iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Question about Stabil (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/question-about-stabil-513366.html)

Unicorn Driver 11-02-2020 04:59 AM

Question about Stabil

Hi,

Today I got to drop of my MH for winter storage. The storage is 1/2 a mile from the only gas station that's accessible to me in the area for me to top up.my tank and add stabil. I could add the stabil at home and drive the 4 miles to the gas station (tank is half full).

How long do I need to drive for to get the stabil in to engine? Also how long will I need to run the generator for?

Coach is gas.

Thanks,

Winemaker2 11-02-2020 05:28 AM

I would add it at home and drive the 4 miles with the gen running. A few stop & goes will help mix it up some even before adding more fuel.
1/2 mi doesn't take very long and you want the treated fuel throughout the system not just in the tank.

JMonroe 11-02-2020 05:50 AM

X's 2

Unicorn Driver 11-02-2020 06:05 AM

Thanks both, I appreciate the quick replies.

I will add the Stabil at home and run the generator.

lonfu 11-02-2020 06:30 AM

Don't use it, it will foul you fuel injectors or carburator.

Unicorn Driver 11-02-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonfu (Post 5505198)

Please explain.

charliez 11-02-2020 06:42 AM

It's never hurt anything I've used it in and I've used it for a long time.

Unicorn Driver 11-02-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliez (Post 5505209)
It's never hurt anything I've used it in and I've used it for a long time.

I have used it for 5 years without an issue.

Unicorn Driver 11-02-2020 08:37 AM

Hi all,

That's the coach attired for the winter.

Thanks for the help,

chunker 11-02-2020 09:06 AM

Along with that make sure the Stabil isn't to old. My GF's late husband collected stuff and when he did, he got lots and jumbo sized. There were several bottles of Stabil, several years old. Dark red in color. Well beyond the recommended 2 year shelf life for unopened bottle.

Crasher 11-02-2020 09:20 AM

Depending on what climate a gas vehicle is stored in has an effect on fuel quality. We store a car in WI from Oct to mid May with no stabilizer added to the fuel. Never an issue with the fuel system in 15 years when put back into service. I don't add anything the the riding mower either. Fuel stays more stable in a cold climate. On the other hand, we store our boat in AZ from Mid May to Oct with Star Tron Enzyme added to the fuel. I stopped using Stabil several years ago and switched to Star Tron at the advise of my marine dealer. He claimed that the Enzyme did a better job. @ 110-120 degrees, untreated fuel could turn stale in 6-7 months.

Unicorn Driver 11-02-2020 09:22 AM

I did not check the dates but purchased them last week. Will go check the bottles.

MSHappyCampers 11-02-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver (Post 5505350)
Hi all,

That's the coach attired for the winter.

Thanks for the help,

So whose advice did you take? :D

Goodspike 11-02-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver (Post 5505429)
I did not check the dates but purchased them last week. Will go check the bottles.

It's from date the bottle is opened, so write the date you opened it on the bottle.

Unicorn Driver 11-02-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodspike (Post 5505436)
It's from date the bottle is opened, so write the date you opened it on the bottle.

Sounds good.

Mudfrog 11-02-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodspike (Post 5505322)
Actually it's the inverse--not using it will foul your fuel injectors or carb. But thanks for proving you can find anything on the Internet! :rolleyes:

And of course you're posting yet another internet point of view that isn't necessarily accurate.

My opinion, based on 40 plus years of driving and storing gasoline engine powered machines, is that additives aren't needed. I've never had any problems storing vehicles (various Mhs, boats, lawn equipment) for months. We are near the refineries so maybe our gasoline is better.. :laugh:

A bit late answering UD's question. If his rig happens to get around 8 mpg, half a gallon of fuel would be used during the 4 mile drive to the storage facility. Since it's hard to get that stuff mixed in the tank well, I'd think he might want to drive a bit further to be sure.

chunker 11-02-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodspike (Post 5505436)

5 years if unopened and original foil seal is intact.

Roy-c 11-02-2020 10:30 AM

Untreated gasoline nowadays can go stale in 30 days. The smaller the engine ( and therefore the smaller the passages for fuel ) the more susceptible it is to problems from stale fuel ( turning into varnish )

cinitall 11-02-2020 10:32 AM

X2 on the Star Tron based on the advice of our mechanic as well, we've stored our Muscle Car collection with it for years with no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crasher (Post 5505425)
Depending on what climate a gas vehicle is stored in has an effect on fuel quality. We store a car in WI from Oct to mid May with no stabilizer added to the fuel. Never an issue with the fuel system in 15 years when put back into service. I don't add anything the the riding mower either. Fuel stays more stable in a cold climate. On the other hand, we store our boat in AZ from Mid May to Oct with Star Tron Enzyme added to the fuel. I stopped using Stabil several years ago and switched to Star Tron at the advise of my marine dealer. He claimed that the Enzyme did a better job. @ 110-120 degrees, untreated fuel could turn stale in 6-7 months.

David 70 11-02-2020 10:46 AM

Here's another article from the internet so take it for what it's worth. I read that the stabil actually forms a film on top of the fuel to keep it from releasing certain components from the fuel that makes it go bad. ???

Wrapped 11-02-2020 11:55 AM

Stabil works great stabil marine is better blue bottle, and full gas tank. It's the methanol in gas that turns to jelly the messes up the fuel system.

bpu699 11-02-2020 12:05 PM

Im in Wisconsin, you absolutely need stabil, especially in smaller carbed equipment. If I don't use it, starting the equipment in the spring is a bear...

Unplanned Tourist 11-02-2020 12:15 PM

Fuel stabilizer is needed in engines with carburetors because of the evaporation of the fuel in the float bowl. It will leave deposits that plug jets, and stick valves closed in the carb.

Ethanol is very bad because it evaporates much faster than just gasoline. :nonono:

Most newer than mid to late 80's gas vehicles are fuel injected, so no carb to gum up. Therefore they are much less susceptible to gumming from evaporation.

Unicorn Driver 11-02-2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudfrog (Post 5505442)
And of course you're posting yet another internet point of view that isn't necessarily accurate.

My opinion, based on 40 plus years of driving and storing gasoline engine powered machines, is that additives aren't needed. I've never had any problems storing vehicles (various Mhs, boats, lawn equipment) for months. We are near the refineries so maybe our gasoline is better.. [emoji23]

A bit late answering UD's question. If his rig happens to get around 8 mpg, half a gallon of fuel would be used during the 4 mile drive to the storage facility. Since it's hard to get that stuff mixed in the tank well, I'd think he might want to drive a bit further to be sure.

Hi,

I put it in at half full and then topped it :-)

Dave Pelletier 11-02-2020 03:22 PM

a good watch;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chsG...annel=FortNine

Dave

glwinger 11-02-2020 03:47 PM

The video is misleading. It shows OPEN containers exposed to the air.
Evaporation occurs and moisture in the air is picked up. Both bad scenarios.

A full tank with a sealed cap stops this.

I use Seafoam in my motorcycle for winter storage with a full tank of gas.

Put away for the winter, 4-5 months, and never had a problem starting it in the spring.

Goodspike 11-02-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier (Post 5505854)
a good watch;
Dave

Not crazy about the short term testing of products designed for long term use, but yes a good watch.

There are probably at least four different scenarios these products could be used in long term.

1. A sealed gas container.
2. A carbureted engine with a gravity feed from a tank.
3. A carbureted engine with either a fuel shut off or a fuel pump.
4. A fuel injected vehicle.

Each of those has different issues, with the 2nd one probably being the scenario most likely to lead to storage related difficulties because whatever evaporates over time will be replaced and then itself be subject to evaporation.

I'm most curious about the 4th scenario, not having seen or read much about that.

Two final thoughts. First, many portable generators suggest replacing the fuel hoses after only a few years if you use an ethanol fuel. Not good stuff! Second, the best way to avoid the storage problem is to run the engine regularly (or switch to propane or CNG).

Goodspike 11-02-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwinger (Post 5505893)
The video is misleading. It shows OPEN containers exposed to the air.
Evaporation occurs and moisture in the air is picked up. Both bad scenarios.

A full tank with a sealed cap stops this.

That's part of what I was hitting at with my four scenarios. I'm not sure your motorcycle gas cap though helps as much as you think because I doubt it's sealed. I have a small generator that seemingly has a vented and unvented setting, so that might help. What probably helps your situaition though is having the tank full. That means less surface area as well as a smaller area of air to deal with.

Edit: I wonder how the gas fumes in a tank affect moisture exchange. Are they a buffer or a magnet?

Ray,IN 11-02-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Yours is the first negative comment about Stabil I've ever read or heard. Please share your experience with the membership.
I'll PM you JIC you do not return to read further comments.

Dave Pelletier 11-02-2020 04:12 PM

no a motorcycle tank isn't sealed.

I use Stabil and will continue to but the big take-away is that ethanol is bad for long term storage.

Even with stabil and draining my float bowls, I had to dissassemble and clean both my motorcycle carbs this spring due to getting stuck with corn contaminated fuel the fall before.

Dave

akeagle 11-02-2020 04:19 PM

For what its worth, I've used Sta-bil in my lawn mover and snowblower during their off-season storage, and when taken out of storage about 6 - 7 months later they almost always started on the first pull.

I added it to our Minnie Winnie each time (this will be the 3rd year) we put it in winter storage and it worked as advertised. I run the engine and generator once a month to keep them "exercised" and the batteries changed and had no problems starting either one.

The stuff works, regardless of what any nay-sayers may say.

arcaguy 11-02-2020 04:38 PM

It's funny how people determine whether or not something works. A few years ago I stored a Lincoln Town Car in my garage for 22 months without any sort of fuel treatment or ethanol free gas. I don't recall how long it took to start but I do remember that I didn't have to do any work to get it to start. Given that scenario just straight pump gas is as good or better than any treated fuel for long term storage. I also store my motorcycle for 4-6 months over the winter without any fuel treatment and it has started just fine for the last 12 years so long as the battery was charged. My point is just because you don't have any problems starting your engine of whatever type after treating the fuel you likely wouldn't have had any issues anyway as my experiences above show. Do fuel stabilizers work? I have no idea. Are they necessary? From my experience absolutely not. As always YMMV.

Conesus1 11-02-2020 04:42 PM

One lawn tractor, one lawn mower, 2 cycle snow blower, I will never ever use Stabil and ethanol gasoline for anything but a fuel injected automobile.
Everyone one, once I got the carb bowls off there were small black particles that plugged up the jetting. So clean it out, empty the tank and start with fresh gas.
Never had a problem with any boat I owned, but I never ran ethanol fuel in them and also before storage, I'd top the tank off, but before I did I would add a can of Sea Foam for transmissions which Sea Foam more concentrated and never ever had any issues.
So everything now wont see ethanol fuel EVER nor Stayclogged!

CJ7365 11-02-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Wrong

Ray,IN 11-02-2020 06:54 PM

Busting ethanol myths by West Marine.

Mudfrog 11-02-2020 11:47 PM

[Mod Edit]

I simply stated my personal opinion, based on the results I myself have had during the many years of utilizing gasoline engines. You can buy and use the stuff all you want but I'm gonna keep on trucking with what has worked for me all these years. :thumb:

lonfu 11-03-2020 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver (Post 5505199)
Please explain.

you bet. I have 11 different vehicles plus a dozen or so gas powered tools. chain saws, leaf blowers and such. I live in the mohave desert where we have extremely low humidity and high temps. (120 degrees) I installed stabil in my chev 454 moho FI, Cadillac eldorado, boat with quadrajet carb,2 ATV's 300cc and yamaha scooter 1198cc per instructions on the bottle. I planned on storing them for the winter, about 6 months. A friend of mine, a certified BMW mechanic, recommended that I use the product. When I went to restart them I found that the fuel with the stabil in it had dried out and become gummy fouling the idle jets in the carbs and reducing the flow in the fuel injectors and plugging a few. No cleaner would clean them out. The other vehicles that I have that I didn't install the stabil in started and ran as usual. I spent $2500 for parts to replace all the fuel injectors and had to rebuild/boil out the carburetors. It is normal to find some varnish in a carb when they sit but when I opened up the carbs I found that the sludge in all of them was way over what I would consider normal. Also found this to be true of when I used it in my ATV's. Stored one with and one with out. The carb with Stabil had to be replaced because the idle jets were so plugged up. I now store my tools only after draining the fuel tanks and carb bowels. Many of these tools are now 15 plus years old and start perfectly when I add fuel to them. I was able to clean out the carbs on my yamaha vmax with out having to remove them, the boat carb had to be removed and sent back in, luckily the company that rebuilt it for me was willing to "warranty" the rebuild. I installed 16 brand new fuel injectors..... not cheap... I had to remove the contaminated fuel or thin it so that it would not gum up the idle systems and fuel injectors again. These are my personal experiences with Stabil, that is why I don't recommend the use of it to anyone. My friend the BMW mechanic, no longer uses Stabil either. I no longer buy carb engines here in the desert unless I can drain the float bowls completely. Hard to believe that a $12 bottle of Stabil cost me thousands of dollars.... but it is the truth...

tanman32225 11-03-2020 05:10 AM

check out a product I have been using for a few years called Pri G and Pri D. G is gas and D is Diesel. All the reviews show Pri D and Pri G keep fuel longer even years later.

I keep several hundred gallons stored of diesel and have for years. I rotate it out every few years and it works like day one. I add Pri D every 6 months.. yes maybe more often than recommended but it works.

This is something you might want to consider.

glwinger 11-03-2020 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodspike (Post 5505909)
That's part of what I was hitting at with my four scenarios. I'm not sure your motorcycle gas cap though helps as much as you think because I doubt it's sealed. I have a small generator that seemingly has a vented and unvented setting, so that might help. What probably helps your situaition though is having the tank full. That means less surface area as well as a smaller area of air to deal with.

Edit: I wonder how the gas fumes in a tank affect moisture exchange. Are they a buffer or a magnet?

The cap on my bike is the same as one on a car. Turn til it clicks. It's made to only pull air while fuel is being used to prevent a vacuum. The bike is fuel injected and has a lot of the same pollution control as a car.

lonfu 11-03-2020 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ7365 (Post 5506021)
Wrong

Built my first shortwave when I was 8. Rebuilt my first engine when I was 10.... 57 years later, have built most everything except a Cat Diesel. But that is why I bought one :angel: Engines, transmissions, brakes, chassis, alignment, computer diagnosis, carb rebuild and tuning, electrical problems of all kinds, batteries. I weld, plumb, wire, build houses, computer repair and auto AC and residential HVAC. Anything that is has moving parts. Did I mention flooring, chemistry and civil engineering? Point is, I've been around the block a few times.... but, I can't sing a note or play an instrument and other than throw a stitch, am no doctor at all... I've learned to judge machines and people by their actions... Not their specs and words.... The above statement is from my actions and the results that occurred, not from the net or media sales. I don't have any experience with other brands so can't comment on them.

Conesus1 11-03-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodspike (Post 5506565)
[Mod Edit]

Fact is it didn't work for him and it hasnt for many others and then you have the lucky ones where they think of worked[Mod Edit]

Dave Pelletier 11-03-2020 09:01 AM

I won't bore you with the fact I've raced and maintained 41 motocycles, owned dozens of small engines, boats, RV's and about 50 vehicles. All I can tell you IME is this:

- I've used Stabil in a dozen vehicles stored for 6+ months at a time for about 10-15 years without an issue. Some were stored in heated and climate controlled environments, some were in unheated storage and some were outside. Most, but not all were carbureted.

- Ethanol is crap and no good can come from it; it has far more issues with sitting than non corn contaminated fuel does. If you don't let it sit for more than a few weeks and you have a modern fuel injected motor that was designed for E10, you won't have as many problems. The only time I've had storage issues with anything was last year when two of my motocycles had to have the carbs rebuilt because I stored them with E10.....the telltale green ethanol deposits were the proof in the pudding as to the cause.

No additive is a silver bullet but I believe the Stabil does more good than not. YMMV.

Dave

Goodspike 11-03-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conesus1 (Post 5506623)
Fact is it didn't work for him

If they had stated that, that would be fine, but that was not the post I responded to. Nor do I believe I've responded to any posts here where the person said it didn't work for them, denying their experience.

[Mod Edit]

Conesus1 11-03-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodspike (Post 5506649)

False unsupported claims of fact are inappropriate and should not be made on this forum or forum.

This forum if full of them along with every media outlet there it.
Sta-bil in itself has made unsupported claims for the product.
Read there myth busters section.
Its nothing more then Stoddard solvent, mostly used in paints. It has paraffin in it which "I" believe is the reason for what people see, including myself.

Never ever had a problem storing fuel for less than a year, two tops before Ethanol was added to fuel and non ethanol was very hard to come by and expensive when you got it. So I tried Gum it up bil for a 2 seasons before I realized it was as much a problem as ethanol fuel.

So moral of the story is, stop using ethanol fuel, then you'll never need Gum it up bil. Non ethanol's fuels are easy to find, use it!

Goodspike 11-03-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conesus1 (Post 5506691)
So moral of the story is, stop using ethanol fuel, then you'll never need Gum it up bil. Non ethanol's fuels are easy to find, use it!

I've only seen it one place locally, and I use that term loosely. It's about an hour drive from my home.

My approach is more to run the engines regularly. I've driven my 89 Ranger almost every week for over 30 years, but that's not just for the fuel system. Small engines get started roughly monthly, and that is almost entirely for the fuel system. I grew up with outboard and inboard/outboard boats where carb issues from sitting were a PITA. And those boats would get a lot of use 4 months of the year.

Alpine36 11-03-2020 02:12 PM

Mechanic here with 40+ years in the trade. I have seen StaBil brand fuel stabilizer turn fuel into a waxy paste before. Thick grey deposits that remind me of Mt. St. Helens ash.
Granted, the only times I've seen it do this is where it was over applied and the vehicles sat longer than a year. Follow the instructions to the tee and remember one thing, more is not better.
Personally I prefer a couple of options cheaper than fuel stabilizer.
On small equipment such as chainsaws, blowers, mowers etc simply run them out of fuel. Never had a problem.
On larger things such as boats, motorcycles, classic vehicles and other gas powered things that are going to sit all winter I fill them with non ethanol fuel and Seafoam in the fall. If non ethanol fuel is not available follow the same procedure with E10. If parked indoors in a low condensation environment I'll slowly siphon off the fuel for my truck or Jeep during the winter. A 12v transfer pump works quite well on older vehicles and boats for this purpose.
I have heard good things about Startron, but have never used it. Personally I've never tried StaBil either. I'm sure it works if used correctly. When it causes problems is when the mechanics have to deal with it. Ask any decent driveability tech and they'll likely confirm, when StaBil goes bad, it's a real mess to deal with.
On the other hand, if it works for you why change? Just don't over apply and let them sit too long. My .02, fwiw.

Lt Dan 11-03-2020 07:59 PM

Thread Warning
The OP asked a simple question and this has devolved into arguments. Please keep your posts within the rules. State your opinion and move on.

Thank you to those posting on topic and within the rules.

Mudfrog 11-03-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodspike (Post 5506565)
Then start your post: "In my opinion." Don't make the claim as a claim of fact.

I often limit my statements, such as "Not my area" or "I'm not certain, but "

Here is what you originally posted: "Don't use it, it will foul you fuel injectors or carburator." That is a purported factual statement.

Sorry but you got the wrong guy. I did not post that.

jcussen 11-03-2020 10:29 PM

Down in hurricane country, keep stabil in my 20 gals of gas I keep for generator. Sometimes I go a year or so before using it. [I use gas in my riding mower]. I add the right amount every 8 months and have never had a problem.

JMonroe 11-04-2020 05:25 AM

Quote:

I've been using the gas Stabil for over 20 years and the diesel version for almost 10. No ill effects to date and no issue with gardens growing in the tank, unlike my neighbor who until recently used nothing. They had to pump his tank and drop it to clean it out.

Goodspike 11-04-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudfrog (Post 5507392)
Sorry but you got the wrong guy. I did not post that.

Sorry.

stew1 11-04-2020 12:41 PM

Use it on every fill up past 6 years unless in use , I keep tank full if not in use ,have had no problems with motor or generator