iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Plastic Pavers (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/plastic-pavers-522578.html)

madisonjon 01-24-2021 07:15 PM

Plastic Pavers

Anyone have experience with plastic pavers? We park our RV on the grass at our house. It’s caused some damage to the grass from the wheels of our truck. Plus, I have a 2wd truck and want to minimize my chances of getting stuck in the grass. I would prefer to keep our grass on the side of the house which is why I’m looking at these.

Truegrid: https://www.truegridpaver.com/

There are others as well and I’m open to any suggestions.

Shutterbug57 01-25-2021 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisonjon (Post 5608793)
Anyone have experience with plastic pavers? We park our RV on the grass at our house. Itís caused some damage to the grass from the wheels of our truck. Plus, I have a 2wd truck and want to minimize my chances of getting stuck in the grass. I would prefer to keep our grass on the side of the house which is why Iím looking at these.

Truegrid: https://www.truegridpaver.com/

There are others as well and Iím open to any suggestions.

Just curious how you mow the side of the house.

Spdracr39 01-25-2021 04:42 AM

If installed properly they should not interfere with mowing. I looked at these but they are pretty expensive and I didn't trust them to stay flush in the long haul. My neighbor had something similar and they created a muddy mess and didn't really solve the issue.

WeRetired 01-25-2021 08:08 AM

I worked golf courses for my career, we tried these as golf carts will cut every corner possible and make a muddy mess. They worked for a very short time and as stated above the mud came back. We abandoned the idea. The only thing that worked was curbing. I know that wonít work for you, if you want grass, maybe look into artificial with a really good base underneath. Good Luck.

HopsBrewster 01-25-2021 08:48 AM

When using pavers of any type you need to prepare a solid base for them so that they don't sink into soft soil. After all, it is simply a different form of driveway you're building and your vehicle and/or trailer can be quite heavy. Like any other construction, a good foundation is necessary.

madisonjon 01-25-2021 09:39 AM

This is all good feedback. I may just need to modify my expectations and use concrete.

Vato 01-25-2021 01:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I use these pavers for nearly 8 years in my yard for the RV access.

10" of base, plastic pavers and 1" sand then sod.

The only problem I have started recently

Worked very well for years. Starting last year while backing out and downhill, my front tire locks up and peels the sod right off the pavers in about 6' sections.

My issue is I'm on a decline and during the winter, a portion of the sod is always shaded and doesn't really dry leaving the sod wet.

I'm sure if the area in question was able to dry out and I was level (or near level) I'd have no problems

You can see in the pics the shaded area that stays wet.

Also the install recommendations notes to use sod grown in sandy soil which I couldn't find local so I had to use a regular soil sod

And of course your base and drainage is very important

Due to the recent issues I'm considering going to a Concrete Grass Paver (small square concrete pavers with grass growing through) If I can get authorization......lol

Otherwise I love it!

glwinger 01-25-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisonjon (Post 5609414)
This is all good feedback. I may just need to modify my expectations and use concrete.

Two strips of concrete about 24 inches wide would do the job. You will need a good solid base and at least 6 inches of reinforced concrete.

geordi 01-25-2021 06:28 PM

Those look interesting, thanks for linking that... Now I'm getting ideas for a future project and hadn't thought about things that these provide a solution for.

For the people who had problems using these professionally.... Did anyone try the OTHER design where they are filled with rocks and sitting on a base of bigger rock? Any issues with that? I'm not looking for grass covering for my project.

WeRetired 01-26-2021 07:33 AM

ďFor the people who had problems using these professionally.... Did anyone try the OTHER design where they are filled with rocks and sitting on a base of bigger rock? Any issues with that? I'm not looking for grass covering for my project.[/QUOTE]Ē

On golf courses, I worked at the high end private clubs that were very meticulous of conditions and presentation. So very little tolerance of something out of place or not up to standard. The smaller rocks would not stay in place, and were hell on mowers. We tried everything you could imagine and at the end of the day the only fix was a physical barrier to control cart and maintenance traffic, curbing. Aesthetics had a lot to do with the solution. And properly installed rolled curbing got the job done. A little off topic from OPís question, just sharing experiences.

geordi 01-26-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeRetired (Post 5610618)

On golf courses, I worked at the high end private clubs that were very meticulous of conditions and presentation. So very little tolerance of something out of place or not up to standard. The smaller rocks would not stay in place, and were hell on mowers. We tried everything you could imagine and at the end of the day the only fix was a physical barrier to control cart and maintenance traffic, curbing. Aesthetics had a lot to do with the solution. And properly installed rolled curbing got the job done. A little off topic from OPís question, just sharing experiences.

I appreciate the perspective - and groundskeepers / golf courses certainly would range toward the aesthetic-is-most-important end of the spectrum. I'm thinking of an industrial yard kind of use where cost and possibly drainage requirements are going to be more important than appearance beyond "looks like a nice yard" and mowing hopefully will not be needed - no grass at all.