Found a leak
Need your help. I have a 2018 Blackstone 270 and found a leak in the bedroom slide right below the window. Discovered a little wetness inside the trailer by our pillows against the wall. I caulked the window and everything now is dry- so I thought A week later while washing the trailer I found a bubble on the outside in the skin of the trailer about 2 inches round. It doesnít feel like delam because itís hard when you push on it. I feel like it couldnít be re glued because of it feels like maybe something expanded under the siding. What do you think happened. How can this be fixed?
A marine repair shop will be able to grind / sand down the 'bubble' and then build back up / sand / prime / repaint with gelcoat. An RV dealer is also able to as well, but time may be a factor. A lot of marine shops are light on work depending on location.
Root cause is that your window has a gap in seal on exterior. You can patch it temporarily by pushing white/black/clear/ sealant but the long term fix is to pull the window. Scrape all the putty / foam mess off. Replace with new sealant, then reinstall the window. Trim sealant that is squeezed out accordingly.
If you have the time / space, I would suggest pulling the window, leave it out, and put a heater under that portion of the slide. Wall will warm up, driving moisture out. After a few days, reinstall window. You might even consider removing / reinstalling windows in the other slides as well while you have all supplies and tools out.
Professional tip: Use a suction grip (harbor freight) to pull window while you are screwing down the clamp / interior ring. just don't pull too hard. let the screws exert the force, the suction grip is just there to keep it from falling out.
KRBJMPR is correct.
The window needs to be removed and new putty sealant put on the frame and then sealed around the outside edges of the frame after re-seating the window. Make sure the weep holes are clear as well.
I did this with one window on our GP the second year of ownership. Caught it sooner before damage and mold. Problem is the foam and luan don't like water much. The luan disintegrates, and the foam holds the moisture. I cut part of the panel out and put a fan on it for about a week.
Taking EGWilly a few steps further...
I would avoid cutting the wall panel unless as last resort.
1) Remove Window
2) Remove slide out fascia on interior on affected wall
3) Remove, carefully, any trim strips on this wall incl corners & ceiling
4) Remove everything else, lights & switches & etc
5) Use a NEW 4in and 2in putty knife to slowly remove wall panel.
The object here is avoid gouging Styrofoam or ripping wall panel.
6) Stop before you get to corners, you may not have to this far
7) Gentle Heat for several hours to dry foam and wall panel
8) Lysol or other mold & mildew-code sprayed inside
9) wait for mold / mildew to dry per directions
10) Use a Styrofoam safe spray adhesive on foam and wall panel.
Follow adhesive directions
11) Replace wall panel, fixtures, trim, etc.
12) Get Spousal Approval (Important)
13) Replace Fascia
14) Service Window
15) Ask spouse for beer and final approval when brought.
A) Remove wall panel completely
B) Remove foam under Window as needed. Won't be Reused.
C) Treat as normal for mold / mildew.
D) Replace foam with Styrofoam from Home Depot. Multiple layers ok.
E) Glue foam in using foam safe adhesive - Don't Do Wall Panel Yet.
F) Use several telescoping shower rods wedged against other wall
protected by 2x4.
G) Wedge other end of shower rod against appropriate sized cut plywood
placed against wall panel placed against replaced foam.
You just want to compress foam as adhesive cures.
H) After adhesive cures, see directions, glue down wall panel
and repeat shower rod treatment.
I) Continue with #11 above.
I have used above process both in personal, on-site (harder), and in
dealership capacities. It works. It is absolutely critical to get a spray adhesive that is safe for Styrofoam. Most will melt.
If you have to repair the wall outside, you can use a decal that matches the rest to cover the repair and avoid painting.
And that is why I think there are so many "Visited Maps" seen on coaches.
My brother blew a hole in side of my Sportsman trailer with his black powder shotgun. Screwdriver slipped pulling cap off nipple. I covered it up with a large "bandaid" sticker after I stuffed hole with fiberglass and bent sheet metal back into place.
Lasted 9 years. Was always talk of parks.
How about a nice chrome cut out of a woman like the truckers put on their mud flaps,, LOL.
And use butyl tape to seal window......
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.