iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   9 Pin Diagnostic Connector (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/9-pin-diagnostic-connector-506576.html)

Mongobird 09-14-2020 09:42 AM

9 Pin Diagnostic Connector

On and Itasca Meridian 34h, from 2004, which I understand is on a Freightliner 2002 chassis, there is a 9-pin diagnostic port back by the engine. It appears that only six pins of that nine pin port are used but that's not terribly relevant to my question.

I have tried to find a similar port dear the driver location, and I have been unsuccessful. It seems possible that I don't have a connector like that near the driver's position.

Is anyone familiar with the cabling for that, and is there a retrofit which would allow me to install a 9-pin connector near the driver's seat?

I may be interested in extending the diagnostic line to the front, and would probably use plenum rated ethernet cable, but before doing so I thought I would ask around first.

Thanks for any information or ideas.

NMBluept 09-14-2020 10:27 AM

On my 2002 Itasca Horizon 32 TD, the diagnostic port was to the left of the steering wheel and kinda buried in the wiring mess there. Look some more, it is there.

Lt Dan 09-14-2020 11:06 AM

It also may be covered with a screw off cap, probably black.

cataska 09-14-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMBluept (Post 5440091)
On my 2002 Itasca Horizon 32 TD, the diagnostic port was to the left of the steering wheel and kinda buried in the wiring mess there. Look some more, it is there.

2005 meridian same area left of steering wheel down under.

Mongobird 09-15-2020 12:26 AM

Ok, thanks for the encouragement. I will look again more thoroughly.

ChuckandMary 09-15-2020 05:11 AM

Mongobird, I have yet to find the reader instrument that works when connected to the 9 pin port - please share the device information for the one you are using. It would be great to see the engine codes and perhaps reset a check engine light like in my car?
Thansk

Mongobird 09-16-2020 12:06 AM

I am not using any device as I cannot find the port.

I have a bit of immobility in my neck, but I was down on my hands and knees and rummaging through the cables trying to find a connector behind them and could not find anything. If a couple of people could give me exact location descriptions of their connector, it would be appreciated. It would be especially helpful if someone had something similar to a 2004 Meridian, which I have, or perhaps a Journey.

As for the device, I don't have one yet, and am holding off buying one until I find the driver side port, but I intend to use a Scan Gauge D.

I have extensive experience with the brother device, Scan Gauge II, which works with ODBII interfaces. I have several of these, all installed on diesel automobiles, and use them constantly for diagnostics and operations.

Mongobird 09-16-2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataska (Post 5440830)
2005 meridian same area left of steering wheel down under.

I am still not finding it. Can anyone provide a better description, or photo of where the connector is? I spent a fair amount of time on my hands and knees digging. I have a bit of a neck mobility issue, but normally I can find things under a dash. I just can't in this case. If I could narrow the area I search down that might help.

JaminSamin 09-16-2020 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongobird (Post 5442329)
I am still not finding it. Can anyone provide a better description, or photo of where the connector is? I spent a fair amount of time on my hands and knees digging. I have a bit of a neck mobility issue, but normally I can find things under a dash. I just can't in this case. If I could narrow the area I search down that might help.

Here is picture showing the location of the connector on my Horizon. From right to left you see the left edge of the brake pedal, the steering column, the silver box is the HWH control board attached to the fire wall, then the connector itself. It’s a confused tangle of wires, be gentle in your search...it’s there. Hope this helps.

tommar 09-16-2020 03:35 PM

Dutch Star Owner Chiming In!

I'm chiming in here! I have a 1998 DS with an 8.3 Cummins, mechanical fuel injectors. I want to plug my Scanguage D device into the diagnostics port. I've called Scanguage and they say it does NOT matter that I do not have electronic fuel injection. There SHOULD still be a diagnostics port. Trouble is, I can't find it! Is anyone out there with a similar engine and can anyone help me with finding the port? Thanks!:D

Wild Card 09-17-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommar (Post 5443105)
I'm chiming in here! I have a 1998 DS with an 8.3 Cummins, mechanical fuel injectors. I want to plug my Scanguage D device into the diagnostics port. I've called Scanguage and they say it does NOT matter that I do not have electronic fuel injection. There SHOULD still be a diagnostics port. Trouble is, I can't find it! Is anyone out there with a similar engine and can anyone help me with finding the port? Thanks!:D

Thats an all mechanical engine. No electronics.

harleyjt 09-17-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Card (Post 5445064)

Correct. There’s nothing to hook up to at all.
jt

tommar 09-18-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Card (Post 5445064)

Well, according to Scanguage, all diesels since 1994 have a diagnostics plug. I also called Scanguage and they assured me that despite my engine being mechanical fuel injection, there's still a computer and all the guages are electronic. Indeed, when I turn the key, the speedo (or is it the tach, I forget) needle travels around the clock and then back again. Thus, Scanguage said, there is a diagnostics plug. If there isn't, guess I will sell the Scanguage on eBay.

FIRE UP 09-24-2020 09:20 PM

Well Mongobird,
This is the 24th of Sept, have you found that diagnostic port yet? If not, JaminSamin provided a great photo of what you're looking for. You could, in fact, be looking right at it but, don't recognize it. I certainly understand your debilitating issue, been there, done that. Maybe grab a nephew, son, kid in the neighborhood and pay him (or her) a couple bucks and show them the rear cap cover of the diagnostic port and, then, tell them to get their little bodies down buy the left side of that steering column and very carefully, dig around all that wiring freeway system and, see if they see the same type cap. Just a suggestion.
Scott