Horizoms built an almost duplicate of Teton around 2010. It looked like a clone of mine.

POPPASMURF 12-28-2019 06:29 PM

IF ANY OF THE GANGSTERS FROM HEARTLAND ARE INVOLVED-i WOULD STEER VERY MUCH CLEAR. We remember well out water tank falling out, our friends had to have the front cap removed to rebuild the frame. They still can't use it as the wiring is a mess.

jdpm 12-29-2019 05:52 AM

There really is no accountability in the industry. They throw together crap as fast as they can, shut down overnight, sell- out, and change line-ups constantly.
All the new stuff I've seen looks incredibly cheap inside. It's all about the speed in which they can push it out.

jdpm 01-02-2020 08:00 AM

https://rv-pro.com/news/alliance-rv-...ws-fifth-wheel

Doesn't look like anything special.
Traditional framed windows. On the subject of windows, that's not a bad idea as frameless windows look sleek and have become so popular tend to leak at the seal allowing water to get in behind the exterior wall and the owner never knows. Trust me.....its going on all over the industry regardless of brand.
The roof edge does not appear to be a rolled edge which make the rig look less expensive.
Cheap looking laminate rear wall instead of molded fiberglass.
The flush floor kitchen slide is nice and the pocket door in the bathroom. It would be nice to see more companies putting opposing slides in the bedroom.
I'm not expecting anything especial but time will tell.

Cumminsfan 01-02-2020 09:42 AM

I see that they have a pre-crack stress joint under the bed slide corners. Big thread over on the Jayco owner forum where Jayco doesn't build their 5th wheels with it and many owners are getting cracks in that area.
Thats a plus.

2Yung2 Quit 01-02-2020 10:23 AM

As a recent Mobile Suites purchaser, and former Grand Design Solitude owner, I can tell you that DRV components are top notch, the workmanship however is no better than Grand Design. YMMV.

Elkfarmer 01-02-2020 01:08 PM

If this company wants to be different they need to start from the ground up and build something better than all the other cookie cutters. Employing the requests from respective consumers is just a feel good ploy. What makes them any different? I like the windows. I hate the flush ones for various reasons. They need to start with a well built frame not put together by the monkeys at Lippert. They need to use better and thicker aluminum like Northwood(no one will ever use the aircraft grade that Alpenlite had anymore). Solid wood inserts in the tubes as well as backers. High density virgin foam at least 2#s. Blue Dow would be best as its very dense and also structural. New Horizons and spacecraft use this. Teton and Nuwa did also. I could go on for a while as there was various manufactures that had the best of something..but nobody had the best completely. I like the wood trusses. I need to see a pic of them. They do not transfer heat or cold like aluminum and are a lot stronger than the stamped designs. Vapor barriers next to solid objects like luan, cd or osb create more problems than it's worth. Infalted R values are amusing. I hope the trusses are solid and not OSB formed like Teton. That was always my knock on them along with the OSB roof. Worked fine as long as a leak never happened. Customer service will go a long ways but can they maintain it? Will they care in two years if the sell out to one of the three? I won't hammer on them to much until i see and crawl through one in person. Until then..i wish them the best of luck in a very crowded field of clones.

Elkfarmer 01-02-2020 02:11 PM

I went to the website and it says they use a Hercules Chassis. If this is the same Hercules that made some of my farm equipement chassis then it has to be better than Lippert. This assumes this name is not a pseudonym like Falcon and its spec meets or exceeds it's targeted GVWR.

jdpm 01-02-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit (Post 5095615)
As a recent Mobile Suites purchaser, and former Grand Design Solitude owner, I can tell you that DRV components are top notch, the workmanship however is no better than Grand Design. YMMV.

I have always felt that the DRV is a wonderfully engineered RV, however, just poorly executed. That's exactly why I didn't buy one back in 2014.

I imagine the frame and most other components are Lippert other than the Dexter axles. I suspect the Hercules name is something they are using to try to appeal to consumers to give them the impression of a strong frame or that its something different and better than the others.

Like the previous poster, I wish them the best but I'm not seeing anything really different. Show us a cutaway of how its built like many manufacturers so we can see the components going into it.

BSHGTO 01-02-2020 04:23 PM

go for the gold

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesg (Post 5087710)
Can't help but wonder how long they will last until they sell out to Thor, FR, or Winnebago! And if they use Lippert junk, they won't last and the warranty issues will drive them crazy. GD sold out just in time to stick it to Winnebago!

You can`t hold that against them, 3 guys with an idea, risked everything they owned, built from experience and gave the customer what they wanted (for a time anyway) was offered a absolute ridiculous large pile of money for a few years of work to walk away and have fun the rest of thier lives. Shoot that`s the American way. I mean where else you going to pull that off in the world. These new guys will do the same just give it time.

Sorry, former 30 year business owner that sold out just before the crash, and never looked back.

MDFiver 01-05-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXiceman (Post 5086838)

Ken

Check out Northwood Manufacturing. A quality product with frames built in-house. We love our 30 foot Arctic Fox and pull it with our 3/4 ton. We also have the Mor/Ryde Suspension.

Ret.LEO 01-05-2020 03:27 PM

Give them three years and Thor will probably buy them out.:nonono:

LegacyFB38 01-05-2020 03:55 PM

Like many, I'm less than favorably impressed with the RV industry. And the problems have existed for a very long time. My best guess is change will be minimal, at best, and take years to occur. Pessimistic perhaps, but more likely the sad reality. "It's been like this for so long they think it makes sense!" :)

The driving force for change will only exist when there are enough buyers who refuse to buy what is currently the status quo. And said buyers must be willing to spend the money it will take to make the manufacturer(s) profitable selling what will be necessarily a more expensive product.

annphilrv 01-05-2020 05:00 PM

Spot On

You are spot on but forgot Alpenlite. From 2000-2004. We have a 2002 36’ lAlpenlite Stone Creek. We put 17.5 Michelin Tires & wheels on. We installed steel plates on spring hangers. Still full timing with it and have upgraded the interior also. When corporate bought it units went downhill. We looked at the Van Leigh also. Great woodwork and exterior paint like you said. That’s all they’ve got. It seems that anything Tiffin’s sons are involved in is poor quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpm (Post 5086035)
This will be interesting to see. I'm not holding my breath for anything special. All of the quality manufacturers have gone belly-up all about the around the same time.
Carriage made quality rigs for 40 years and the guy who took them into bankruptcy then took over the upstart sister Lifestyle LRV and took them into bankruptcy.
All the quality manufacturers such as Carriage/Lifesyle, Excel, Teton, and NuWa and Continental Coach have closed.
Luxe RV started making nice fivers and still do but reduced production to only the larger, higher priced units.
I'm so tired of all the manufactures coming out with new lines and touting themselves as luxury/high end and there's not one thing different about their build.
Then Vanleigh started up. Nothing specials about them at all and touting themselves as high-end with the likes of Lippert axles and cheap Chinese tires. Really? Beautiful paint though!
I will be watching but I'm not holding my breath. If its even as nice as a DRV or Riverstone I will be surprised. :popcorn:

Clee 01-05-2020 05:07 PM

A quality fifth wheel that should be cloned.

I own a 2000 King of the Road 5th wheel. They were a very high quality medium cost 5th wheel. I still get comments on they can't believe it is 20 years old. All of the interior cabinets were Amish made. I still have not had any problem with the frame, axles or slide out operation or mating with the body. Shortly before going out of business they developed a retracting porch that was a great add on.

If these people are really serious about building a unit that is above any thing else on the market they should take a good hard look at how and with what the King of the Road was manufactured.

jaearhart 01-05-2020 05:10 PM

Travel trailers, Mobile homes, prefab homes, cookie cutter project homes ! All have workmanship, product, component application QA/QC issues for the buyers to inspect and punch list after signing on the dotted line. Sales informs Service dept to manage all WARRANTY issues as per contract agreements. Unless its s spec built home you can be assured you will generate a punch list. Just business as we know it .

mike5511 01-05-2020 05:16 PM

I'll just hang on to my perpetual 10 year old Newmar 5ver, thank you very much.

jdpm 01-05-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike5511 (Post 5099681)
I'll just hang on to my perpetual 10 year old Newmar 5ver, thank you very much.

I totally understand that!
I feel the same way about our 2014 Lifestyle (Carriage carry-over).
This is the first year in 13 years we won't be attending the Tampa show. We have always gone just for fun with friends and to see the latest. The last year or 2 we have walked away saying nothing very positive about what we saw.....especially the quality. Everything just starts to look cheaper and cheaper every year.

09 harley 01-05-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpm (Post 5086035)

You forgot to mention New Horizons as an option. They produce quality 5th wheels. Of course they cost more and only those that are looking for quality will pay the price. The companies know that most people talk quality but won’t spend the money so we get shoddy construction and terrible factory support. When you sell very cheaply of course you get poor service. My brother had a Forest River Champagne Edition 5th wheel and it looked good. It was terrible and he couldn’t unload it fast enough. Now has New Horizons and new tow vehicle. Quality weighs more so the 550 is nice. I personally would have gone for the Sport Freightliner.
I believe that Spacecraft is also still in business again a full custom that costs double what the cheap poor quality rigs we now have.
Good luck with the new line and I hope the pricing doesn’t kill them. If they aren’t more expensive they won’t be any better. Simple economics.

chief2015 01-06-2020 07:36 AM

I have heard of them too. I just hope they avoid getting sucked into Thor's "fold" like Keystone and a few others, then maybe quality will remain good.

Hans45 01-06-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002dura (Post 5085957)
Looks like a new manufacturer of 5th wheels will be starting up in January. Alliance RV is completing a new factory and says they will be producing luxury fifth wheels. Most of the upper management seems to be coming from Heartland and then manufacturing from Grand Design. The Brady's were with Heartland before they got bought out. Looking forward to seeing what they come out with. Supposedly going to be at some shows in January, hopefully with some show units as there calendar does have models listed per event.

I found an interview from August.

I wonder how it compares to a New Horizons product. Many of the wish-list items on this thread comes standard in a New Horizons product.

Hans

LAKnox 01-06-2020 08:36 AM

Y'know, any privately-held company can avoid a buy-out pretty d@mn easily with one simple word; "NO". If it gets heated, then 2 words; "HELL, NO!"

Lyle

2002dura 01-06-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans45 (Post 5100371)
I wonder how it compares to a New Horizons product. Many of the wish-list items on this thread comes standard in a New Horizons product.

Hans

It won't compare to a New Horizons. The fifth wheel they are starting out with has a MSRP betweeen $80K and $100K. I don't understand why everyone is trying to compare them to fifth wheels costing double of what they are building.

Cumminsfan 01-06-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002dura (Post 5100565)
It won't compare to a New Horizons. The fifth wheel they are starting out with has a MSRP betweeen $80K and $100K. I don't understand why everyone is trying to compare them to fifth wheels costing double of what they are building.

x2
My guess is it will just look different and have a few different standard items. There's only so much you can do in the RV world of Lippert, Furrion, Jensen, Thomas Payne, Lazy Boy, Corian/LG, Luan, Azdel, pinch rolled, vacumn bonded PVC/EPDM. etc.
Pick from the lot of suppliers and mix and match. It's still an RV.

Kendorado 01-06-2020 05:04 PM

I have a 2018 VanLeigh Vilano (Tiffin) and so far it is perfect. Solid wood cabinetry, good layout, decent accessories like TVs, microwave, Etc. Most have a Furrion label but those are major companies with the Furrion name change.
With all of the components needed for an RV be it a class A, 5th wheel or class c, there WILL be some issues. The company's customer service is the key to success and so far I have heard only good remarks from VanLeigh's service.

TXiceman 01-06-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002dura (Post 5100565)

I would like to see them offer a line that is s the above the current price point. Step up and offer a real 4-season, full-time unit with dual pane windows, Mor/Ryde IS running gear, dishwasher, washer drier, Winegard Traveler, up graded flooring, upgraded insulation, upgraded furniture, etc as STANDARD. Not up to a custom unit like SpaceCraft. Go after the Thor owned DRV that is being run in the ground now.

Ken

MOTOMA 01-19-2020 11:19 AM

so I went on there website, the floor plans are the same as GD. We have been looking at Arctic Fox (they do build a better frame from their website showing). Now as far as the glits, beauty that you might want, well theirs is simpler more plane jane. Although certain models are hard to find. They do not mass produce. The model I like is the 32.5M which is 36'. they do come with dull pane windows, and auto leveling.
So its pretty much a crap shoot depending on what you want.

Phoneman 01-19-2020 06:14 PM

My wife and I had a chance to walk through a couple Alliance RV fifth wheels at the Pittsburgh RV Show and interviewed one of the co-owners. Ryan mentioned that their market is to compete with Montana and Solitude trailers. Below is a link to the video interview with Ryan Brady of Alliance RV.

https://youtu.be/HsHxcxemx-s

mike5511 01-19-2020 10:33 PM

How good could they be? They have to compete in the market. They could build them a little better and they still wouldn't be what they ought to be.

JayC 01-20-2020 05:27 PM

HERE is a video from Traveling Robert on the new Alliance RV at the Florida Supershow.

It's a pretty good looking rig.

Garyp4951 01-22-2020 04:27 PM

Thanks for posting the video, and it looks like they have some nice floor plans, and features for that price point.

JayC 01-22-2020 04:49 PM

Yep it looks like it may be worth a look.

AtomicRT 01-23-2020 02:02 PM

I did a quick walk-through at the show and it is definitely just another Montana/Solitude competitor. Same type quality and design. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. The hype reminds me a lot of when Grand Design came out. I suspect they will have a similar path: develop a loyal following and then cash out in a sale to one of the big manufacturers.

jdpm 01-23-2020 04:23 PM

Am I seeing this correctly? No ducted air conditioning? That's old entry level stick and tin stuff. No way would I go for that.

tuffr2 01-23-2020 06:05 PM

Having ducted air is a big must have feature. Heck, good catch as I thought ducted air was more standard, especially on nice 5th wheels.

jdpm 01-23-2020 06:15 PM

I am a lurker on Facebook and decided to join the Alliance Facebook page a couple of weeks ago. Its very active and the founders monitor it and respond quickly to questions, etc.
Many of the other members are so defensive. Cracks me up. An upstart company with followers who don't even own one of these rigs yet.
At any rate, one of the founders of Alliance responded to my inquiry about the ac system. The bedroom ac is ducted to allow a vent in the closet (yes, closet!) and bathroom. However, the 2 units in the main level are not ducted. I was told it allows the ac system to be more efficient.
I left the FB group as I'm have heard enough. I wish them luck but I see nothing special about their build quality that would make me want one.

smlranger 01-24-2020 05:47 PM

I am impressed that they recognize the real need for 3 AC units on any 5th wheel longer than about 36'. We have a 2019 41' Solitude with 2 15K btu ducted AC units and have a hard time cooling it well in hot weather. Grand Design should at least prep their larger units for a 3rd AC or offer it as an option.