iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Generator will not stay running (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/generator-will-not-stay-running-519328.html)

JERRY5561 01-03-2021 03:25 PM

if you just changed oil it may be too full, you tube shows if you fill to full level on dip stick its too full

jjnickeson 01-03-2021 03:32 PM

We had a Generac that did that. It was the brushes in the armature that were bad.
Very expensive to repair because unit has to be pulled out and disassembled.

AFChap 01-03-2021 03:41 PM

I had a temp sensor error after a coolant change. I had to go through the procedure in the manual to purge air from the system, which the service place apparent did not do.

scarpa 01-03-2021 03:45 PM

Generator will not stay running

Last year I had my gen serviced at Freightliner. About a month later I hit the road and same thing happened to me. Luckily I only had a two hr trip. I kept getting low oil pressure warning and it just kept cutting out. Checked the oil and I had plenty. In fact, it was way over filled. I drained some out with a hose and hand pump. Started it up and hasn’t had a problem since.

Jamie65 01-03-2021 03:45 PM

Some RV's have a second filter external of the generator, follow the rubber fuel line from the gen to the hard line. That's where I found my external filter that was plugged

Paul1709 01-03-2021 03:59 PM

Hallo,

Wenn der generator anspringt und nach kurzer Zeit wieder aus geht, schau bitte das ausreichend Kraftstoff nach dem Filter kommt,

Mr Ken 01-03-2021 04:15 PM

Generator won’t stay running

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismhamm (Post 5572125)
Gen 7500 diesel will fire up and run for about 5 seconds then shuts down. I have changed the temp sensor but did not help at all. If anyone has any info your help will be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Generators look for output voltage when they start up. If they don’t read it or it’s funky they shut down, and it is usually the brushes.

KirkDB 01-03-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave&ginny (Post 5572142)
There's a governor control that sometimes will vibrate loose. I had this happen with one of my generators years ago. If you look around the linkage you'll see 2 adjustment screws, don't move them much but move them a little. These keep the RPMs at an exact level

good luck

I believe that's what controls the frequency Hz. You can test this if you have a watt meter or anything else that will show you the frequency ... should be very close to 60hz or the generator will shut down.

Kendorado 01-03-2021 05:01 PM

Generator won't keep running..

Does you fuel system need priming? many diesel fuel systems need to be primed is the pressure is lost or if a filter is changed. Also, add fuel to the filter bowl before re-connecting.
Diesels just don't die. it is usually a fuel system.....
Ken

Doug-Terrie 01-03-2021 05:07 PM

I had a similar problem with a similar gen set. I had a bit too much oil. Drained out a bit and was fine. I hope you didn’t get taken by the repair shop.

JDaveB 01-03-2021 05:14 PM

Do you have an inverter with auto gen start. / stop? If so I’d check the time set for the gen to be “off”. This happened to me once with same symptoms - turned out the gen “off” settings were messed up

Dave

one55chev 01-03-2021 06:55 PM

Generation system

Check the oil level, if it is low it may automatically shut down. Coolant may do the same thing.

bobfrommaine 01-03-2021 07:19 PM

Five seconds? Low oil pressure or high water temperature. When the generator starts, the alarms are disabled for 5 seconds (alarms for low oil pressure, high water temp), if the alarms don't clear within 5 seconds, the genset will automatically shut down. Check oil level, look at oil filter to assure it wasn't double gasketed, if it was, oil will pee out at the gasket and no oil pressure will build. If high water temp, a wire may have fallen or been knocked off. Or the wire going to the control box which carries the alarm signal may have been knocked off. Both can be troubleshot using a multimeter if you ahve one and know where to look.
Good luck.

Master_Call 01-03-2021 07:54 PM

Generator Problem Keeping it running

I know that this might be a stupid question butt, is your fuel tank (RV tank) above 1/4 full as most RV generators shut off at 1/4full ?????