iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   Water while boondocking (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/water-while-boondocking-498707.html)

Gdlow 07-25-2020 03:53 PM

Water while boondocking

Will be going camping in a couple of weeks. Issue, I lose 1/3 to 1/2 tank of water while traveling. My pump seems to work in mh, but if I try to add water via pump from outside, pump doesn’t seem to work to get water to tank. How do I trouble shoot that? Or alternatively how to best get water to tank if no city water hookup.
Thanks

SomeDay 07-25-2020 04:03 PM

We boondock all the time and initial fill is from hose/city hook up (no pump). Can connect at wet bay area or just place hose into opening for water fill on side near tank. We only ever put our pump on when using water faucets inside the rig and switch off immediately when done. Never have pump on when filling or "if" ever on full hookups, and switch bypass back and forth as required for a city fill when connecting to fill at the wet bay area.

We also carry extra water with us in canisters and just pour straight into the fill (remove cap and just pour), located near the fresh water tank itself.

Curious why you are losing 1/3 to half a tank during travelling and why you need to use pump to fill the tank?

Cannot get water inside RV even with pump when the Bypass at wet bay doesn't get switched back inadvertently after a city fill in that area.

Not sure if any of this helps.

Gdlow 07-25-2020 04:09 PM

I think I have a syphoning issue when traveling. But need to add water after I arrive. Not sure I can just pour it in. Pump works fine inside.
Are you in MH or 5th wheel

Richard S. 07-25-2020 07:33 PM

You can not just pour water in, it is a pressure fill system. You can use the suction port on the service panel to draw water from a container and it will pump it to the required area. It will not pump it into the fresh water tank. You can get a small portable pump that can be powered by a drill motor and pump from a container to you tank fill port.

firedoc 07-25-2020 07:49 PM

Water while boondocking

My bad

chboone 07-26-2020 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gdlow (Post 5365298)
Will be going camping in a couple of weeks. Issue, I lose 1/3 to 1/2 tank of water while traveling. My pump seems to work in mh, but if I try to add water via pump from outside, pump doesn’t seem to work to get water to tank. How do I trouble shoot that? Or alternatively how to best get water to tank if no city water hookup.
Thanks

You need to reroute the fresh water overflow drain to a higher location or drill a small hole in the tube at the high point where it connects to the tanks. Just need to break the siphoning through the overflow line. Also, are you make sure the fresh water tanks are both full when you finish filling them? I say both because my Dolphin has two tanks connected together by a small line. I need to fill the first tank 3 or four times before the second tank catches up with the first. I fill the first tank until water starts coming from the overflow line stop filling go do something for about ten to fifteen minutes. Repeat cycle until water starts coming out of overflow line as soon as I turn the water on.

Gdlow 07-26-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard S. (Post 5365595)
You can not just pour water in, it is a pressure fill system. You can use the suction port on the service panel to draw water from a container and it will pump it to the required area. It will not pump it into the fresh water tank. You can get a small portable pump that can be powered by a drill motor and pump from a container to you tank fill port.

And therein lives the problem...For some reason the onboard pump works to transport water inside the coach, but won't when trying to use the suction port. If I use a portable pump attached to a drill will is fill the tank if set on tank fill on the service panel?

Richard S. 07-26-2020 04:00 PM

yes

Gdlow 07-27-2020 09:29 AM

Thanks...will give it a go

Glenn.Garvey 08-22-2020 02:47 PM

You might have a small air leak in your system, if the suction side of the pump is pulling air, it will not suck water. Check the filter screen on the pump. Harbor freight sells a 12v transfer pump, or buy a second water pump. I use it to my second pump to transfer water and as a spare just in case.