iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Generator will not stay running (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/generator-will-not-stay-running-519328.html)

dennismhamm 12-28-2020 05:42 PM

We are at Cummins sevice in Orlando Fl to get the gen fixed. They have a few sites with water and electric at no charge to stay on while the gen is being repaired which is really nice.Will update when i find out what the problem is. Thanks everyone for all your input and help.

dennismhamm 12-30-2020 08:08 AM

The gen problem turned out to be the inverter/controller inside the gen. They are installing the new one today. Thanks for all the help!

Old Scout 12-30-2020 08:23 AM

WOW--good to finally get a solution but that will be an expensive one....appreciate the feedback......

okcnewbie 12-30-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5577107)
The gen problem turned out to be the inverter/controller inside the gen. They are installing the new one today. Thanks for all the help!

I think I read at flight systems or some other site that many times the control board isn't bad and it's just the connections. I am always a bit sceptical when it comes to electronic troubleshooting. I hope they were able to know which signal was/wasn't getting to where it needed to . Good luck.

dennismhamm 12-30-2020 08:51 AM

Old Scout. 1700 just for the inverter

Old Scout 12-30-2020 08:54 AM

PS--probably not a contributing factor but on our Alpines the seam for the genset cabinet top is right below where some condensation drips from the dash AC evap. coil connections. Ironically, the Onan "brain" box [$$$$$$] is located inside the cabinet and right underneath that seam ….the seam doesn't appear to be weather tight so I used putty tape [easy to remove/replace] to seal both the top seam and the seams that run down past the genset on/off/start switch on the cabinet.

swduns 12-30-2020 09:28 AM

I've taken generators to Onan/Cummins three separate times and was charged >$1000 each time. The generator had the same problem after I got it back. In each case, afterwards, I used Flight System's help to diagnose the problem and fix it myself. I'm not a fan. #SAD

dennismhamm 12-30-2020 12:49 PM

All fixed up and running!

Old Scout 12-30-2020 03:50 PM

...all is well that ends well....you are all fixed up and ready to hit the road again!!!!

Brianna 12-30-2020 10:17 PM

I have the "might take 2 or 3 times to finally keep running strong".
Is that simply an age thing?
Generator is serviced.

dennismhamm 12-31-2020 08:34 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that cummins in Orlando Fl is a great place to have your gen worked on! They were so nice and accommodated us to the full extent. They had the rv sites with power and water to stay in while they did the work to the gen. Outstanding company and had the part overnight so the work could be completed the next morning. Will always return to have sevice and repairs.

lazybyrd 12-31-2020 09:24 AM

A good review goes a long way for those of us who may need the service in the future. On the other side of the fence, you cannot get much better advertisement for your services.

Schuby 12-31-2020 09:36 AM

Generator will not stay running

Dennis, with the bad inverter board in gen and fried connection in the old inverter did Cummins say if one caused the other to fail?

okcnewbie 12-31-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5578294)
Just wanted to let everyone know that cummins in Orlando Fl is a great place to have your gen worked on! They were so nice and accommodated us to the full extent. They had the rv sites with power and water to stay in while they did the work to the gen. Outstanding company and had the part overnight so the work could be completed the next morning. Will always return to have sevice and repairs.

It's great to here about the good experiences. We'd all love cheap and professional but in the real world we just want the right parts changed out and some professionalism on top of it.