iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   New Roof Wrinkles (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/new-roof-wrinkles-506779.html)

Lt58DMTP 09-15-2020 06:23 PM

New Roof Wrinkles

Hmmmmm. . . well, long story short, I got rear ended while I was sitting in a parking lot & ended up with the insurance company replacing my roof. At the time, I was thinking the roof is 4yrs old so it seemed like a good idea. Until the new one got installed. It's got wrinkles.

My question is the dealer is taking back to "re-stretch" the roof. Anyone have any experience, thoughts or suggestions? I'm pretty much as unhappy as I can be & have no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance.

jdpm 09-15-2020 08:12 PM

Restretch? How's that since its glued down? I'm leary of that proposal.

tuffr2 09-15-2020 09:19 PM

Roofs used to be glued on but now I am not sure it they are glued or stretched. I just looked at a new TPO roof on a Cougar and it was tight.

What roofing material did they use? EPDM, TPO or PVC?

kdauto 09-16-2020 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt58DMTP (Post 5442039)
Hmmmmm. . . well, long story short, I got rear ended while I was sitting in a parking lot & ended up with the insurance company replacing my roof. At the time, I was thinking the roof is 4yrs old so it seemed like a good idea. Until the new one got installed. It's got wrinkles.

My question is the dealer is taking back to "re-stretch" the roof. Anyone have any experience, thoughts or suggestions? I'm pretty much as unhappy as I can be & have no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance.

If it has wrinkles the job was poorly executed. It could be lack of glue, incorrect glue, contaminated plywood (dirt,oil etc.) or even defective material. We don't know what material the roof is, TPO or rubber roof, but it should be ripped off and redone. I would NOT accept anyone proposing to apply sealer or solid roofing on top of the wrinkles or bubbles.

In my province you'd have legal recourse in small claims and likely win.

Myrons31 09-16-2020 05:33 AM

Having replaced a rubber roof. First time trying and by myself, and ironically it rained two inches in the evening after I installed just the roof material that morning and was unable to get the ends and sides tightened down. The rain was NOT on the weather forecast, lol. So be nice. Obviously, I glued it down as that was the way the original roof was attached. If there are wrinkles. Like mine had in a couple spots. Than it was installed wrong. One was a small splinter of wood.

I would not go for less than full material replacement. It is already cut for a poor installation and really can't be stretched for a proper installation in my opinion and experience. Oh. And ask them to install it right this time.....

09 harley 09-23-2020 02:39 PM

Poor installation. Not a qualified installer. Poor quality control and no inspection before returning to customer. About normal. Unfortunately.

Lt58DMTP 09-24-2020 06:25 PM

EPDM sir.

Lt58DMTP 09-24-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdauto (Post 5442375)
If it has wrinkles the job was poorly executed. It could be lack of glue, incorrect glue, contaminated plywood (dirt,oil etc.) or even defective material. We don't know what material the roof is, TPO or rubber roof, but it should be ripped off and redone. I would NOT accept anyone proposing to apply sealer or solid roofing on top of the wrinkles or bubbles.

In my province you'd have legal recourse in small claims and likely win.

Well, the insurance company actually had them use all new 1/8" luan to ensure adhesion.

I go back in 12OCT I guess we'll see. My expectations are pretty low. I suspect I'll end up applying some type of RV Roof Armor etc. . .

jdpm 09-27-2020 08:50 PM

If insurance is paying for it you should have had the RV Flex Armor sprayed roof. Never a roof worry again and no caulking. I love it! Good luck.