iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Military / Veteran RVing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   RV with firearms (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f96/rv-with-firearms-514497.html)

MarkK 11-24-2020 06:56 PM

My experience is to call each facility and ask what their rules are. One didn't want me to bring the gun in, or leave it. They just wanted make, model, ser #, and gave me the rules how it is to be stored.

BobinICT 11-25-2020 06:35 PM

Military installations are a whole different ball game. You want access, you play by their sand box rules or, you're not allowed to play in said sand box.

Fleagle 11-28-2020 06:12 PM

thanks for updates

thank you all for the advice.... Happy Thanksgiving

Amazen1955 12-06-2020 07:06 PM

McDill AFB Fl

The policy here is it must be registered with the SPs and with the camp office. You can keep it in your Camper and car going on and off base but not CC in facilities like commissary BX etc.

David 70 12-06-2020 07:33 PM

If you don't like it you do in fact have a right to leave, or not enter in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had known that 50 years ago:facepalm:

RightUR 05-23-2021 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat320 (Post 5518824)
It makes no sense to prohibit firearms from places where everybody entering has to have an ID and the majority of the folks stationed there are trained in the use of firearms.

Unfortunately there are those with PTSD, who have Firearms and were able to acquire them before they received their rating. In some instances the VA has to report the individual to the FBI to impede him from purchasing a firearm.
So, Yes the majority of folks are trained in the use of firearms, But military bases are also the places where you will find many afflicted by PTSD.
The last thing you want is for one of these poor vets or service members to go GaGa and shoot up the whole place. Sadly We've already experienced that.

markandkim 05-24-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightUR (Post 5763047)
Unfortunately there are those with PTSD, who have Firearms and were able to acquire them before they received their rating. In some instances the VA has to report the individual to the FBI to impede him from purchasing a firearm.
So, Yes the majority of folks are trained in the use of firearms, But military bases are also the places where you will find many afflicted by PTSD.
The last thing you want is for one of these poor vets or service members to go GaGa and shoot up the whole place. Sadly We've already experienced that.

Are you originally from TX?

RightUR 05-24-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markandkim (Post 5763567)
Are you originally from TX?

Hmm, Oh man, you gotta give me more than that.

Cat320 05-25-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

....So, Yes the majority of folks are trained in the use of firearms, But military bases are also the places where you will find many afflicted by PTSD...

This PTSD stuff is out of control. From what I have personally observed, I hope these guys are reevaluated at certain intervals.

Cooperhawk 05-25-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

I normally would just let this go by but perhaps you could justify that last statement because I see no trend like that at all.:cool:

n2zon 05-26-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat320 (Post 5765381)
This PTSD stuff is out of control. From what I have personally observed, I hope these guys are reevaluated at certain intervals.

I'm having trouble deciding whether to jump in or not, which is sort of a bad sign. I know a few military vets with PTSD very well. One is a family member.

They are reevaluated periodically, at least if they were medically retired with that as a component. It is not at all clear to me that the reevaluation process helps with anything. At all. It mostly adds stress to their lives. Evaluators want to bring up stuff they'd rather let fade. They don't need to be reminded. The nightmares often take years to stop after an intense deployment as it is.

The ones I know are peaceful folk. They have seen enough violence to last a lifetime. They have no wish to see any more, ever.

More to the point, rarely are these guys involved in any sort of mass shooting. And, from WWI forward, there have been a *lot* of them. So unless you have some direct evidence to offer, I think your hope is misplaced. Let 'em be.

Cooperhawk 05-26-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2zon (Post 5766738)
The ones I know are peaceful folk. They have seen enough violence to last a lifetime. They have no wish to see any more, ever.

More to the point, rarely are these guys involved in any sort of mass shooting. And, from WWI forward, there have been a *lot* of them. So unless you have some direct evidence to offer, I think your hope is misplaced. Let 'em be.

From someone who suffers from it, thank you. We are often cast in a bad light, and unfairly in my opinion.🤔

RightUR 05-28-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat320 (Post 5765381)

Hmmm. from what you observed. What about from what you Studied?
See when I go to the VA they are docile like kittens. Even in group meetings they seem "relaxed." It's best if you go to 20-30 of them and observe them on a daily basis in their private setting.

RightUR 05-28-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat320 (Post 5519677)
Yep, sure do, and had some of the combat arms type GIs been armed, there would not have been near the number of deaths of innocent people.

yes and if Military basis were Alcohol free, maybe military members would be able to carry.
How many military personnel go to the Class 6, the NCO club or officer club for "quick" drink before going home? All goes well for a thousand times, or 100K times, but then there's that 1 time. How do the American people respond to that? It's a PR nightmare. Not worth it.