iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   RV wonít turn off - ignition switch issue (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/rv-won-t-turn-off-ignition-switch-issue-505035.html)

RockwoodNRol 09-02-2020 11:25 PM

RV wonít turn off - ignition switch issue

Howdy. Iím still on my maiden voyage in my first RV. Sheís a 30í Rockwood Pusher (Spartan Chasis)

Iíve been plugged into shore power for a few months working on a farm, Iím gearing up to get back on the road next week when, all of a sudden I start experiencing weird electrical issues.

Out of the blue, it sounds like the key has been turned to aux position. The dash lights are on and it sounds like the power converter under the hood is working. I finally got the sound to stop by unplugging from shore power and disconnecting the starter battery.

The starter battery wouldnít hold a charge so I replaced that today. Engine started right up, but when I turned off the key, nothing happened! The engine just kept roaring.

I jiggled the back side of the ignition switch and was finally able to get the engine to turn off, but the dash lights and power converter are still on. I canít get them to turn off. I had to disconnect the battery and flip off the power switch in the stair well to get it to stop.

Iíd appreciate any help in troubleshooting.

R.Wold 09-03-2020 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockwoodNRol (Post 5424652)
Howdy. Iím still on my maiden voyage in my first RV. Sheís a 30í Rockwood Pusher (Spartan Chasis)

Iíve been plugged into shore power for a few months working on a farm, Iím gearing up to get back on the road next week when, all of a sudden I start experiencing weird electrical issues.

Out of the blue, it sounds like the key has been turned to aux position. The dash lights are on and it sounds like the power converter under the hood is working. I finally got the sound to stop by unplugging from shore power and disconnecting the starter battery.

The starter battery wouldnít hold a charge so I replaced that today. Engine started right up, but when I turned off the key, nothing happened! The engine just kept roaring.

I jiggled the back side of the ignition switch and was finally able to get the engine to turn off, but the dash lights and power converter are still on. I canít get them to turn off. I had to disconnect the battery and flip off the power switch in the stair well to get it to stop.

Iíd appreciate any help in troubleshooting.

I think you bought a haunted RV. Sounds a little strange, but it happens. Best bet is to make peace with the spirits...:whistling:

StevefromPA 09-03-2020 04:21 AM

If you had to jiggle key I would start wit ignition switch...

Khi1500 09-03-2020 04:50 AM

Is it possible your ground is hot,, so when switch goes to ground to kill ,, it sees voltage?

hewebb 09-03-2020 05:32 AM

There should be an electrical solenoid switch in the fuel line that should normally be closed when power is off and open when key is on. It may have stuck open from when you applied the initial power to it. Inactivity for a long period of time could cause some fuel contamination or moisture. Intermingling powering it may jar it loose on occasion. If not that - ?

clifford j 09-03-2020 05:48 AM

OP said he giggled the back of the ignition switch and the engine stopped but dash lights stayed on, I doubt the fuel relay kept the dash lights on. As mentioned sounds like the culprit might be a defective ignition switch, good place to start looking. Pulling the connector off the switch when the problem is present would be a sure way to test.

CLIFFORD

twinboat 09-03-2020 06:46 AM

Check for a messed up trailer connector.

rwhite1223 09-03-2020 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5424813)
Check for a messed up trailer connector.

Huh?

mlorlomoski 09-03-2020 07:13 AM

+2 on the ignition switch!

uchu 09-03-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clifford j (Post 5424761)
OP said he giggled the back of the ignition switch and the engine stopped but dash lights stayed on, I doubt the fuel relay kept the dash lights on. As mentioned sounds like the culprit might be a defective ignition switch, good place to start looking. Pulling the connector off the switch when the problem is present would be a sure way to test.

CLIFFORD

+3 on that. I had this issue many years ago with my first car (72' VW Beetle). I had to jiggle the key to turn the engine off, but dash lights would still be on (stuck in ACC). After some troubleshooting I ended up replacing the whole cylinder. Problem solved.

VanDiemen23 09-03-2020 07:44 AM

It is possible on a DP to back-power the electrical system with the breakaway battery on a trailer. My coach didn't come with a tow harness or a schematic, so I wired one up, including the charge wire.

First time I hooked up the trailer I couldn't shut the coach off.

Had to add a diode....

twinboat 09-03-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwhite1223 (Post 5424821)
Huh?

See post #11

rwhite1223 09-04-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5424906)
See post #11

That makes sense. I just didn't see any mention of a trailer.

twinboat 09-04-2020 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwhite1223 (Post 5426135)
That makes sense. I just didn't see any mention of a trailer.

You don't need the trailer, just a shorting connector.