iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Damon (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   House Battery Issue? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/house-battery-issue-507438.html)

Apollo11 09-20-2020 04:43 PM

House Battery Issue?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Since I got my rv back from the mechanic Ive been having house battery issues. When I dropped it off I had the batteries switched off so somewhere along the line they were turned on and drained. Well now im recharging them and I noticed something yesterday while cleaning the terminals- the metal bracket/ handles that are holding the house batteries down are corroding, to the point of rotting away. Does that mean I have positive to ground somewhere or will just grounding to the frame do that on its own without positive juice? Pictures included.

twinboat 09-20-2020 05:39 PM

No, thats from the acid fumes, created by charging the batteries, settling on the steel.

It corrodes them over time if you don't rinse them off often. It didn't happen fast.

Next battery change you may need to replace them. Look for plastic type.

Apollo11 09-20-2020 05:46 PM

That new battery change may happen soon, I think my batteries are bad after sitting at the mechanics for a couple months... apparently they drained and sat dead for some time. Thanks for the reply.

AnotherMike 09-20-2020 09:07 PM

One trick... a mechanics trick from the 1930s... my dad learned it from a motor pool mechanic in WW2.

Smear petroleum jelly on the metal that you don't want acid fumes to rot away.
It also prevents the creeping green glop on the battery posts and battery cable connectors.

Yes, it's messy, but it is cheap and it works.

Mike

HarryStone 09-21-2020 12:09 AM

Rustoleum paint

Apollo11 09-23-2020 05:14 PM

Topped off my battery cells, cleaned the terminals and the problem went away (the bad battery problem, not the decaying metal handle problem, I'll fix that with petroleum jelly or paint) . I like cheap fixes.

Apollo11 09-24-2020 01:50 PM

I have a question for you experienced people... when running the generator and air conditioning, maybe a light or two but that's it, is it normal for the blade fuses in the "house" fuse box to get warm? I'm talking in the mid 90 degree area. Ive always been told that warm wires mean loose wires but it seems like some warming might be normal?

twinboat 09-24-2020 02:10 PM

It could be heat radiating from the circuit breakers, but with a few lights on, heat on the 12 volt fuses seems odd.

Apollo11 09-25-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5453733)
It could be heat radiating from the circuit breakers, but with a few lights on, heat on the 12 volt fuses seems odd.

A few lights and the air conditioner (if that makes a difference).

It seems like a general warming of ther board instead of individual fuses I think. Kinda hard to tell exactly.

HarryStone 09-27-2020 05:16 PM

Get a handheld temp sensor. You can find out exactly where the heat is coming from.

Apollo11 10-19-2020 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollo11 (Post 5453721)
I have a question for you experienced people... when running the generator and air conditioning, maybe a light or two but that's it, is it normal for the blade fuses in the "house" fuse box to get warm? I'm talking in the mid 90 degree area. Ive always been told that warm wires mean loose wires but it seems like some warming might be normal?

I need to update this, the air conditioner doesn't play any roll in this, idk what I was thinking.

But just by turning on 3 or 4 overhead lights inside, after a little while I hear the fuse box fan kick on, so i checked again and the blade fuses are really hot... hot enough to make me instinctually pull my hand back. But none have blown.

Does anyone know off hand if theirs does this, iow, normal, or is this abnormal?

I'll do another temp reading tomorrow and see exactly how hot they're actually getting.

HarryStone 10-19-2020 10:59 PM

How easy or hard are the fuses to remove? It could be there is a bit of corrosion on the blade, or the spring grip has weakened a bit, allowing a bit of resistance, which causes heat.

twinboat 10-19-2020 11:44 PM

The converter/charger is built into the bottom of the fuse/breaker box.

The harder that works, the more heat it makes. As it gets hot, the cooling fan runs to cool it.

If its running real hot, you may have a battery problem.
How long do your lights run without shore power ? If they do out in a few hours, the battery is bad.

Another test, is to see if things cool down, when you switch the battery disconnect switch off, while on shore power. That takes the battery out of the circuit but leaves the converter/charger powering the lights. If it runs cool like that, its another sign of a bad battery.

Apollo11 10-20-2020 08:59 AM

I'll see how hard they are to remove today.

I took both batteries to auto zone and had them test them. Their tester said they're both good batteries. Idk how reliable those are, could the guy have tested it wrong, therefore ending up with a false reading?

Unfortunately I can't disconnect battery on shore power unless i physically disconnect. The switch turns on automatically when plugged in.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.