iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Headlights out! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/headlights-out-473703.html)

MSHappyCampers 01-01-2020 02:47 PM

Headlights out!

1 Attachment(s)
Both headlights out! The 25A fuse is good. Bulbs are good. 12VDC out of the dash headlight switch is good. Not getting any 12VDC at the headlight bulb sockets. Don't know what to check next! :banghead:

Below is a pic of two control boards in the outside front electrical compartment on the driver's side. I can't find any reference to them in the owner's manual. Don't know if they have anything to do with the headlights.

Attachment 271149

twinboat 01-01-2020 03:16 PM

The output from the headlight switch goes to the hi/low beam switch, then to the bulbs.

Paul L. 01-01-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5094750)
The output from the headlight switch goes to the hi/low beam switch, then to the bulbs.

Twinboat is right. Try flashing your highbeams from the turn signal stalk. Do you have a Smart Wheel? Will they come on using that?

-Paul

8.3Oilbuner 01-01-2020 05:01 PM

Hi Joe, I am going to side with what Twinboat posted. If I remember correctly in the old days of the switch on the floor for Hi & Low beams, if that foot switch completely went out you would still have parking lights but no headlights. Don't have any vehicles configured that way anymore to test that theory. You might want to check the connection at the bottom of the steering column next. Also the 2 pictures you posted, the board to your left is the ABS board. My 01 Windsor has that also. The other board almost looks like a slide out control board, but I am not 100% sure on that. I thought most Windsor's have the slide out control board in the passenger rear electrical compartment.

I don't know if any of this info helps Joe and I hope you find the problem. Let us know how you fixed it as inquiring mind want to know! Good luck! Also a later thought Joe. I think you mentioned that you got a new headlight switch. Is that new switch 100% the same as the old one. Just an after thought!

jayrodoh 01-01-2020 05:01 PM

Long shot here as I have no idea what equipment you have but try moving your tilt column up/down. I had trucks in the past where the hi/low switch would get stuck in between and tilting the column “reset” the rod running down from the stalk. This is assuming you have the high/low on the turn signal stalk.

Rusty Kramer 01-01-2020 05:12 PM

Joe,
Didn't this problem arise when you were replacing your headlamps with some aftermarket lamps? You had a previous thread about replacing them... Just asking.

Spdracr39 01-01-2020 05:23 PM

I have had both headlights fail before and tore half my truck apart before I thought to check the bulbs.

Dom 01-01-2020 05:45 PM

If you installed new headlights, is there an inline fuse also?. Might also be worth it to recheck fuses/make sure right fuse

Damion 01-01-2020 06:25 PM

If you have the Smart Wheel, the plug on the output for the head lights is known to fry it's self or the module its self! Mine did!

MSHappyCampers 01-02-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner (Post 5094881)
Hi Joe, I am going to side with what Twinboat posted. If I remember correctly in the old days of the switch on the floor for Hi & Low beams, if that foot switch completely went out you would still have parking lights but no headlights. Don't have any vehicles configured that way anymore to test that theory. You might want to check the connection at the bottom of the steering column next. Also the 2 pictures you posted, the board to your left is the ABS board. My 01 Windsor has that also. The other board almost looks like a slide out control board, but I am not 100% sure on that. I thought most Windsor's have the slide out control board in the passenger rear electrical compartment.

I don't know if any of this info helps Joe and I hope you find the problem. Let us know how you fixed it as inquiring mind want to know! Good luck! Also a later thought Joe. I think you mentioned that you got a new headlight switch. Is that new switch 100% the same as the old one. Just an after thought!

Yes, the new headlight switch is the same as the old one. Actually, I think the old one is OK. The headlights were intermittent and I thought it was the switch. No such luck! :banghead:

MSHappyCampers 01-02-2020 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayrodoh (Post 5094882)
Long shot here as I have no idea what equipment you have but try moving your tilt column up/down. I had trucks in the past where the hi/low switch would get stuck in between and tilting the column “reset” the rod running down from the stalk. This is assuming you have the high/low on the turn signal stalk.

Thanks, I'll try that! :thumb::D

MSHappyCampers 01-02-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damion (Post 5094981)
If you have the Smart Wheel, the plug on the output for the head lights is known to fry it's self or the module its self! Mine did!

I have the covers off the steering column and only see the large wiring connector. Is there another one that you're referring to?

MSHappyCampers 01-02-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer (Post 5094893)
Joe,
Didn't this problem arise when you were replacing your headlamps with some aftermarket lamps? You had a previous thread about replacing them... Just asking.

The headlights were intermittent before I decided to replace the housings. Then they quit completely!

MSHappyCampers 01-02-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom (Post 5094931)
If you installed new headlights, is there an inline fuse also?. Might also be worth it to recheck fuses/make sure right fuse

There is a main 25A fuse but it's good! I've checked every fuse I could find that I thought might somehow be connected to the headlights!