iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Trip planning: bring vegetables, avoiding markets? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/trip-planning-bring-vegetables-avoiding-markets-501924.html)

profdan 08-13-2020 10:22 AM

Trip planning: bring vegetables, avoiding markets?

We are very experienced RV travelers -- have taken many trips of a month or more -- but that was all in the pre-Covid past.

Now we are grappling with an odd problem -- we want to take a little two week trip without going into a market the whole time. A week is no problem -- we can bring whatever we need. But for more than ten days, how to avoid shopping, especially for vegetables?

We can bring plenty of canned meat. It is not great, but it is ok. But canned vegetables are terrible. Frozen veggies take up too much room in the freezer.

So is there some magic solution out there that we have not discovered?

And yes, of course we could just go shopping. But I am in one of those high-risk groups, so we are being ultra-careful. Getting gasoline is a little different -- it can't be avoided, it's outside, and there is a lot of distance between customers.

Thanks in advance for your clever ideas and suggestions!!

purduepete97 08-13-2020 10:28 AM

Especially this time of year, see if there are any farm stands or farmers' markets where you're staying. Still shopping, but seems it would be lower risk than a grocery store.

Pete

johninsd 08-13-2020 10:43 AM

You might look into adding a second freezer for vegetables - there are 12 volt compressor driven small freezers available for a few hundred dollars, plug into a cigar lighter outlet and use very little energy. I have an Alpicool 15 liter one in my Itasca Navion, bought a few years ago when my Norcold was acting up and I didn't want to abort the trip or deal with a cooler and ice. Available on Amazon (unless you live in California).

twogypsies 08-13-2020 10:50 AM

Many stores now have pickup for groceries. WalMart does. You do have to plan ahead a little. Online... create your order and they'll give you a pickup date. Very nice option.

However, if you grocery shop now what's the difference in doing it on your trip. Mask up. Our WalMart is extremely good about sanitizing the carts before they'll let you take one.

Farm market is another option but you don't know how many people handled the product and what their conditions were. I even cringe in the grocery store when I see people picking up produce and putting it back.
I'd wash it good, for sure.

RickNC 08-13-2020 12:04 PM

Trip planning: bring vegetables, avoiding markets?

1 Attachment(s)
We are on day 9 of our trip. I added a small 1.1 cf freezer a month ago and so far we have not been in a store other than to buy milk. Using mostly frozen foods and a few dry we are stocked for minimum 14 days. To save freezer space we have been unpacking the boxes the food comes in . Fresh food, we have picked up a few tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini from farm stands along the way.
When we do shop again, We plan to arrive early when the fewest people are there and the store is the cleanest.(just like at home). Everything that comes in gets sanitized before being put away or used.

At gas stations, I was using the disposable food service gloves, but that seemed really wasteful so I now keep a large bottle of hand sanitizer in one bay to sanitize my hands before going in the RV to wash them.

We both wear N95 masks when near other so we are protected even when they are not being considerate.

You can this and be safe, just have to develop a routine and stick to it.

Attachment 297003

bob caldwell 08-13-2020 12:04 PM

Won't fly if going to Calif......fresh vegetables, that is...

SomeDay 08-13-2020 12:15 PM

As others have said you must be getting your groceries right now? Whether masking, sanitising and entering a store during quiet times yourselves or doing curb side pick up, so do the same way as you travel at the point in your trip you need to stock up.

Alternatively stop at a farmers market/stall if not too busy and again mask up, wear fresh gloves to handle the fruit/veg and dispose immediately when done. Wash/wipe down items, outside of the RV when you get back to base.

We are high risk ourselves, but because we don't like the quality/out of date/damaged goods when they select for you, we do mask, sanitize our own carts and shop during quieter times. I also grab a handful of the fruit and veggie thin bags and wear them on my hands as I test quality of fruit, bacon sifting etc, turning them inside out and disposing of as I go to each area. It's worked for us, post getting this darn virus twice in our household. So believe me I hear your concerns, but there has to be a happy balance in all this somewhere.

Have an awesome trip.

Alpine36 08-13-2020 12:27 PM

We keep a dedicated Yeti 65qt cooler in the basement just for fruits and veggies. One frozen gallon milk jug keeps veggies nice for two weeks no problem. DW also blanches several ears of corn, a mess of peas and bush beans and keeps those in the freezer.
We do most of our shopping very early in the AM, long before most people are out and about.

Craig36 08-13-2020 12:42 PM

Since you don't have an electronic signature, I do not know what you are driving or towing.

We stock our freezer with Costco skinless boneless chicken breasts. They are huge and we seniors usually share one. Can cook on grill or in the oven. Also from Costco individually wrapped Sockeye Salmon fillets are a quick simple meal. We also make up hamburger patties and freeze them for later grilling.

From Trader Joe's, we bring individual frozen bags of rice and dark chocolate bars!

Regarding frozen vegetables, I totally disagree. The bags are flexible and you can squeeze a lot into available spaces.

allenb12 08-13-2020 04:18 PM

We have not been in a grocery store since early March. Just use Walmart pick up.

Bobby F 08-13-2020 06:50 PM

A small (high-quality) cooler, and $20 worth of dry ice, will keep a pile of frozen veggies easily for a week. Eat the cooler-foods first, and then move on to the freezer-foods.

(I was surprised how many places sell dry ice around me.)

profdan 08-13-2020 09:40 PM

Lots of great tips and ideas -- thanks!

And the difference between shopping at home and on the road is the frequency -- we have a big fridge and a big freezer at home, so DW goes shopping no more than once every two weeks.

SomeDay 08-14-2020 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profdan (Post 5395980)
Lots of great tips and ideas -- thanks!

And the difference between shopping at home and on the road is the frequency -- we have a big fridge and a big freezer at home, so DW goes shopping no more than once every two weeks.

Frequency? I'm a little confused. If you are only going for 2 weeks as indicated in your initial post on this question, then it is just, "maybe" if your frozen veggies and fresh veggies you stock up on (which for two of you I'm sure you could make work) don't last, it's just one extra quick trip in a store or veggie stall for your wife no?

Go enjoy your trip, and don't sweat the small stuff in this instance. Mask, Sanitize, Distance, avoid crowds where possible = that's the best any of us can do right now :thumb:

PirateFoxy 08-14-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeDay (Post 5396123)
Frequency? I'm a little confused. If you are only going for 2 weeks as indicated in your initial post on this question, then it is just, "maybe" if your frozen veggies and fresh veggies you stock up on (which for two of you I'm sure you could make work) don't last, it's just one extra quick trip in a store or veggie stall for your wife no?

Go enjoy your trip, and don't sweat the small stuff in this instance. Mask, Sanitize, Distance, avoid crowds where possible = that's the best any of us can do right now :thumb:

Also most places even if they donít have a sophisticated curbside pickup or delivery system will accommodate sending an employee out to get a list and then bringing your items out to you if you go at a slow time and have a need to avoid crowds, like being high risk. Just give them a call and ask.