iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Generator will not stay running (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/generator-will-not-stay-running-519328.html)

dennismhamm 12-26-2020 07:35 AM

Generator will not stay running

Gen 7500 diesel will fire up and run for about 5 seconds then shuts down. I have changed the temp sensor but did not help at all. If anyone has any info your help will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

dave&ginny 12-26-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5572125)
Gen will fire up and run for about 5 seconds then shuts down. I have changed the temp sensor but did not help at all. If anyone has any info your help will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

There's a governor control that sometimes will vibrate loose. I had this happen with one of my generators years ago. If you look around the linkage you'll see 2 adjustment screws, don't move them much but move them a little. These keep the RPMs at an exact level

good luck

lazybyrd 12-26-2020 07:59 AM

Dumb question but you have to start somewhere... plenty of fuel in the tank? Fuel filter changed recently?

dennismhamm 12-26-2020 08:01 AM

yes. fuel tank is full also just changed the oil fuel filter and air filter

Old Scout 12-26-2020 08:06 AM

Possibilities: oil pressure, water pump belt, internal electronic control issue, fuel supply, or battery bank charging issue....but as mentioned, most of these would/should create a control panel fault code [blinking lights]....

lazybyrd 12-26-2020 08:06 AM

Oil and coolant levels ok?
No codes?

dennismhamm 12-26-2020 08:11 AM

it was showing a code of 24 which suggests temp sensor and i chaned that but did not help

Old Scout 12-26-2020 08:13 AM

…..so water pump belt was ok?

lazybyrd 12-26-2020 08:16 AM

Another question...showing my ignorance here, when a code is generated is there a process by which you need to reset?

dennismhamm 12-26-2020 08:19 AM

old scout. it looked ok? what would i look for as far has the water pump belt?

deandec 12-26-2020 10:04 AM

I had that problem when the generator radiator fan belt was loose.

Many Generator Manuals have a step by step Trouble Shooting flow chart at the back of the booklet. :thumb:

Usually separate sections for engine problems and generation problems.

LETMGROW 12-26-2020 10:12 AM

Recent oil change. Recheck the oil level.
Was it running OK before the oil change?

Old Scout 12-26-2020 01:59 PM

…..sounds good...its mostly an age thing other than belt tension....Onan doesn't use a tension pulley so belt provides its own tension once installed on the pulleys....this belt doesn't get a lot of work so as long as its intact [eg not shredding], its probably ok....

dennismhamm 12-26-2020 05:03 PM

it started about a week ago

Rusty Bear 12-26-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5572164)
yes. fuel tank is full also just changed the oil fuel filter and air filter

Could be new fuel filter defective.

Old Scout 12-27-2020 06:04 AM

…...defective fuel filter???????--probably not.....need to keep looking.

dennismhamm 12-27-2020 06:22 AM

new fuel filter after it started it. still looking. at my sons now he's checking it out. we have checked all connections re tighten every connection and still no luck

Jeep401 12-27-2020 06:31 AM

Did you happen to clear the codes and start over to see if it's still the same?

Mine did this the other day after running under load for about five minutes but clears it self up after restarting a few time.

I still need to go back and look at and clear codes. I didn't find out that I pulled them wrong until after I had come back in the house for the day and it was running fine.

dennismhamm 12-27-2020 06:32 AM

not to sure how to clear codes?

Bsipe01 12-27-2020 06:39 AM

I've experienced problems when the tank goes between 1/2 & 1/4 & the genset shuts down. Have you re-primed thoroughly? If the engine kicks off but runs really rough & shuts down, it's probably fuel related. Since you mention filter in your post, and you're describing what sounds like fuel starving, I'd focus on priming thoroughly. AFAIK, the control module will time out if you prime it too long (I believe 3 mins), but other than that, there shouldn't be an issue. Time it, 3 minutes is a LONG time. No fuel, no joy. Good luck!

Jeep401 12-27-2020 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5573130)

Well I can't figure out how to give you a link to the PDF, sorry.
If you Google " Onan QD 7500 codes" a ton of info will come up including a PDF of the manual.

Jeep401 12-27-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bsipe01 (Post 5573134)
I've experienced problems when the tank goes between 1/2 & 1/4 & the genset shuts down. Have you re-primed thoroughly? If the engine kicks off but runs really rough & shuts down, it's probably fuel related. Since you mention filter in your post, and you're describing what sounds like fuel starving, I'd focus on priming thoroughly. AFAIK, the control module will time out if you prime it too long (I believe 3 mins), but other than that, there shouldn't be an issue. Time it, 3 minutes is a LONG time. No fuel, no joy. Good luck!

I felt mine was fuel related also. I could hear the pump prime so I figured the filter is getting plugged or had a air pocket.

Jeep401 12-27-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5573130)

If there are no lights flashing on your manual switch push it to prime 3 times within 5 seconds this will get it flashing if there are any codes.
Count the flashes, in my case it was three.
This only told me I had codes when I looked it up.
Now press the prime again 1 time, this should give you a set of flashes that you need to count. A number of flashes then a pause and a second number of flashes.
This will be your code to look up and start to troubleshoot.
Press the prime 2 times to clear the codes and attempt to run the generator again and see what codes if any come back up.
Clear as mud right..
Just remember 3,1,2
3 times to wake it up.
1 time to get code.
2 times to clear.
Hopefully this will give you a new starting point and also make sure you are not trying to troubleshoot for a random old code.

Hope this get you going in the right direction.

Mile Marker 42 12-27-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Gen 7500 diesel will fire up and run for about 5 seconds then shuts down. I have changed the temp sensor but did not help at all. If anyone has any info your help will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Had a very similar issue with my 7500 QD with I believe the same code. My issue was, it would run 5 mins then shut down. All the basics were fine such as oil, coolant level etc. Someone here mentioned that in the aviation business, they disconnect power to a plane to clear codes. He suggested I do the same, and it actually worked for me. What I did was: disconnect both power cables underneath from the generator for 30 mins. While disconnected I wire brushed both cable ends and the mounting studs they go to. They usually have a bit of corrosion there. Then, connect them back up. Hold the generator button down for 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, start generator. Honestly, this worked for my issue. Might be worth a shot on yours, unless you already had these disconnected to replace your sensor.

Old Scout 12-27-2020 03:26 PM

….you can also hold down the on/off switch on the genset [not the cabinet or dash] in the off position to manually prime the pump/engine.....while running, the pump sound should change pitch when a good prime has been achieved....

wolfe10 12-27-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Scout (Post 5573772)
the pump sound should change pitch when a good prime has been achieved....

Yup, fuel pump speed/RPM higher pumping AIR. Once it pumps fuel, it will slow down/RPM will be lower.

DrDaveMA 12-27-2020 11:19 PM

Since you stated you just changed the fuel and air filters the first thing I would do is park my finger on the stop side of the start/stop switch for AT LEAST 3 minutes, while doing that listen to the fuel pump to see if the sound changes. This will prime the fuel system (in other words fill the new fuel filter). If that does not get it started read the error codes.

Coach nut 12-27-2020 11:45 PM

Generator won't stay running

I had a similar problem run for 2 mins and stop ? It was fuel pump worn out ! Disconnect hose to carb and prime with switch and check flow! Hope that helps?

dennismhamm 12-28-2020 05:42 PM

We are at Cummins sevice in Orlando Fl to get the gen fixed. They have a few sites with water and electric at no charge to stay on while the gen is being repaired which is really nice.Will update when i find out what the problem is. Thanks everyone for all your input and help.

dennismhamm 12-30-2020 08:08 AM

The gen problem turned out to be the inverter/controller inside the gen. They are installing the new one today. Thanks for all the help!

Old Scout 12-30-2020 08:23 AM

WOW--good to finally get a solution but that will be an expensive one....appreciate the feedback......

okcnewbie 12-30-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5577107)
The gen problem turned out to be the inverter/controller inside the gen. They are installing the new one today. Thanks for all the help!

I think I read at flight systems or some other site that many times the control board isn't bad and it's just the connections. I am always a bit sceptical when it comes to electronic troubleshooting. I hope they were able to know which signal was/wasn't getting to where it needed to . Good luck.

dennismhamm 12-30-2020 08:51 AM

Old Scout. 1700 just for the inverter

Old Scout 12-30-2020 08:54 AM

PS--probably not a contributing factor but on our Alpines the seam for the genset cabinet top is right below where some condensation drips from the dash AC evap. coil connections. Ironically, the Onan "brain" box [$$$$$$] is located inside the cabinet and right underneath that seam ….the seam doesn't appear to be weather tight so I used putty tape [easy to remove/replace] to seal both the top seam and the seams that run down past the genset on/off/start switch on the cabinet.

swduns 12-30-2020 09:28 AM

I've taken generators to Onan/Cummins three separate times and was charged >$1000 each time. The generator had the same problem after I got it back. In each case, afterwards, I used Flight System's help to diagnose the problem and fix it myself. I'm not a fan. #SAD

dennismhamm 12-30-2020 12:49 PM

All fixed up and running!

Old Scout 12-30-2020 03:50 PM

...all is well that ends well....you are all fixed up and ready to hit the road again!!!!

Brianna 12-30-2020 10:17 PM

I have the "might take 2 or 3 times to finally keep running strong".
Is that simply an age thing?
Generator is serviced.

dennismhamm 12-31-2020 08:34 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that cummins in Orlando Fl is a great place to have your gen worked on! They were so nice and accommodated us to the full extent. They had the rv sites with power and water to stay in while they did the work to the gen. Outstanding company and had the part overnight so the work could be completed the next morning. Will always return to have sevice and repairs.

lazybyrd 12-31-2020 09:24 AM

A good review goes a long way for those of us who may need the service in the future. On the other side of the fence, you cannot get much better advertisement for your services.

Schuby 12-31-2020 09:36 AM

Dennis, with the bad inverter board in gen and fried connection in the old inverter did Cummins say if one caused the other to fail?

okcnewbie 12-31-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5578294)
Just wanted to let everyone know that cummins in Orlando Fl is a great place to have your gen worked on! They were so nice and accommodated us to the full extent. They had the rv sites with power and water to stay in while they did the work to the gen. Outstanding company and had the part overnight so the work could be completed the next morning. Will always return to have sevice and repairs.

It's great to here about the good experiences. We'd all love cheap and professional but in the real world we just want the right parts changed out and some professionalism on top of it.

Gb 63 01-01-2021 05:57 PM

My Generac was doing that and I opened up the control panel and saw that there was a voltage regulator system and when I would jump a hot wire to the fuel pump the light would come on see if there was a wire off your voltage regulator inside the control panel. And also their little green lights two of them they must be on it has to supply electricity to the circuit that runs the electric fuel pump

gmcgene 01-01-2021 06:22 PM

I've taken generators to Onan/Cummins three separate times and was charged >$1000 each time. The generator had the same problem after I got it back. In each case, afterwards, I used Flight System's help to diagnose the problem and fix it myself. I'm not a fan.

My Onan experience at Cummins was similar- but not as bad- I only went once.
What was the problem with your generator?

My issue was with the glow plug circuit blowing the fuse. Their proposed solution was to replace the inverter at a cost of $2000, which I declined.

I was able to by pass the glow plug circuit in the start switch wiring. I connected a separate push button switch and fuse to energize the glow plugs. Cost less than $10.00. If glow plugs are needed I just have to depress both switches simultaneously.

I'm sure there is simple, inexpensive way to repair the original circuit, but it's above my pay grade.

I posted this in the hope that someone else has had this problem and can explain how to repair the original circuit it without replacing the inverter.

bilb2765 01-03-2021 02:52 PM

Oil just changed. Check low oil sensor. I had one go bad, and it shut Genny off.

siammike 01-03-2021 02:53 PM

Change the fuel pump & fuel filter.

PeterFTH 01-03-2021 02:57 PM

I would suspect an air leak in the fuel system - a temperature fault won't shut it down so quickly. Fuel starvation is what I would look for. This may not be a DIY repair - an Onan/Cummins dealer would be the smart place to go as they have the test equipment to trace the problem.

Left2Chance 01-03-2021 02:59 PM

Did u try adjusting the throttle?

rbtharris 01-03-2021 03:00 PM

Maybe broken belt?

Quote:

On a prior motorhome, I had a gas genset. It was doing the same thing. The motor would start and then shut off. Search the forum for "Onan 7500 belt replacement". Spk64 provided a really good writeup for the 7500.

It sounds like you've already replaced the typical maintenance items.

harry2u 01-03-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

On mine I replaced the printed circuit board part was around $450 pled 2 hours labor including diagnostic

Buly 01-03-2021 03:07 PM

Generator

Diesel engine basically needs only air and fuel to run. If yours starts and runs for 5 min at the time, it means the glow plug etc are fine.
Your problem is in the fuel side. Most diesels also have a very fine fuel filter after the fuel/water separator, usually a spin on.

Marty1096 01-03-2021 03:08 PM

Level of diesel fuel

Our generator is connected to how much diesel fuel we have.

Around 1/2 to 1/3 the generator kicks off.

BudMB 01-03-2021 03:12 PM

Ours would run for about 5 minutes then sputtered to a stop. Over and over again. Onan changed the fuel pump. It's been running fine ever since.

tom rupe 01-03-2021 03:14 PM

Had same problem with Onan 5500 gas. Code said see a dealer which I did. The rubber coupler between the engine crankshaft and the belt pulley was broken so the generator was not turning. No voltage output so computer shut down engine. Good luck.

JPusser 01-03-2021 03:23 PM

I had a similar issue on a Newmar gas coach. It smelled like the generator motor was flooded and would only run a few seconds before shutting off. Eventually, it was difficult to even start the generator. Fortunately, we have a local Onan service shop so asked the owner and he said it sounded like the float in the carburetor had a hole and was holding fuel inside. Sure enough, when I removed the carburetor the little white float was full of gas. He gave me a float that he had just laying around in his shop and I replaced it myself. After that it ran fine until the motorhome was sold about a year after the issue arose.

jss540 01-03-2021 03:25 PM

When mine did that I used the generator manual to troubleshoot. Ended up doing some kind of reset by starting it with the switch on the generator housing in the front bay. Kind of like rebooting a computer.

JERRY5561 01-03-2021 03:25 PM

if you just changed oil it may be too full, you tube shows if you fill to full level on dip stick its too full

jjnickeson 01-03-2021 03:32 PM

We had a Generac that did that. It was the brushes in the armature that were bad.
Very expensive to repair because unit has to be pulled out and disassembled.

AFChap 01-03-2021 03:41 PM

I had a temp sensor error after a coolant change. I had to go through the procedure in the manual to purge air from the system, which the service place apparent did not do.

scarpa 01-03-2021 03:45 PM

Last year I had my gen serviced at Freightliner. About a month later I hit the road and same thing happened to me. Luckily I only had a two hr trip. I kept getting low oil pressure warning and it just kept cutting out. Checked the oil and I had plenty. In fact, it was way over filled. I drained some out with a hose and hand pump. Started it up and hasn’t had a problem since.

Jamie65 01-03-2021 03:45 PM

Some RV's have a second filter external of the generator, follow the rubber fuel line from the gen to the hard line. That's where I found my external filter that was plugged

Paul1709 01-03-2021 03:59 PM

Hallo,

Wenn der generator anspringt und nach kurzer Zeit wieder aus geht, schau bitte das ausreichend Kraftstoff nach dem Filter kommt,

Mr Ken 01-03-2021 04:15 PM

Generator won’t stay running

Quote:

Generators look for output voltage when they start up. If they don’t read it or it’s funky they shut down, and it is usually the brushes.

KirkDB 01-03-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave&ginny (Post 5572142)
There's a governor control that sometimes will vibrate loose. I had this happen with one of my generators years ago. If you look around the linkage you'll see 2 adjustment screws, don't move them much but move them a little. These keep the RPMs at an exact level

good luck

I believe that's what controls the frequency Hz. You can test this if you have a watt meter or anything else that will show you the frequency ... should be very close to 60hz or the generator will shut down.

Kendorado 01-03-2021 05:01 PM

Generator won't keep running..

Does you fuel system need priming? many diesel fuel systems need to be primed is the pressure is lost or if a filter is changed. Also, add fuel to the filter bowl before re-connecting.
Diesels just don't die. it is usually a fuel system.....
Ken

Doug-Terrie 01-03-2021 05:07 PM

I had a similar problem with a similar gen set. I had a bit too much oil. Drained out a bit and was fine. I hope you didn’t get taken by the repair shop.

JDaveB 01-03-2021 05:14 PM

Do you have an inverter with auto gen start. / stop? If so I’d check the time set for the gen to be “off”. This happened to me once with same symptoms - turned out the gen “off” settings were messed up

Dave

one55chev 01-03-2021 06:55 PM

Generation system

Check the oil level, if it is low it may automatically shut down. Coolant may do the same thing.

bobfrommaine 01-03-2021 07:19 PM

Five seconds? Low oil pressure or high water temperature. When the generator starts, the alarms are disabled for 5 seconds (alarms for low oil pressure, high water temp), if the alarms don't clear within 5 seconds, the genset will automatically shut down. Check oil level, look at oil filter to assure it wasn't double gasketed, if it was, oil will pee out at the gasket and no oil pressure will build. If high water temp, a wire may have fallen or been knocked off. Or the wire going to the control box which carries the alarm signal may have been knocked off. Both can be troubleshot using a multimeter if you ahve one and know where to look.
Good luck.

Master_Call 01-03-2021 07:54 PM

Generator Problem Keeping it running

I know that this might be a stupid question butt, is your fuel tank (RV tank) above 1/4 full as most RV generators shut off at 1/4full ?????

Johng38 01-03-2021 08:12 PM

I had a similar problem one time on a 6" diesel trash pump and the problem was the oil pressure sensor. The oil level can be full but the engine will automatically shut down if the sensor is not working properly and senses low or no oil pressure.

borndae2 01-03-2021 08:22 PM

Had the same problem. Took RV to Billy Thibodeaux’s Premier RV in Scott, Louisiana. They ran a camera down the “drop tube” in RV diesel tank where generator draws diesel and found A hole had rusted in tube which caused generator to catch air. Changed tube and no problem.

JimWW 01-03-2021 10:05 PM

read the thread

Obviously lots of you guys are not reading the thread before posting. If you go back about 2 and a half pages you will see that the OP got it fixed and is back on the road.

But FYI... when mine did this. Cummins replaced the fuel pump.

DougJames65 01-04-2021 03:40 AM

Check your oil level. W had the same problem about a year ago. Lights on start button were flashing code 2 which means low oil pressure. Check out the trouble codes on onan.com. Our oil was 1/2 a quart low, added oil and that fixed our problem.

Bazou7101 01-04-2021 08:04 AM

Generators low oil pressure shut down have a short delay because the pressure is not there on start up, check to see your low oil pressure switch is not defective.

Old Scout 01-04-2021 08:13 AM

….this horse has left the barn--problem solve 20 posts ago--right or wrong, Cummins installed new control module....time to move on….

gofastnow 01-04-2021 08:23 AM

Another add to the genset shutting down syndrome---I had a mud dabber make a nest in fuel tank's vent line. Gen would run for about 30 minutes and shut down for lack of fuel.

2upServant 01-04-2021 09:03 AM

mine would do that and what I found was a pinch in the fuel line. look to see if your fuel line may have been pitched or bent. starving the motor for fuel and shutting it down until the fuel get filled back up.

georgeblack 01-04-2021 10:03 AM

I have the Onan 7500 and same thing happened to me once. My coolant was low. Topped
up and started right up. Good ever since (2 years ago) Good luck.

Bulletman911 01-04-2021 09:03 PM

Hello I had the same problem after changing the oil. Found out from another person the dip stick on this generator was marked wrong. The low mark is the full mark. If there is too muck oil in the crank case the oil foams up and sensors sends error signal to the onboard computer and shuts engine down. Mine would run for a few minutes and shut down. Then I would restart right away and it would shut down again. I drained out about a pint of oil and been running great again. Didn't have that problem tiil I had changed the oil. Is good now
Hope this helps. Dave G.

bobcor 01-05-2021 12:26 PM

Check flashing code light first on switch. If no code I would bet you have a clogged fuel filter. Must be changed every 500hrs. They do clog up. It has happened to me. Easy to change. I assume all fluids are normal.

Old Scout 01-05-2021 03:34 PM

81 post--40 more since the problem was solved--does anyone read the thread before posting?

dennismhamm 01-05-2021 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to add. Cummins claims that the faulty house inverter is the reason for the gen inveAttachment 313561rter controller going out.

twinboat 01-05-2021 03:41 PM

My generator stays running.

96 Wideglide 01-05-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5585331)
My generator stays running.

Sounds like you may have enough fuel in your tank ;)!!

Oucamptoo 01-06-2021 04:48 AM

Quote:

A simple oversight could be your fuel tank is below a quarter I ran into this issue and the generator would not run if my fuel tank was less than a quarter full.

gmcgene 01-06-2021 08:35 AM

The OP's problem was solved long ago.
But if y'all still want to trouble shoot Onan's see post #44 above or jump over to the new Onan thread I just posted

Bobthegod 01-07-2021 11:35 AM

I didn't read every response here but one thing gets overlooked is the PHASE output of the generator. If the phase is off most every generator will shut down. So how do you check this? You can't you need to take it to the authorized manufacturer or a good generator mechanic. Bring it in for just this test and nothing else, so they will check it and only it, or, they may tell you it's fuel, or a belt, or pump etc.

Old Scout 01-07-2021 12:15 PM

….as mentioned--some of these smaller genset aren't phased--don't about the 7500/8000?