iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   5th wheel advice please (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/5th-wheel-advice-please-495649.html)

txamylady 07-06-2020 10:43 PM

5th wheel advice please

My husband and I are looking to purchase a 5th wheel. We would like a used 2017 thru 2019 luxury 5th wheel and are willing to spend up to 110,000. I am retired military and have done so much due diligence that I have totally confused myself. We have looked at the Luxe, the Vilano, Agusta Luxe, Agusta Ambition, DRV....any other suggestions or advice. We want a model with a rear bedroom and front living room. What would you buy for yourself if you were looking in that price range? I am very confused about what brand to get. I hear talk about Thor, and new Luxe vs older Agusta Luxe and really need some sound advice.

HDGoose 07-07-2020 04:17 AM

Do you have TV already? That could be a limiting factor for pin weight.

Otherwise, make your list of must haves, then nice to haves, and make a spreadsheet of the models you find. That's the logical approach.

All will have some issues. Researching internet reviews will paralyze you and you won't buy any of them.

Look for owners boards also.

With the current boom in RV sales, I am looking forward to a slightly bused model in 2-4 years.

consolenut 07-07-2020 06:49 AM

For 110k id look at a used New Horizons. DRV etc maybe by new but for the quality of the used new horizons cant go wrong. TV plan on F450 or bigger at a minimum. Can never ever have to much truck.

bigchick 07-07-2020 07:00 AM

we have a cardinal 3825 with the front living room and tow it just fine with a 3500 dually.

while it works for us you still have to do your research.

psmiller 07-07-2020 07:58 AM

We love our DRV 39RESB3 and have K3500 DRW as tv. It has the rearliving area, center kitchen and front bedroom...a great floor plan Highly recommend full body paint also...most of the higher end fifth wheels have.

Lt Dan 07-07-2020 08:01 AM

First off, Welcome to IRV2!

You might also take a look at the VanLeigh fifth wheels. That's a division of Tiffin and the one I have seen is top notch.

TXiceman 07-07-2020 08:22 AM

For the trailers you are looking at, you will need a current 1 ton dually as a minimum. Personally, I'd be looking for a nice used high end RV.

Ken

450Donn 07-07-2020 08:26 AM

I personally would never get a front living room for a couple of reasons. First would be the added pin weight front living rooms bring. Second would be the stairs. I simply dont want to climb stairs mutiple times a day going up to and down from the living room.

Bob_C 07-07-2020 08:51 AM

Forest River's Riverstone is a nice one....

CecilD 07-07-2020 09:43 AM

The front living Vilano only has 1,700# of cargo capacity before options. This is really low for a rig that size and would be a deal killer for many.

rollinbrian 07-07-2020 09:47 AM

We have a 'luxury' from Jayco - their shortlived Designer line (one notch above the Pinnacle). And I do most of all the repairs and maintenance on it which has helped me to see the difference between 'better built' and 'has all the options". As I've looked at other brands and even contemplated what we might move to in the years to come New Horizons and DRV are among the top two that catch my eye.

chunker 07-08-2020 05:38 AM

I would remove the Vilano, or any Vanleigh produce, from a luxury list. Over priced run of the mill construction just not made in IN. The apparent QC of Tiffin didn't make it to the Vanleigh line.

slallen1262 07-08-2020 11:11 AM

Definitely look at used New Horizons. https://horizonsrv.com/for-sale/

Bradley222 07-08-2020 01:24 PM

We purchased our 2020 Vanliegh Vilano 370 GB in May, 2020. In CA, this brand new fifth wheel was priced at $106K, purchase price was $74K. (A Great deal!) Other than minor things needing to be fixed by the dealership, it’s a great fifth wheel, very sturdy well-made, All hardwood and excellent appliances, with excellent customer service from Vanliegh, the manufacturer (a Div of Tiffin) We really like the floor plan –Mocha woodw/creme sofa/chairs, huge bedroom, large private bathroom towards the back of the fifth wheel, large great room type set up with living, Galley, lots of big windows, etc. In the past 20 years, we have had A class rigs – both Winnebago and Beaver (both very good and comfortable). We have a Ford F450 Dooley for towing – this is a heavy fifth wheel so this pulls the rig with no problem. We did a lot of research before this purchase, and we found that it really depends on the dealership or party you purchase it from -we have spoken to Vanliegh on the phone a couple times and they have excellent customer service! We also looked at the DRV & Luxe (which we felt were very overpriced) Grand design and a few others. We decided on Vanliegh and we are very happy with the quality and design. We have found that any RV you purchase whether it is used or brand new, you will always have issues that need to be addressed over the first year – hopefully they aren’t critical. Good thing is,Vanliegh stands behind their Fifth Wheel products.