iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   New 5th wheel Manufacturer (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/new-5th-wheel-manufacturer-472981.html)

jdpm 12-27-2019 02:50 PM

Of all the current and past production line fivers made over the years DRV is the only one left that offers something better engineered than the others. They have the stacked box frame, thicker sidewalls, slides that seal flush with the RV side, IS, disc brakes, 17.5 wheels, etc.
I guess all the other manufacturers are afraid of trying to build something comparable.
https://www.drvsuites.com/elite-suites-luxury-fifth-wheels/drv-advantages.html

JpalmerCass 12-27-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdpm (Post 5088702)
Of all the current and past production line fivers made over the years DRV is the only one left that offers something better engineered than the others. They have the stacked box frame, thicker sidewalls, slides that seal flush with the RV side, IS, disc brakes, 17.5 wheels, etc.
I guess all the other manufacturers are afraid of trying to build something comparable.
https://www.drvsuites.com/elite-suites-luxury-fifth-wheels/drv-advantages.html

Luxe offers that stuff too but your point still stands.

Recently I've been reading quite a bit about bad quality at DRV. I know all the "only the complainers go online" and all but it still gives me pause.

tuffr2 12-27-2019 04:06 PM

Once DRV started several years ago building Tradition 5th wheel they lowered their standards.

OP - I agree it is exciting to have a new 5th wheel. My observation years 2 - 4 are the best as that is when new companies in the RV industry peak. After that they all seem to go downhill.

Does anyone know of a company building a better product than the did 8 years ago?

jdpm 12-27-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JpalmerCass (Post 5088743)
Luxe offers that stuff too but your point still stands.

Recently I've been reading quite a bit about bad quality at DRV. I know all the "only the complainers go online" and all but it still gives me pause.

Agreed! I could have gotten a DRV for about the same price as my Lifestyle at the time but opted for the LS. I love some of the features of the DRV but even when I ordered the LS I was starting to read of more issues with DRV. I have heard that is more so the case since the 2014 takeover my THOR.
Keeping what I have!

glennwest 12-27-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consolenut (Post 5087822)
wishful thinking i guess. Ill keep my Teton till something else comes along thats actually an upgrade.

Custom build only.

HJLowell 12-27-2019 06:48 PM

What frame did Newmar and Teton homes
Casper Wyoming use ?
When they manufactured fivers ???
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXiceman (Post 5086838)
If they really want to shake up the RV market, they need to use a Young's Welding frame that is powder coated, dual pane windows, better insulation, better cabinets, heavier furniture and carpet, and Mor/Ryde IS suspension and American made tires rated fro the load.

Problem with this is it will make the Rv heavier and people can;t pull them with their 3/4 ton trucks and they will be more $$$$.

A number of higher end manufacturers have bit the dust and cannot keep up with the glitz from Thor and Forest River. I am very fornatuate that we got one of the last HitchHiker Champagnes. A well built, true 4-season, full time RV.

Ken


consolenut 12-28-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJLowell (Post 5088928)
What frame did Newmar and Teton homes
Casper Wyoming use ?
When they manufactured fivers ???

Teton built there own frames and still have the patent on them. The original owners the The Ingrams. Not the group that leased the name later on. Hence no one has built the "Big and tall" version since. Storage area size and height no one has come close. 4115 CCC says it quite strong. Can roll a 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly of mine.. Newmar used there own frames early then spec'd one for lippert to build later.

HJLowell 12-28-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consolenut (Post 5089420)
Teton built there own frames and still have the patent on them. The original owners the The Ingrams. Not the group that leased the name later on. Hence no one has built the "Big and tall" version since. Storage area size and height no one has come close. 4115 CCC says it quite strong. Can roll a 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly of mine.. Newmar used there own frames early then spec'd one for lippert to build later.

Thank you consolenut

keymastr 12-28-2019 10:53 AM

Thor took over DRV in 2016 and quality was pretty good through MOST of that year. After that it has seemed to take a downturn, but whose hasn't? If I was looking for a unit of that size and quality I would be taking a serious look at 2016 and older DRVs through either Rolling Retreats or Whiskey Mountain. Both specialize in them and can get you factory build sheets so you know what it came with and what was added by previous owners. Both also have a vast knowledge of these particular coaches and where the problems are likely to be, as well as best practices to fix them.

glennwest 12-28-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consolenut (Post 5089420)
Teton built there own frames and still have the patent on them. The original owners the The Ingrams. Not the group that leased the name later on. Hence no one has built the "Big and tall" version since. Storage area size and height no one has come close. 4115 CCC says it quite strong. Can roll a 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly of mine.. Newmar used there own frames early then spec'd one for lippert to build later.

Actually New Horizoms built an almost duplicate of Teton around 2010. It looked like a clone of mine.

POPPASMURF 12-28-2019 06:29 PM

IF ANY OF THE GANGSTERS FROM HEARTLAND ARE INVOLVED-i WOULD STEER VERY MUCH CLEAR. We remember well out water tank falling out, our friends had to have the front cap removed to rebuild the frame. They still can't use it as the wiring is a mess.

jdpm 12-29-2019 05:52 AM

There really is no accountability in the industry. They throw together crap as fast as they can, shut down overnight, sell- out, and change line-ups constantly.
All the new stuff I've seen looks incredibly cheap inside. It's all about the speed in which they can push it out.

jdpm 01-02-2020 08:00 AM

https://rv-pro.com/news/alliance-rv-...ws-fifth-wheel


Doesn't look like anything special.
Traditional framed windows. On the subject of windows, that's not a bad idea as frameless windows look sleek and have become so popular tend to leak at the seal allowing water to get in behind the exterior wall and the owner never knows. Trust me.....its going on all over the industry regardless of brand.
The roof edge does not appear to be a rolled edge which make the rig look less expensive.
Cheap looking laminate rear wall instead of molded fiberglass.
The flush floor kitchen slide is nice and the pocket door in the bathroom. It would be nice to see more companies putting opposing slides in the bedroom.
I'm not expecting anything especial but time will tell.

Cumminsfan 01-02-2020 09:42 AM

I see that they have a pre-crack stress joint under the bed slide corners. Big thread over on the Jayco owner forum where Jayco doesn't build their 5th wheels with it and many owners are getting cracks in that area.
Thats a plus.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.