iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Class B CDL Help (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/class-b-cdl-help-504042.html)

dennis marr 08-26-2020 06:51 AM

Help with class b test questions non cdl

didnít know I needed class b license until lately looking for help on practice questions on non cdl class b for motorhome texas thanks in advance.

MSHappyCampers 08-27-2020 11:53 AM

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! :dance:

That sounds like a mistake! I can't imagine a state requiring a CDL for a Class B! I would contact the state DMV.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

HDGoose 08-27-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis marr (Post 5413334)

didnít know I needed class b license until lately looking for help on practice questions on non cdl class b for motorhome texas thanks in advance.

What RV? What weight? What state?

twinboat 08-27-2020 12:27 PM

Profile shows a 40 ft Monaco, in Texas.

Gary RVRoamer 08-27-2020 01:06 PM

How about these websites?

https://driving-tests.org/texas/tx-cdl-practice-test/

https://driving-tests.org/texas/tx-c...nowledge-test/

https://cdltest.co/cdl/texas_cdl_test.php

As I understand it, the non-CDL written test is the same as the CDL, but I don't have any official source for that.

Lt Dan 08-27-2020 01:53 PM

Here are a couple of Texas links that can help:

https://driving-tests.org/texas/tx-cdl-handbook/

FREE 2020 CDL Practice Test | Commercial Drivers License Test

The test is basically a CDL test with questions primarily from Chapter 14 of the Texas Handbook. In addition, you need to know your equipment and how to conduct an air brake test. See Section 5 Page 6 of the handbook and search YouTube for Air Brake Test.

wolfe10 08-27-2020 02:11 PM

Yes, in Texas, a Class B exempt is required for any vehicle over 26,000 pounds.

Monaco 40'-- absolutely!

Written test (study the CDL handbook) and then driving test. At least when I took mine, had to parallel park. Plenty of room, but not a normal RV maneuver. Practiced in an empty parking lot with cardboard boxes for spacing.

WorldCat25 08-27-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 5415115)

That sounds like a mistake! I can't imagine a state requiring a CDL for a Class B! I would contact the state DMV.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Joe, he actually did reference a non CDL. Punctuation confuses his point.

theroc 08-27-2020 07:55 PM

As others have pointed out, it depends on what state you are being licensed and the type of Class A RV you own. As said, if your motorhome has a weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, some states will require their residents to obtain a non-commercial license. You are required to be licensed correctly in the state you consider you residence and that will allow you to legally drive in all states.

So, we are assuming you are a Texas resident and where you possess your drivers license?

And we are also assuming that your RV is a 40' Monaco diesel pusher?

If so, yes, you will be required to obtain a Class B non-commercial drivers license.

Those in Texas can explain further what exactly is done in Texas but in some states that have the non-commercial license requirement, the tests are identical for both non-commercial and CDL applicants.

Some states, like Nevada for instance, have a separate study guide for non-commercial applicants that pertain specifically to RVs. I'm not sure if they have that in Texas but from what I gather, they don't.

So, I agree that you should study the Texas CDL study guide and weed out some of the material for semis, school buses, etc. and get the basic stuff that's inherent for all heavy vehicles. Again, those in Texas can give you more advice.

Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook

txcpl 08-28-2020 05:24 AM

To get your Class B non CDL license in Texas, you will need to get the drivers handbook and study particularly chapter 14. Remember that this test is for ALL class B drivers, and not particularly for RV's, So some of the questions may not relate to an RV.

Become familiar with the rest of the handbook and be sure to check out the links listed in previous replies.

You are not required to do the air brake test, but it is helpful to be familiar with it.

After you complete your written exam, you will need to go online and sign up for the driving portion of the test. There is a long line for the driving portion in areas of denser population. We chose to take our test at a location away from any large cities, and didn't have any trouble signing up. Also, taking the test without a lot of traffic is more relaxing.

Good luck on your test.

dennis marr 08-29-2020 03:34 PM

Do you know how to find practice questions for knowledge test for non cdl class in texas

Lt Dan 08-29-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis marr (Post 5418283)
Do you know how to find practice questions for knowledge test for non cdl class in texas

The test questions will be the same as for a CDL. There is no separate test for a Non CDL like there should be. All questions are truck, trailer, farm tractor, towing vehicles, etc related. Absolutely nothing to do with RVs.

Someone said you don't have to do an air brake test but be familiar with the procedure. I had to do one with my test as it all depends on the examiner. Also, straight backing and parallel parking is up to the examiner so practice those as well. When I had to parallel park it was on a block long street. All I Had to do is back so I was parallel to the curb, no more than 18" away. The trick is to turn your right mirror down so you can see your rear wheel.

barmcd 09-05-2020 07:25 PM

I have a Texas class B license and I'd say none of the questions were specific to an RV on the test I took, but it looked like all of them came from chapter 14 in the Texas CDL handbook. Things about marker lights, lengths, fire extinguishers, railroad crossings, even towing a pole trailer. Take the test at your local DPS DL office and once you pass, they ask you where you want to take the driving test and give you the phone # for that location. The driving test was pretty basic. The examiner did a safety inspection on the coach, including the air brakes (I didn't need to know how to do it), and then we did a backing test and drove around the neighborhood for about 10-15 minutes. We did surface streets and some freeway. Make exaggerated head movements when you look right and left. It was really a piece of cake.

dennis marr 09-06-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis marr (Post 5413334)

. Past test thanks for help now legal