iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Military / Veteran RVing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   RV with firearms (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f96/rv-with-firearms-514497.html)

powerboatr 07-07-2021 09:17 PM

wow really ventured off to another important rabbit hole

but we always call ahead and get post commanders guidance on firearms

i have found air force bases to be the best at letting it stay in rv ONLY

but again CALL AHEAD and ask what the current rules are.

but i have also been told dont ask and dont tell. keep the firearms in your rv and locked up. not in your toad trying to come and go

at some point soon it has to change to an official dod policy to allow firearms within the rv locked up and maybe a pre board registration so they know who has what.
if we find an installation is unfriendly to leaving them in the rv locked up. we go elsewhere, no way toady will we venture down life's road unarmed

donr103 07-07-2021 10:00 PM

I have not had a chance to read all the post yet, but look up Byrna.. and see what you think..

standerson 07-13-2021 09:54 AM

Every base is a little different, always call in advance.

Once, I put my firearm in the base armory, as required.

When I picked it up, it was dirty. They had shot it and not bothered to clean it.

I'm looking at the armor and drumming my fingers on the counter. I was hot. That little voice that keeps you out of trouble? Mine was screaming at me to just close the case and walk out.

I did.

From then on, always put trigger locks on them.

ArtJoyce 07-13-2021 10:01 AM

Carry in the safe. Just one did I feel we needed it out. My over reaction. No issues.

Sweetbriar 07-13-2021 10:45 AM

Many decades ago in my youth I was in school at a Navy Annex south of Va Beach. One day Seaman Stains (naturally not his real name) comes walking into the Base MAA's office with a S&W K frame revolver wanting to have it stored in the base armory. No prior notice to the base, command, main gate guard shack or anyone else. Just walked in and asked with the unloaded weapon in hand. As I understand, but could not confirm, the now Seaman "Apprentice" Stains never saw his weapon again and not long after shipped out with orders in hand to deck department of an AOE sailing out of Earl NJ.

Call ahead and make arrangements to secure your weapons before arriving at the gate. Your day will go much better if you do. Base security do not like surprises and they really don't like unauthorized weapons inside the base parameter. Finding one will give them something to talk for quite a long time.

RightUR 08-29-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyMac (Post 5822429)
"many" is a gross exaggeration. Please don't categorize us that way. I'm a 24 year air force vet, with 10 OEF/OIF/OND deployments in the C-130. I'm also the son of a 31 year 3-war Marine vet. PTSD is rare in the extreme, in my experience. I've known alot of guys who've done some spooky things, and they are just fine.

Easy there, my experience is not yours and vice versa. I worked at the VA. There a tons of Air force vets that have PTSD. And here's something you don't know, well why would you? Many Air force vets with PTSD are females. Guess why they are getting PTSD disability? They were RAPED, Sexually assaulted and harassed. Yeah I know it happens in other branches to, but I'm the inquisitive type, I couldn't understand why so many folks from the AF were getting disability for PTSD, then I read their records.

markandkim 08-30-2021 09:30 AM

Not the right time for this.

forensics.dr 09-05-2021 06:17 PM

Firearms & RV's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray,IN (Post 5530495)
:thumb: We are admitted at the whim of the installation commander.

Actually, it is the DoD, & the individual military services that set these types of regulations. For the most part, and even then only within DoD & individual service regulations, installation commanders cannot alter, nor prescribe special requirements more restrictive than those in these applicable regulations. There are, however, special DoD regulations relative to the individual types of facilities, i.e. those containing certain types of classified information, nuclear facilities, etc., that may be more restrictive than the general regulations that might otherwise apply.

The predication for possession of firearms by certain active and retired military personnel, (as well as all qualified active and retired law enforcement officers, for that matter) is found in 18 U.S.C. 922(q) and 36 C.F.R. 2.4(e) & (h), which govern this subject in general.

Then again, there is the question as to "Common Sense", which does not supersede the preceding citations, however can reduce complications that individuals may be subjected to in any individual case. There is an old adage that, while I cannot quote it verbatim, essentially says that if one does not do anything to attract the attention of a law enforcement officer, e.g. violate the law in their presence, it is highly unlikely that one will be called upon to explain their (mis)conduct. Nothing is 100%, however, in this instance I can tell you as one who has long experience in law enforcement, including time as a Chief of Police, there is a lot of truth to this adage. The act of showing respect for the officer, and his badge and authority, as well as being polite and well mannered can go a long way when the officer is acting in areas where they are empowered to show discretion in their decision-making process. I know of many instances where the absence of having done so has resulted an individual being subjected to legal jeopardy, and cum situs est manifesta, the opposite is (quite probably, but then again there would be no reason for me, or anyone other than the law enforcement officer in question to actually know about it) true as well.

RScottB 09-06-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleagle (Post 5517537)
I did a search for information on this, within the group. I came up with two links and both were outdated. Any one know what the current rules are if you stay at a "on base RV camp ground".

It's all dependent mostly with the base commander and what the commander inherited when assuming command, no is the usual safe solution for each commander.

ChuckandSun 09-24-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5517544)
Almost every military base requires all private firearms be checked in with the security police/armory. It's no problem, just a bit of a hassle to take your weapons to the armory and get a receipt. This is the main rule for almost all bases. Some have said "no weapons at all". Of course, there are also a few exceptions if you have a hunting permit for on base.

When you take your weapons to the armory, be sure they are unloaded, chamber open, and they don't want your ammo.

Not in my case. We stayed at Corpus Christi NAS and they wanted my ammo in the armory, had to unload the mags, and COUNTED EVERY ROUND!.

Eric R 10-02-2021 08:15 PM

Thanks, Ray, IN.
Excellent points to ponder.