iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   3M mask removed.... (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/3m-mask-removed-514425.html)

okcnewbie 11-11-2020 05:23 PM

3M mask removed....
 
3 Attachment(s)
We bought our first Class A last week and I had to remove the mask.
Day 1 was using a heat gun/scraper to remove the mask.
Day 2 was using solvent/scraper to remove the glue.
Day 3 (tomorrow) is touch up and polish/wax.

Probably about 16 hours

Dutch Star Don 11-11-2020 05:59 PM

No 3M mask....aren't you worried about the coach catching Covid? :dance:

That looks like about a 2005 or 2006 Diplomat. Our 2005 was the best coach we ever had.

HarryStone 11-11-2020 06:04 PM

The 3M paint protection is great stuff. Keeps rock chips and stuff to a minimum, but it only last for about 5 to 7 years. And it's a bear to remove.

okcnewbie 11-11-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 5516632)
No 3M mask....aren't you worried about the coach catching Covid? :dance:

That looks like about a 2005 or 2006 Diplomat. Our 2005 was the best coach we ever had.

It's a 2007 Diplomat. We bought it from a wealthy farmer that didn't take real good care of it. He replaced things that didn't work but never washed/waxed, etc. As we're cleaning her up we are starting to think we might have a little gem considering we paid way under market value. Here's to hoping......

akeagle 11-11-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryStone (Post 5516642)
The 3M paint protection is great stuff. Keeps rock chips and stuff to a minimum, but it only last for about 5 to 7 years. And it's a bear to remove.


Any idea if that 3M paint protection comes in sheets and available at auto parts stores? My Minnie Winnie has the forward facing flat surfaces where the coach body meets the chassis cab and the driver's side has taken stone hits on our Alaska Highway trips.

The damage isn't bad, just a few small dings in the fiberglass, but I'm thinking that protective sheeting might be worthwhile.

Opinions?

Bill Gail 11-11-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akeagle (Post 5516695)
Any idea if that 3M paint protection comes in sheets and available at auto parts stores? My Minnie Winnie has the forward facing flat surfaces where the coach body meets the chassis cab and the driver's side has taken stone hits on our Alaska Highway trips.

The damage isn't bad, just a few small dings in the fiberglass, but I'm thinking that protective sheeting might be worthwhile.

Opinions?

I suggest looking for a shop near you that does window tinting . Most of the shops also do vinyl wraps and the clear paint protection .

When I had our windows tinted it wasn't much more expensive than just purchasing the material.

Plus , you'll get a professional job . They make it look easy , but it's a real pain if you haven't done it before.

HarryStone 11-11-2020 09:26 PM

Yes, it is available in sheets. If you haven't installed it before, it can be challenging. If you have lots of money, get someone to do it for you. Otherwise, Youtube and patience. I've installed it on 2 vehicles so far.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paint-Prote...Cclp%3A2334524

Arch Hoagland 11-11-2020 09:48 PM

okcnewbie...I'm starting to think about removing mine. Where did you first start the process?

I'm thinking of starting with the door that opens up to the engine.

I called the dealer I bought it from 15 years ago and they quoted me about $4,000 to remove it.

Arby49 11-11-2020 09:59 PM

I did mine last year. Started at the front door lock as that was the smallest area, then went to work on the area around the mirrors. Took me several days though!

Wish you well!

Arch Hoagland 11-11-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arby49 (Post 5516904)
I did mine last year. Started at the front door lock as that was the smallest area, then went to work on the area around the mirrors. Took me several days though!

Wish you well!

Good call...I've got a small strip right beneath my entry door, About 3" by 2'.

Think I'll start there to see if I want to do the whole front.

akeagle 11-11-2020 10:44 PM

Bill and Harry: Thanks for the info!

HarryStone 11-11-2020 11:02 PM

For removal, heat is your friend. It's best to sit it out in the hot sun for several hours, but, in the winter, a hair drier is best. A heat gun may generate too much heat and that would be a bad thing.

153stars 11-12-2020 08:00 AM

I have a heat gun ,picked up at Ace with wheel adjustable from cool to very hot. I've read owners used wallpaper steamer as well, steam is very fast heat transfer. Never seen chip guard look like that one before. Like faux leather or something.

BonS 11-12-2020 12:45 PM

Here's a link to a bunch of videos by UglyshieldRemoval.com. They're the Florida company that both removes the shield and sells adhesive remover.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.