iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   Extreme Heat (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/extreme-heat-501603.html)

cptjames72 08-11-2020 10:22 AM

Extreme Heat

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Newbie RV'er thinking about renting out the house, buying an RV and hitting the road. I'm able to work from home full time now so the only thing I need is an internet connection.

I've done a lot of research on mobile RV internet and feel confident I could put together a pretty bullet proof truly unlimited unthrottled setup.

Back to the topic at hand. I'd have to stay in the general area of my office for around a year so was looking into long term RV resorts. Found some good ones, good prices then the elephant in the room hit me. I live in Arizona in the Phoenix area where it gets hotter than the surface of the sun

I've been looking at Class C's around the 32' range and most have 1 15,000 BTU unit which I've been reading isn't enough in extreme heat. A friend of mine suggested using an RV roof canopy might help.

Is 1 15k BTU AC enough in a new RV enough with temps getting over 110 on occasion? With roof canopy? 2 11,000 units?

Go north where it's cooler? lol

Thanks again for the replies.

A32Deuce 08-11-2020 11:52 AM

Don't get a dark painted one and put awnings at all your side windows and use a solid outside the windshield cover.

A32Deuce 08-11-2020 12:03 PM

This is what I have/do. Spent 6 months in Southern Alabama with the A/C set on 74 and it cycled on and off. Temps ran from high ups to low ops and we were in direct Sun all day. On the cab over Windows and rear window, I cut to fit that reflective insulation they sell at Lowes.

tommar 08-11-2020 12:05 PM

IMHO, you'll need 2 15K BTU units... Also, IMHO, a Class C is gonna be tight and very small. Most likely, you'll also need 50A electric service; that is, your MH will need to have a 50A power cord.

Old-Biscuit 08-11-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommar (Post 5392243)
IMHO, you'll need 2 15K BTU units... Also, IMHO, a Class C is gonna be tight and very small. Most likely, you'll also need 50A electric service; that is, your MH will need to have a 50A power cord.

DO Class C have 50A Service???

One 15K A/C will have to run almost continuously cause day temps temps will be brutal BUT it doesn't cool down at Night in Phoenix/Valley of the SUN

Arch Hoagland 08-11-2020 12:46 PM

Have you ever owned rental property before?

Xmcdog 08-11-2020 12:46 PM

Keep in mind that if the temps hit around the 115f mark, the units will shut down on high head pressure.

GoneToTheDog 08-11-2020 12:47 PM

One air conditioner in an over 30ft Class C is not gonna cut it. No way, when it it is over 100 degrees.

If you have your internet needs under control already.....hey, it has wheels....head for the cooler places.

Otherwise, there are ways to beat the heat. Blocking the sun is crucial.

Our Class C is 26 ft bumper to bumper. No slide out. Air conditioner is ducted, 15k.
Dual pane tinted windows, of which there are only three. Installed outside awnings on all windows which help dramatically with the heat load. Of course there is also the patio awning.
Took out the original pleated style shades and installed dual sun screen/solid roller shades. Huge improvement. A solid white cover on the outside of the windshield and cab windows makes a big difference also.
We can keep our Class C quite comfortable, even in pretty high temps now.

oldecmech 08-11-2020 01:21 PM

Class C Entegras and sister Jayco Greyhawks are available with two 11,000 btu air conditioners. They use 30 amp power with a power management system.

CC38EL 08-11-2020 07:08 PM

The thing I think about most with air conditioners is the lack of redundancy. If you lose your a/c, you are looking at a week or more either in a hotel, or in hades.

I would want 2 a/c's if I'm working out of my RV. And as already stated, you would need 2 that were pre-installed with their load management systems to run on 30amp or if you add one to a 30amp RV you'll need a load manager or do it manually.

Doing it manually is easy until you want to microwave your coffee.

Just my .02

cptjames72 08-11-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland (Post 5392302)
Have you ever owned rental property before?

Yes I have. I use a property management company. They get a flat fee every month and half the first month's rent for finding a tenant, adverting,etc.

cptjames72 08-11-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC38EL (Post 5392825)
The thing I think about most with air conditioners is the lack of redundancy. If you lose your a/c, you are looking at a week or more either in a hotel, or in hades.

I would want 2 a/c's if I'm working out of my RV. And as already stated, you would need 2 that were pre-installed with their load management systems to run on 30amp or if you add one to a 30amp RV you'll need a load manager or do it manually.

Doing it manually is easy until you want to microwave your coffee.

Just my .02

I think in the end if I want to stay in the valley during the summer I'm going to need an RV with two 11,000 units. If I head north during the summer months one 15k would be fine.

I really like the Entegra Odyssey 30z floor plan but there's no option for 2 11k AC units. Was looking at the Thor Chateau/ Four Winds 31B floor plans. They do offer 2 11k units. Still trying to figure out the different between the two..lol

Thanks everyone for your help. Not doing anything until next Spring so I have plenty of time for research.

DbleDutch 08-11-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjames72 (Post 5392081)
Thanks in advance for the replies.

I live in Arizona in the Phoenix area where it gets hotter than the surface of the sun

Go north where it's cooler? lol

Go North :thumb:

JohnBoyToo 08-11-2020 10:40 PM

Will one ac do it ?

NO, not even if it is a high efficiency 100,000 btu unit (They don't make them!)

I have 3 high efficiency 15k units and they work WELL, but I never let the sun heating get ahead of my cooling or I won't catch up until the night... Awnings on the windows and to keep sun off the side helps... Reflectix on the windshield helps... but...

I think you are setting yourself up for a real issue... maybe rent your own house for a bit until you can go up or out ! :)
Going to south louisiana end of the month - will let you know if we survive !