iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Boondocking (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/)
-   -   Lets talk about GC2 6V (golf cart) battery's (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/lets-talk-about-gc2-6v-golf-cart-batterys-519459.html)

YODA 12-27-2020 12:47 PM

Lets talk about GC2 6V (golf cart) battery's

I am wanting to build a 4 pack set of GC2 battery's. The lithium ions are out of my price range with having to get a new charger and upgrading a lot of stuff. We do travel in the cold too (sub zero at times), so cold weather charging is an issue unless they are heated. Not a deal killer though.

My current dual 12V are starting to show signs of age (interstate deep cycle made in 2017) Its taking longer to charge to 100%

Now it used to be Trojan GC2 6V were the good standard. They have three models T105, T125, and T145 also available in their Plus system . I am looking at the 145 series. I am not sure what the plus system means - caps look different and something about embedded terminals. In the pictures they pretty much look the same.

My local dealer has stopped carrying them due to service and price. His distribute went out of business due to the higher price (not covid). He recommends the DEKA GC15 or GC45. I also see US Battery mentioned in other threads US 145 XC2 along with Interstate 2400 series.

So if I may ask, what brand and model 6V GC2 battery's are you using?
Thanks
Happy New Year

DavidEM 12-27-2020 01:20 PM

Golf cart batteries are so ubiquitous and there is lots of competition, so you never find a bad manufacturer in that market. Yes Trojan is the gold standard, but Deka and others are probably 90% as good. If you are a Costco or Sam's club member, check their prices. Also stop by a large golf cart dealer/service center. I bought four many years from one for a good price and they worked out fine.

David

Winemaker2 12-27-2020 02:00 PM

I switched to AGM 6V GC by Duracell / East Penn.
$179 Ea at Sams Club.
FLA Duracells from Sams Club are about half that at $90. Hard to beat if you compare &/AH /cycle basis.
Trojans and others claimed to be "better" but at 1.5-2X $ I doubt anyone could breakeven or come out ahead.
No interest in Duracell / East Penn other than a satisfied customer for many years / battys.

KD4UPL 12-27-2020 05:58 PM

I install off grid solar system for a living. I've installed hundreds of batteries over the years for my customers. The vast majority have been Deka batteries and I've had very good results with them. I'm not sure specifically how many of what type Deka GC I've installed but there have been some. I've also used Crown and US Battery GCs. The US battery didn't last as long as they should have.
Trojans are great batteries but I don't think they're enough better to justify the increased price.

twinboat 12-27-2020 06:32 PM

Your going from 2, 12 volt batteries to 4, GC2, 6 volt batteties.

You are probable almost tripling your battery capacity with the 4, low priced big box store, 205 AH GC2s. Spend more and get more AH.

Have you done an energy audit to see how much capacity you actually need.

Adding capacity, and using it, means longer recharge times or higher output charger.

You need to figure all of that in.

Barbarian 12-27-2020 09:46 PM

I installed 4 US battery XC 250 6 volt sweeper batteries. Wound up with 560 AH at 1/4 the price of Lithium. Batteries were manufactured in Corona Ca.
No chinese or imported junk for me. Hope this helps

Vintage465 12-30-2020 07:07 PM

I'm a pretty big fan of the Deka batteries made my Eastern Penn. They are sold at Batteries Plus Bulbs as Duracell. Batt's Plus sells a 235 AH 6v GC battery that is the same size(i guess I should say, it fits where the lower AH battery did on my rig) as the lower AH 6v's for $149.00 each. Pretty stout battery for that cost

Itinerant1 12-30-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 5574299)
I installed 4 US battery XC 250 6 volt sweeper batteries. Wound up with 560 AH at 1/4 the price of Lithium. Batteries were manufactured in Corona Ca.
No chinese or imported junk for me. Hope this helps

It's always good to make this statement " No chinese or imported junk for me", Is this just with batteries or everything you purchase in your day to day purchases?

Barbarian 12-31-2020 12:44 AM

I used the US batterie HC 275 6volts as they have the same footprint as the T105s but are slightly taller and heavier though not nearly as big as L 16s. End result was more than satisfactory , essentially 2 full days off grid with no Gen use. As to my comment regarding import and chinese Junk, Ill state it this way In my profession I sell and Install Thousands of parts including Batteries every year. I See what lasts and what fails !
Thats why im very selective about what goes on my Coach

BobinICT 12-31-2020 03:05 AM

I’ll tag along here as I’m looking at buying two to start with come spring or when a good deal pops up prior to.

hitlinks 06-03-2021 06:08 PM

Hello,
I'm looking for information... I changed our batteries about 4 weeks ago. The shop I took the motorhome to had the Deka GC15s. Since the rig has been sitting I thought it would be wise to put them on a charger. I turned my magnum inverter off as well as the battery on off switch. The charger connected to the battery bank is a Schumacher 3 stage speed charger. It charges/maintains at a rate of 2amps. I did not disconnect any of the battery cables. The inverter currently says that the batteries have a charge of 13.1v. However, the battery charger says the batteries are 86% charged and has not gone into the maintenance mode. My questions are:
1. Should the Magnum inverter/charger be on or off?
2. Should I disconnect the negative cable on my battery or is it ok to leave it connected?
3. How many volts should this battery bank have to be considered fully charged?
4. Should I leave the charger on the batteries or not? if not, what should the voltage be prior to removing the charger?
I really just want to be sure I maintain these batteries so I can get more than a couple of years of useful life out of them. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

RayandWendy 06-03-2021 06:41 PM

Why not just use your Magnum Inverter/Charger? Turn the inverter off, save a few amps. If you only have 15/20 amp shore power, set shore power setting to 5amps on the Magnum controller.

It will go from bulk to absorb to float as needed.
Later...
Ray

757driver 06-04-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitlinks (Post 5777382)
Hello,
I'm looking for information... I changed our batteries about 4 weeks ago. The shop I took the motorhome to had the Deka GC15s. Since the rig has been sitting I thought it would be wise to put them on a charger. I turned my magnum inverter off as well as the battery on off switch. The charger connected to the battery bank is a Schumacher 3 stage speed charger. It charges/maintains at a rate of 2amps. I did not disconnect any of the battery cables. The inverter currently says that the batteries have a charge of 13.1v. However, the battery charger says the batteries are 86% charged and has not gone into the maintenance mode. My questions are:
1. Should the Magnum inverter/charger be on or off?
2. Should I disconnect the negative cable on my battery or is it ok to leave it connected?
3. How many volts should this battery bank have to be considered fully charged?
4. Should I leave the charger on the batteries or not? if not, what should the voltage be prior to removing the charger?
I really just want to be sure I maintain these batteries so I can get more than a couple of years of useful life out of them. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

1. Yes, the Magnum charger should be on.

2. Leave the negative battery cable connected. If it is disconnected you will not get any charging.

3. The battery bank should be about 14.5v for at least a few hours to be close to full charge, and have completed the Bulk/Absorb/Float charge cycle. With the battery bank at rest for an hour the voltage should read 12.7v. The Magnum will look after it all automatically IF set up and programmed properly.

4. Disconnect that 2 amp charger, it is basically useless on a descent sized house battery bank.

hitlinks 06-04-2021 10:12 AM

Thanks for the help on this everyone. I think I cooked my last set of batteries due to lack of knowledge. This set will be kept healthy and give me several good years of use now that I know more about how to maintain them.

Vintage465 06-06-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitlinks (Post 5778172)
Thanks for the help on this everyone. I think I cooked my last set of batteries due to lack of knowledge. This set will be kept healthy and give me several good years of use now that I know more about how to maintain them.

I think the vast majority of us have fried up several platters of batteries. I used to get a year out two 12 volt batteries 'cause l left converter plugged in on my trailer and it just cooked and cooked and cooked. Wasn't 'til I suddenly realized that...
1. It cost me money on my utility bill to keep the coach plugged in...a lot of money.
2. While I was wasting my money on the utility bill I was getting the extra-added benefit of cooking my batteries year by year........slow learner when it comes to the obvious!
3. Life is better with my four Deka 6v's and my Samlex 4 stage controller. I'm on year four with my current set and they're doing great!

a7az 06-09-2021 09:49 AM

If you use two six volt batteries in series one of the batteries will become unbalanced over time

largo1005 06-09-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a7az (Post 5784590)
If you use two six volt batteries in series one of the batteries will become unbalanced over time

Can you explain?

followingsea 06-09-2021 12:10 PM

I like to follow the KISS principle.

Next spring I plan on getting 4 GC2 batteries from Sam's club. Used to spend a lot of time researching batteries but not anymore.

I am full time and I use electricity differently when dry camping. For example, I boil water with propane and use a French press to make coffee. Much more efficient than using electricity.

When I am hooked up to power or running the generator I will use electricity based on what is convenient rather than what is efficient.

Think of it this way. If part of the day i use 100 watts more power than other times, that is when I run my generator. Say I am charging at 800 watts then running the generator at that time is like charging at 1000 watts. 100 watts not coming out of the battery is 100 watts not needed to be put back in.

Winemaker2 06-09-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

A 6V batty is 3 cells @ 2.1V
A 12V batty is 6 cells @ 2.1V
2 - 6V battys are 6 cells @ 2.1V

I dont believe one 6V going "unbalanced" is based on any facts or is any different than eventually one or more cells of a 12V batty going bad as it nears end of life.
The golf cart industry uses different configurations of 6V, 8V and 12V battys in series / parallel very successfully.
Many will say 6V in series is actually better than 12V in parallel to accomp,is the same AH.

Kid Gloves 06-09-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Which one?

I’ve had 8, 6V L16’s wired in series to create a 48V battery for the past 9 years as a solar energy storage system on my home. None are unbalanced. In fact, I’m working with a company that specializes in off-grid solar energy storage solutions on a bank that will consist of 24, 2V cells wired in series.

How do you think 12V, 24V and 48V batteries are made? If you’re shopping for a true deep cycle lead acid battery, buy 6V for an RV.