iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Boondocking (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/)
-   -   Lets talk about GC2 6V (golf cart) battery's (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/lets-talk-about-gc2-6v-golf-cart-batterys-519459.html)

Vintage465 06-06-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitlinks (Post 5778172)
Thanks for the help on this everyone. I think I cooked my last set of batteries due to lack of knowledge. This set will be kept healthy and give me several good years of use now that I know more about how to maintain them.

I think the vast majority of us have fried up several platters of batteries. I used to get a year out two 12 volt batteries 'cause l left converter plugged in on my trailer and it just cooked and cooked and cooked. Wasn't 'til I suddenly realized that...
1. It cost me money on my utility bill to keep the coach plugged in...a lot of money.
2. While I was wasting my money on the utility bill I was getting the extra-added benefit of cooking my batteries year by year........slow learner when it comes to the obvious!
3. Life is better with my four Deka 6v's and my Samlex 4 stage controller. I'm on year four with my current set and they're doing great!

a7az 06-09-2021 09:49 AM

If you use two six volt batteries in series one of the batteries will become unbalanced over time

largo1005 06-09-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a7az (Post 5784590)
If you use two six volt batteries in series one of the batteries will become unbalanced over time

Can you explain?

followingsea 06-09-2021 12:10 PM

I like to follow the KISS principle.

Next spring I plan on getting 4 GC2 batteries from Sam's club. Used to spend a lot of time researching batteries but not anymore.

I am full time and I use electricity differently when dry camping. For example, I boil water with propane and use a French press to make coffee. Much more efficient than using electricity.

When I am hooked up to power or running the generator I will use electricity based on what is convenient rather than what is efficient.

Think of it this way. If part of the day i use 100 watts more power than other times, that is when I run my generator. Say I am charging at 800 watts then running the generator at that time is like charging at 1000 watts. 100 watts not coming out of the battery is 100 watts not needed to be put back in.

Winemaker2 06-09-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

A 6V batty is 3 cells @ 2.1V
A 12V batty is 6 cells @ 2.1V
2 - 6V battys are 6 cells @ 2.1V

I dont believe one 6V going "unbalanced" is based on any facts or is any different than eventually one or more cells of a 12V batty going bad as it nears end of life.
The golf cart industry uses different configurations of 6V, 8V and 12V battys in series / parallel very successfully.
Many will say 6V in series is actually better than 12V in parallel to accomp,is the same AH.

Kid Gloves 06-09-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Which one?

I’ve had 8, 6V L16’s wired in series to create a 48V battery for the past 9 years as a solar energy storage system on my home. None are unbalanced. In fact, I’m working with a company that specializes in off-grid solar energy storage solutions on a bank that will consist of 24, 2V cells wired in series.

How do you think 12V, 24V and 48V batteries are made? If you’re shopping for a true deep cycle lead acid battery, buy 6V for an RV.