iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Charging house batteries (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/charging-house-batteries-505611.html)

Irie 09-07-2020 06:42 AM

Charging house batteries
 
Good morning. It appears our house bank doesn’t get charged by the engine when underway. The cranking batteries charge by both the engine and inverter, the house batteries only charge by the charger/inverter. Is this typical or am I missing something?

Old Scout 09-07-2020 07:36 AM

No--its not normal for Alpines....see you have a 2005 [yr sig block isn't working]--that means you have Vansco Comm modules and a solenoid - based charging system for your battery banks....lots of info on this forum, so try a search using f104/battery charging in the Google box above....

RVPioneer 09-07-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irie (Post 5430079)
Good morning. It appears our house bank doesn’t get charged by the engine when underway. The cranking batteries charge by both the engine and inverter, the house batteries only charge by the charger/inverter. Is this typical or am I missing something?

How did you determine that the house batteries are not being charged by the alternator?

Jeep401 09-07-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Scout (Post 5430151)
No--its not normal for Alpines....see you have a 2005 [yr sig block isn't working]--that means you have Vansco Comm modules and a solenoid - based charging system for your battery banks....lots of info on this forum, so try a search using f104/battery charging in the Google box above....

The powers that be should add a sticky for the f104/ (*****) in the search box. You should need to repeat this five time a day every few weeks, but that information is nowhere to be found elsewhere that I know of.

Spk64 09-07-2020 11:19 AM

Like this?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...tml#post477721

Jeep401 09-07-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spk64 (Post 5430537)

Yes it would appear so. But one at the top of the Alpine page. I, as well as many other I'm sure, have no idea where to find that link.
Many of us only use the Alpine specific page.
I also don't see anything about (f104) in the link you provided.
I don't want to clog up this post, feel free to PM me if you would like.

RVPioneer 09-07-2020 12:56 PM

Why not post a link to a helpful thread if it is so easy to find the correct answer?

I just did the f104 maneuver using “battery charging” and even added “2005” to narrow it down. Dozens of pages popped up. Probably mostly irrelevant and unhelpful to the situation. Then I used the advanced search feature on this site, entered “battery charging” “search titles only” and “search Alpine forum only”. There’s 202 threads to read.

“Look it up” isn’t necessarily the most helpful answer. And if everything has already been answered and stored in the archives, then there’s really no reason to have a forum that’s open to discussion.

When asking a question, more information will assist others in providing useful answers. Model year, some background on the issue, any measures that may have been taken in an attempt to resolve the issue, etc.

It’s a collaborative effort to diagnose and resolve a problem.

Old Scout 09-07-2020 03:46 PM

Doing a little bit of "homework" never hurt anybody--especially for our newest owners....also makes you a so much better student....agree, the f104 "limiter" is not well known....but if you notice in your inquiry and posting stings, f104 is dedicated to our Alpine forum...kind of like following the GPS roadmap "home"...

paul65k 09-07-2020 07:05 PM

BTW.....does anyone have any info that will help the OP:angel:

Jeep401 09-07-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul65k (Post 5431229)
BTW.....does anyone have any info that will help the OP:angel:

Alpine asked a follow up question that hasn't been answered yet, so without some more information it's hard to move forward.
Sorry to the original op for getting their question sidetracked.

paul65k 09-07-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep401 (Post 5431271)
Alpine asked a follow up question that hasn't been answered yet, so without some more information it's hard to move forward.
Sorry to the original op for getting their question sidetracked.

Sorry....wasn't trying to be "That Guy"......Cheers!

RVPioneer 09-07-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Scout (Post 5430907)
Doing a little bit of "homework" never hurt anybody--especially for our newest owners....also makes you a so much better student....agree, the f104 "limiter" is not well known....but if you notice in your inquiry and posting stings, f104 is dedicated to our Alpine forum...kind of like following the GPS roadmap "home"...

Sure, homework is good. Why assume the OP did none or is unfamiliar with the search functions?

I’m aware that the f104 google search yields results from the Alpine forum on iRV2. If that is the only place it is searching for information, that is the only place from which we will be provided information. The advanced search function on the website has the same capability. How is it not, two different ways to get the same results?

The advanced search function has additional filters such as, posts within a certain time period, threads with a certain number of responses, threads where a particular member has made posts and the option of searching other forums on the site simultaneously.

While we wait for the OP to provide additional insight into the situation, can you explain how the google search function might be more advantageous in finding the desired information than the advanced search function?

Irie 09-08-2020 06:33 AM

I’m sorry but I’m with my brother in ICU right now, so I’m not online as much.

Yes, I’m aware of the f104 search, but as others noted, it’s still difficult to find the answer. I was hoping for some quick insight.

I’m not sure what additional information you need from me. The house bank is not charging off the alternator, two days on the road, not plugged in, batteries were way down.

Lastly, not sure what happened to my tag.
2005 Alpine 40 FDTS

Thanks

Irie 09-08-2020 07:03 AM

The cranking batteries charge fine.
We’re very familiar with 12 volt systems, having lived on boats for 15 yrs, but not the least bit familiar with a Vansco. I assumed the bank was supposed to charge, but thought I’d ask for some insight, maybe a quick point in the right direction, before hubby resorted to wiring it like a boat, with a selector switch.

I’ll try researching the forum again, but so far haven’t gotten an answer.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.