iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Accident Responsiveness (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/accident-responsiveness-514059.html)

Traveler78 11-08-2020 02:21 PM

Accident Responsiveness
 
Recently had a near accident in our Southwind Motorhome while on I-10 west of Katy, TX. Immediately slowing down prevented a second accident!
We were heading east, right lane, when an Audi station wagon passed us doing about 75mph. As it started to pass a Greyhound bus about 150 ft in front of us, the car drifted towards the bus, swung hard left, and overcorrected back to the right slamming into the left main wheels on the bus. I immediately started braking even though we were in no danger.
The car slides into the median, spinning, hits the wire barriers in the middle, and slingshots back at a much faster rate. Evidently the wire cables acted like a spring. As we continue braking the entire time, the car slides past us, left to right, backwards with the driver looking up at us. It missed us by about 20 ft.
It stopped in the ditch on the right side, all air bags deployed and the car totaled. We stopped, provided assistance, and then proceeded on.
Point of the Story: Had I not started braking immediately, the car would have slingshotted into the left side of our RV instead of passing in front of us. Braking quickly saved us. However, we've seen many RVs never slow down in traffic or approaching accidents. Be safe and save money and time in repairs!

Old-Biscuit 11-08-2020 02:45 PM

Defensive Driving....as it should be

Too bad it is not taught in high school before bad habits are acquired

AK_Howard 11-08-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5512630)
Defensive Driving....as it should be

Too bad it is not taught in high school before bad habits are acquired


Habits are acquired by children as soon as they can observe and reason. Johnny was asked what the traffic lights mean. "Red means stop, green means go." "And?", he was asked, "What does yellow mean?" "Oh, yellow means go faster," he quickly replied...

TXiceman 11-09-2020 10:01 AM

Now you have to spend 80% of your time driving for the other drivers and 20% of your time driving for yourself. Constant defensive driving by looking down the road at traffic and in the mirrors for traffic behind you and passing you.

Anytime I have a vehicle fly around me, and especially if they get into my lane, I an on the brakes giving them more room.

Ken

Ray,IN 11-09-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5512630)
Defensive Driving....as it should be

Too bad it is not taught in high school before bad habits are acquired

Drivers ED was taught in my high school. I vividly remember the emphasis the instructor/teacher put on defensive driving. I am very conscious of that driving our MH. He said "expect the worst thing that might happen and plan evasive action before it happens".
Traveler78 must have also had a great instructor.

TXTiger 11-09-2020 11:11 AM

Everyone driving an RV should take a Motorcycle driving class. We were taught defensive driving and everything taught applies to driving a RV. Always look ahead and give yourself an out in case of an emergency.

Capt Steve 11-09-2020 11:19 AM

Dat's da fact Jack!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXTiger (Post 5513728)
Everyone driving an RV should take a Motorcycle driving class. We were taught defensive driving and everything taught applies to driving a RV. Always look ahead and give yourself an out in case of an emergency.

X2
Riding a motorcycle {and living to tell about it} is about the best defensive driving skill builder there is. I always assume that no one sees me and if they do they are probably going to try and kill me. A little cynical? Perhaps, but that attitude has kept me whole for the last 7+ years and 100K+ miles over every type of road, highway and interstate you could imagine.

RichnSue 11-09-2020 12:02 PM

Our miss from the dash cam, wish there were cables in the median

https://youtu.be/Xnz30JJoLnA

Dutch Star Don 11-09-2020 12:23 PM

The last 16 years of my career, I was driving all over Los Angeles County, averaging about 35K miles a year and another 20K in my personal vehicles. Driving the Los Angeles freeway system taught me a valuable lesson......if ever you're driving and you see a cloud of dust or an unexplained disturbance ahead, it typically means some has crashed or is spinning out. When I saw this, before brake lights even started to come on, I always started slowing and moving out of traffic toward the center or right hand emergency lane. This saved me on a couple of occasions from being involved in a multi car accident.

Moral of the story.....if you see a disturbance ahead of you, even before you can identify what is happening, start taking evasive measures.

jrollf 11-09-2020 01:05 PM

Unfortunately, that sounds like a typical day on Houston area highways..

Texas has a pretty bad record in general... Electronic billboards are saying over 3,000 dead on Texas roads this year, unfortunately this is not our of the norm... yes TX averages around 10+ road deaths every day.

hamm2018 11-10-2020 08:05 AM

We are sitting at Lake Conroe right now, yesterday on the news an ambulance was hit by a Cheetos delivery truck while the ambulance was running with lights/sirens.

PJStough 11-10-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrollf (Post 5513847)
Unfortunately, that sounds like a typical day on Houston area highways..

Texas has a pretty bad record in general... Electronic billboards are saying over 3,000 dead on Texas roads this year, unfortunately this is not our of the norm... yes TX averages around 10+ road deaths every day.


I would say it is a miracle more people dont die in Texas road accidents, with theie on and off ramps between major interchanges, where people exiting the interstate have the right of way over people who are already traveling on roads paralleling the interstate.

PandS 11-11-2020 09:44 PM

Things happen fast on highways.
Here's dashcam footage of a near miss we had. Wishing safe travels to all! -Paul

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiZ9xSDrLNTXjhJz...5SzVL?e=elWRXD

akeagle 11-11-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXiceman (Post 5513655)
Now you have to spend 80% of your time driving for the other drivers and 20% of your time driving for yourself. Constant defensive driving by looking down the road at traffic and in the mirrors for traffic behind you and passing you.

Anytime I have a vehicle fly around me, and especially if they get into my lane, I an on the brakes giving them more room.

Ken


Excellent advice!!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.