iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Picking up New Canyon Star soon (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/picking-up-new-canyon-star-soon-506678.html)

GWHauler 09-14-2020 08:41 PM

Picking up New Canyon Star soon

We have a new 2021 Canyon Star 3927 ordered and should be here soon. We've been waiting for a while. We ordered in April. There have been many back ordered parts. We've been told, any day now.

My question is about an extended warranty. Do you suggest getting one and if so, how much can these run? Is this purchased from the dealer or elsewhere?

I've been reading about lots of problems on some RV's and wasn't sure if this would be something to consider. I'm pretty handy when it come to fixing things around the house.

This is our first RV and I know there's a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Elwood58 09-14-2020 08:50 PM

I have a Fleetwood Bounder, and would have saved a bunch of money by handling things myself. You will wind up fixing lots of things because you do not want to wait for an appointment anyway.

Roy-c 09-15-2020 03:08 PM

Read all the posts about warranty repairs. You need to be handy and fix most issues yourself if you want to use your RV instead of having it sit at the dealers waiting. See what the wait time is for a warranty repair at your Dealers and then make a decision. I bet they don't want to let you speak to other owners that are having warranty work done.

GWHauler 09-15-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy-c (Post 5441805)
Read all the posts about warranty repairs. You need to be handy and fix most issues yourself if you want to use your RV instead of having it sit at the dealers waiting. See what the wait time is for a warranty repair at your Dealers and then make a decision. I bet they don't want to let you speak to other owners that are having warranty work done.

Thanks for the advise. I didn't know what to expect from dealer. I will try everything I can think of on the night we spend at dealer.

I like the idea of this being a diesel, but a little concerned about it being the first year.

capnqball 09-15-2020 11:33 PM

Numerous owners will advise to pass on the extended service contracts and simply put the same amount of money into a savings account to pay for any repairs encountered. Not a bad strategy, one I use myself. On the flip side, get a quote (or several) from different outlets before you take delivery of the new coach. Wholesale Warranties is one popular company but I thought they were outrageous on my quote a year ago. The dealer will certainly try to sell you a policy, but it's negotiable just like most other items on the contract. Having a figure or two before you go into the financing office will give you an idea if you're getting a decent price. Keep in mind that you have a full year in which to think about it as you're covered by the manufacturers warranty. Just my $.02 and good luck with your new coach.

"007" 09-16-2020 01:45 PM

Welcome to the forum.
The new chassis DP Canyon Star is new to Newmar but I beleive FL has had on market for a while. == Owners Guide === Brochure
As far as everything else in coach its Newmar design as in all their coach's and this sticky will give you a background on any problems.
If your handy you should be able to handle many of the problems that will arise as most of us have over the years with most of our coach's and members here will help you through many of them. Lots of reading of different problems that will about will aid you in finding a solution.
One thing to read is this Newmar PDI to use at dealers when you pick up coach.
Congrats on the Newmar, enjoy and many safe traveling miles when you do.

Earl II 09-16-2020 04:06 PM

Looks like the 2021 Canyon Star is the new front engine diesel.

GWHauler 09-17-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl II (Post 5443142)
Looks like the 2021 Canyon Star is the new front engine diesel.

Yes. I'm excited to have a diesel in a toy hauler.:dance:

hohenwald48 09-19-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWHauler (Post 5444973)
Yes. I'm excited to have a diesel in a toy hauler.:dance:

Did you pick up any cargo capacity over the previous gas versions?

GWHauler 09-23-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohenwald48 (Post 5446800)
Did you pick up any cargo capacity over the previous gas versions?

Yes the FL will add 3" in height on cargo. I guess every little bit will help.

JeffAZ 09-23-2020 04:54 PM

HaHa, I think hohenweld was asking about cargo "WEIGHT" capacity.

Congrats, this diesel chassis looks like a good move by Newmar, especially for the toyhauler floorplan. Now if they could just make a flat rear cargo door for use as a deck :D

GWHauler 09-23-2020 07:27 PM

The cargo weight is 3,900. I'm not sure what is was on the gas models.
  • Length 39 ft 11 in
  • Dry Weight 26100 lbs
  • GVWR 30000
  • Interior Color Linx
  • Cargo Weight (CCC) 3900

GWHauler 09-23-2020 08:23 PM

Newmar website shows 4477 for net carrying capacity.

JeffAZ 09-23-2020 10:49 PM

Nice. Does it list maximum weight limits for the ramp and for the garage floor?