iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Bird Nest Cleaning! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bird-nest-cleaning-480960.html)

Bajasoon 03-09-2020 10:46 AM

Bird Nest Cleaning!

Hi there,
I have a Winnobago Journey with 2 slides. The open bedroom slide was inviting to a bird who proceeded to try to build a nest where the large brace slides in and out of the RV. Very narrow slits / openings on both sides, but I'm afraid some mud and debri got pushed up in there. I've swept and vacuumed what I can, but the nozzle of the vacuum doesn't go in very far.
I'm wondering if I can either try to blow any remaining debri out with air, or force out with a hose?
Can someone advise as to how far in any debri could have gone...or if I will hurt anything if I use water pressure to rinse out the area...or air? I am, of course, worried about closing the slide and grinding dirt into the mechanisms there. What, exactly is that area composed of? Does anyone know? Will water be okay to use?
Any ideas will be mucho appreciated!!
Thanks, everyone,
Dawn

grindstone01 03-09-2020 11:01 AM

Contact a Winnebago dealer or the company.

FIRE UP 03-09-2020 04:20 PM

Dawn,
Well, I'd have to see your mechanism. The reason is, I have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and two slides. I have rebuilt the ram that powers the bedroom slide twice. The ram is a very small diameter ram, about 1/2" in diameter. The ram is the primary critical part in that mechanism. The huge square tube around it, is there to make up the structural strength of the total mechanism.

I don't know if your mechanisms are similar to mine but, if they are, then you could bend a coat hanger into a form of a hook and reach in from the bottom outside and maybe fish it in there and possibly hook any debris that the little rascal might have deposited. I had to get an inspection camera (the ones with the 3' snake type lens) and look around in my square tube when I was fixing mine. If you could acquire the same type of camera, you might get a glimpse to see if there's anything in there that's not gonna damage anything by the travel of the slide.
Scott

chindog 03-09-2020 05:00 PM

I had something similar happen a couple of years ago on my Discovery. I've got a cubby hole under my full wall slide where the utility lines are stored when the slide is retracted. A pair of birds decided that would make a good place for a nest. I pulled out most of it by hand, then used a flexible snake type grabber for what else I could get to, then finally blew out the remaining debris with my leaf blower. I had to use a hand mirror to see that I got everything out.

Bajasoon 03-10-2020 09:41 AM

Thank you for your responses! I don't think I will get my hands on such a camera as mentioned...I'm in a Baja, Mexico right now...but will use a coat hanger and mirror as much as I can and I think I can borrow a blower. I also have an on board compressor and will try that too. I just wasn't sure if blowing air and water in there would push any debri farther in and make things worse. I'm going to find system schematics (spelling ??) on line and see what I can see about what's in there.
Love the forum and appreciate the help!
Thanks...and have a good day!
Dawn