iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Smelly fresh water ..again. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/smelly-fresh-water-again-498482.html)

Odessa 07-24-2020 08:25 AM

Smelly fresh water ..again.

Has anyone used 'pool shock' ( calcium hypochlorite) in their fresh water tank to keep the water potable?

MSHappyCampers 07-24-2020 08:37 AM

Just curious. Does the original source of that water not smell the same or is it just after it's been in the tank a while?

lonfu 07-24-2020 09:29 AM

most of the time moho's get a 'sulfur" smell from the water heater as "bugs" will grow in the hot water tank. From time to time the "bugs" will migrate back to the water tank if the system sits dormant long enough.

I use ordinary unscented bleach. I drain the hot water heater then I pour it into the fresh water hose. I must do this several times to get enough into the system. Then I fill the hot water heater and lines completely with my bleach mix from the fresh water hose. I let the water heater drain from the bottom until I can smell the bleach in the water, close the drain and let it flow from pressure relief valve until I can smell the bleach.

Then I run some bleach into the water tank until it is full and comes out the top vent valve. I make sure I can smell bleach coming from all the faucet valves in the coach including the outside sprayer/valve. It doesn't take huge amount of bleach but it has to hit all surfaces to do it's job. Let it sit for a couple of days to do it's job. Drive the coach a bit so the water sloshes around in your fresh water tank to hit all the surfaces. Then drain and flush until you can't smell the bleach anymore.

one coach was so bado that I had to do this 3 times over several months to get rid of the "rotten egg smell" that was in all of the lines.

GCSuper 07-24-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonfu (Post 5363491)
most of the time moho's get a 'sulfur" smell from the water heater as "bugs" will grow in the hot water tank. From time to time the "bugs" will migrate back to the water tank if the system sits dormant long enough.

I use ordinary unscented bleach. I drain the hot water heater then I pour it into the fresh water hose. I must do this several times to get enough into the system. Then I fill the hot water heater and lines completely with my bleach mix from the fresh water hose. I let the water heater drain from the bottom until I can smell the bleach in the water, close the drain and let it flow from pressure relief valve until I can smell the bleach.

Then I run some bleach into the water tank until it is full and comes out the top vent valve. I make sure I can smell bleach coming from all the faucet valves in the coach including the outside sprayer/valve. It doesn't take huge amount of bleach but it has to hit all surfaces to do it's job. Let it sit for a couple of days to do it's job. Drive the coach a bit so the water sloshes around in your fresh water tank to hit all the surfaces. Then drain and flush until you can't smell the bleach anymore.

one coach was so bado that I had to do this 3 times over several months to get rid of the "rotten egg smell" that was in all of the lines.

If you use "unscented" bleach, how do you smell it ?

00 Buckshot 07-24-2020 10:11 AM

I don't use it to keep the water potable but I do use it to sanitize the tank and lines each spring.

Darwin 07-24-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonfu (Post 5363491)

I add one step. Add apple cider vinegar

Persistent 07-25-2020 06:32 AM

Perfume

Unscented bleach smells like chlorine. Scented bleach smells like what ever perfume has been added. Perfume is good in laundry. Perfume is not good in a potable water system.:dance:

Odessa 07-25-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odessa (Post 5363387)
Has anyone used 'pool shock' ( calcium hypochlorite) in their fresh water tank to keep the water potable?

Hi, It seems to happen every time I refill my tank. I used to fill from my well..through the water softener but now I use city water. It doesn't have a really 'bad' smell to it, but it tastes really bad. Even my dogs don't want to drink it. I don't notice the taste in coffee, but sure do drinking from the tap. I thought maybe the pool shock would be a quick fix..

twogypsies 07-25-2020 02:58 PM

You shouldn't drink water that has gone through a water softener. That's why kitchen sinks aren't typically connected to the softener.

Have you considered taking a sample of your water to your local water facility for testing to see what's in it?

Jake21 07-25-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogypsies (Post 5365304)
You shouldn't drink water that has gone through a water softener. That's why kitchen sinks aren't typically connected to the softener.

Have you considered taking a sample of your water to your local water facility for testing to see what's in it?

That is a new one to me. Why should you not?

twogypsies 07-25-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake21 (Post 5365319)
That is a new one to me. Why should you not?

It depends on several factors... how hard your water is that's being treated, if it's a salt-based water system and how many glasses of water you drink and if you have medical issues. Elevated sodium in your diet can occur. It doesn't affect everyone but it can affect some. Even a tiny bit of elevated sodium in a person's diet with medical issues isn't good.

twogypsies 07-25-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odessa (Post 5363387)

A downside of calcium hypochlorite is leaving calcium deposits on piping and the tank. You should probably clean the lines and hot water heater periodically with vinegar. . just depends if you're an occasional user of the RV or using it constantly as a full-timer would do. You might not want to leave the water set in your tank inbetween trips.

Jake21 07-25-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogypsies (Post 5365330)
It depends on several factors... how hard your water is that's being treated, if it's a salt-based water system and how many glasses of water you drink and if you have medical issues. Elevated sodium in your diet can occur. It doesn't affect everyone but it can affect some. Even a tiny bit of elevated sodium in a person's diet with medical issues isn't good.

Did not know that. I have a filter for my drinking water that filters out sodium so I should be good. But in my quick web searching, looks like softeners add about 8mg per quart. RDA is 2300mg per day and looks like most Americans daily intake is closer to 3400mg.

Auntie Doni 07-25-2020 06:21 PM

So, which better? Vinegar or Bleach?
And what ratios?
I was just reading elsewhere about this ... still a wannabe so, there's that