iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Short Mattress Remedy (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/short-mattress-remedy-504.html)

Boris and Natasha 12-05-2008 08:38 PM

Like many, our MH came with a short queen mattress. With the slides in there's no space for anything longer. Neither of us is height challenged, so we've been looking for a solution for this particular "shortage".

We think we found it, so I thought I'd share. We ordered a custom-size foam bolster the width and height of our mattress (and topper) and made it 5 inches long to make up for the missing length in the mattress. We had a sheet-like cover made for the bolster.

When we're underway, the bolster sits on the bed like a big pillow. When we setup, we pull the mattress out from the headboard just far enough to slip in the bolster and make up the bed (with regular size sheets). With that, the shortage is overcome!

We just have to remember to dismantle the bed before we pull the slides in!

We ordered the bolster at Knox Foam and we have no affiliation with the place other than being happy customers.

Hope this helps fellow tall campers!

Natasha

Boris and Natasha 12-05-2008 08:38 PM

Like many, our MH came with a short queen mattress. With the slides in there's no space for anything longer. Neither of us is height challenged, so we've been looking for a solution for this particular "shortage".

We think we found it, so I thought I'd share. We ordered a custom-size foam bolster the width and height of our mattress (and topper) and made it 5 inches long to make up for the missing length in the mattress. We had a sheet-like cover made for the bolster.

When we're underway, the bolster sits on the bed like a big pillow. When we setup, we pull the mattress out from the headboard just far enough to slip in the bolster and make up the bed (with regular size sheets). With that, the shortage is overcome!

We just have to remember to dismantle the bed before we pull the slides in!

We ordered the bolster at Knox Foam and we have no affiliation with the place other than being happy customers.

Hope this helps fellow tall campers!

Natasha

Ken Lenger 12-06-2008 05:03 AM

Thanks for the link to the supplier. I've book marked it. I need to do something for the bed in our Tiffin. It's a short queen, and part of the mattress is under the windows covering making the bed even shorter. Do you have any drooping where the mattress overhangs the foundation?

Boris and Natasha 12-06-2008 09:42 AM

Ken - You're very welcome. No drooping yet, but we're very mindful not to sit on the end of the bed.

The bolster idea was sparked by having a similar situation to yours. The headboard covers the top inch or two of the mattress, so we got into the habit of pulling the mattress out from under the headboard. What a difference that made! So, we thought it would be great if we had a "mini mattress" we could slip into the empty space.

So far so good!

Natasha

P.S. Congrats on your new coach. It's gorgeous. We bought ours from the same dealer!

Ceratto's Grotto 12-06-2008 04:14 PM

We did a very similar thing with a mattress pad, It is one of those temprapudic (sp?) style of covers so it is much more comfortable for us.