iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Going Green (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Inexpensive Chinese Lithium battery worth trying or stick with Battleborn? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/inexpensive-chinese-lithium-battery-worth-trying-or-stick-with-battleborn-522484.html)

wanderso 01-23-2021 10:29 PM

Inexpensive Chinese Lithium battery worth trying or stick with Battleborn?

1 Attachment(s)
Amazon sells an off brand lithium deep cycle battery. $539 for 100AH; $899 for 200AH; $1299 for 300AH. A Battleborn is $899 for 100AH. There is no question that the Battleborn is a better built battery, but one can get twice the amp hours for the same price. Both offer a 10 year warranty. Double the capacity makes it very tempting to go with the off brand.

In my case I will be replacing the charge controller in my setup to one that is lithium compatible, and taking care to do a DC to DC charger if my Alternator canít handle the load. If off grid I also have a generator on board, but prefer less noise. We go off grid rarely as most site have shore power. (wife preference, medical equipment reasons). Having more battery bank could well change that. Even with only 100AH, I can get more real usage with lithium than what I can with one lead acid battery in my current setup.

My battery is in the step well. Unfortunately due to a suspension component entering the step well battery box (leaf spring bracket), I canít fit two 100 ah deep cycle batteries in it nor this less expensive battery. I either keep to 100AH or move the battery bank to an outside compartment. I would miss the lost storage in a 24 foot RV.

Being on a limited budget and with these realities, which would you choose? Anyone have experience with off brand lithium like these?

Attachment 315567

Freqz 01-24-2021 04:58 AM

I donít have experience with those exactly...but I do have 10kw-hr of odd ball battery packs in my TT. But those batteries only cost me $1400 shipped so it was deal of the decade kind of deal :D

Thereís more to this than just plugging them in and setting parameters on your chargeró how is protection handled? How are the cells balanced? This is where Battleborn shines: thatís all handled well with high quality components vs. commodity grade electronics in commodity grade batteries. Iíd certainly lend more weight to the battleborn warranty as well. Lithium is dangerous if you mistreat it...

On a 100 amp hour bank, Iím not sure the savings are worth it. On a much, much larger bank Iíd be buying Calb 100 amp hour cells and handling the balancing and protection myself but Iím odd in that regard.

bigchick 01-24-2021 06:52 AM

i read a post once where somebody installed some off brand lithium batteries and then was not able to start his on board generator. the batteries did not provide enough burst capacity to start the generator. i don't know if this would apply to you but you might want to double check it since you mentioned an on board generator.

wanderso 01-24-2021 08:54 AM

Good point on the generator. Another item to investigate.

twinboat 01-24-2021 09:44 AM

You can reconfigure the generator to start from the chassis battery. Just make sure its charged when the generator is running.

Jacjetlag 01-24-2021 09:57 AM

Sounds like the stairwell is ruled out.

LiFePo's (no venting of gas) can hide under the bed but it takes a new level of trust in cheap batteries from China.

Isaac-1 01-24-2021 04:34 PM

You may want to check out this guys youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMIs0PXrBw he has a lot of good info out there, and tests various cheap import lithium batteries, some seam fairly good, some are junk. He also has information on brand name batteries like Battleborn

BCam 01-24-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-1 (Post 5608560)
You may want to check out this guys youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMIs0PXrBw he has a lot of good info out there, and tests various cheap import lithium batteries, some seam fairly good, some are junk. He also has information on brand name batteries like Battleborn

A lot of the bad and good things don't show up until he does a tear-down, which is one of the things I like about his reviews.

JDaveB 01-24-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5608012)
You can reconfigure the generator to start from the chassis battery. Just make sure its charged when the generator is running.

Twinboat are there significant downsides to reconfiguring to use the chassis battery (8D used to start my Cummins ISL) to start the generator (Onan 8Kw diesel)?

Seems like a good idea in general

Dave

wanderso 01-24-2021 09:05 PM

Thanks. I was at the RV today for the monthly run of the generator and found that it is actually wired to the chassis battery for starting. We've just had this particular RV for just over a year. I had been typically turning on the house battery but found it isn't needed for starting the generator.

wanderso 01-24-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freqz (Post 5607699)
I donít have experience with those exactly...but I do have 10kw-hr of odd ball battery packs in my TT. But those batteries only cost me $1400 shipped so it was deal of the decade kind of deal :D

Thereís more to this than just plugging them in and setting parameters on your chargeró how is protection handled? How are the cells balanced? This is where Battleborn shines: thatís all handled well with high quality components vs. commodity grade electronics in commodity grade batteries. Iíd certainly lend more weight to the battleborn warranty as well. Lithium is dangerous if you mistreat it...

On a 100 amp hour bank, Iím not sure the savings are worth it. On a much, much larger bank Iíd be buying Calb 100 amp hour cells and handling the balancing and protection myself but Iím odd in that regard.

Great feedback. I agree in err to safety and expect that the less expensive battery will have some shortcuts in that regard. A benefit of having an external BMS in my situation would allow me to fit more AH in the step well.

wanderso 01-24-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-1 (Post 5608560)

Thank you for this. I did remember watching a couple of his videos a long time back and had lost the link. I'll take a peek again.

Phil G. 01-24-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderso (Post 5607612)
Amazon sells an off brand lithium deep cycle battery. $539 for 100AH; $899 for 200AH; $1299 for 300AH. A Battleborn is $899 for 100AH. There is no question that the Battleborn is a better built battery, but one can get twice the amp hours for the same price. Both offer a 10 year warranty. Double the capacity makes it very tempting to go with the off brand.

In my case I will be replacing the charge controller in my setup to one that is lithium compatible, and taking care to do a DC to DC charger if my Alternator can’t handle the load. If off grid I also have a generator on board, but prefer less noise. We go off grid rarely as most site have shore power. (wife preference, medical equipment reasons). Having more battery bank could well change that. Even with only 100AH, I can get more real usage with lithium than what I can with one lead acid battery in my current setup.

My battery is in the step well. Unfortunately due to a suspension component entering the step well battery box (leaf spring bracket), I can’t fit two 100 ah deep cycle batteries in it nor this less expensive battery. I either keep to 100AH or move the battery bank to an outside compartment. I would miss the lost storage in a 24 foot RV.

Being on a limited budget and with these realities, which would you choose? Anyone have experience with off brand lithium like these?

Attachment 315567

Here's a possible solution for you - a high quality (lifetime warranty) lithium battery - in Group 31 size so one will easily fit under your step ... and will provide 200AH of capacity!:
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com...on-battery.php

wanderso 01-28-2021 10:24 PM

Inexpensive Chins Lithium battery worth trying or stick with Battleborn?

Thank you all for the thoughtful posts. I decided to go one last time with a single flooded lead acid battery (Trojan SC 225) for now while I take time to upgrade the converter, wiring, DC to DC charger, etc. in prep for lithium. Itís clear that Iím going to need to do some remodeling for an alternative battery location and this will give me some time to do so. The current wiring setup is using longer runs of AWG4 that probably should be redone with heavier gauge as I see some voltage drops.