iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Generator charging upgrade??? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/generator-charging-upgrade-522636.html)

paul65k 02-05-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freqz (Post 5624365)
It my case, it would be a 240V inverter so you need the auto transformer to provide split phase 120V. (I donít necessarily need split phase but I do need a neutral)

Iím building this around a 8k Quattro to support a mini split and induction cooktopó 6kVA seems a little light for my use. Your way gets more charging current and cost a bit less. Several ways to skin this particular cat!

Thanks!

I have a MS planned as well....as a matter of fact I already have the 240V subpanel installed and circuit run to the outdoor unit proposed location..... just trying to figure out the interior distribution plan, front and rear!

I can already run both rooftop units off the grid but calculating that the mini-split will use 40 - 70% less amps, depending on how we end up!:thumb:

Freqz 02-05-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul65k (Post 5624400)
Thanks!

I have a MS planned as well....as a matter of fact I already have the 240V subpanel installed and circuit run to the outdoor unit proposed location..... just trying to figure out the interior distribution plan, front and rear!

I can already run both rooftop units off the grid but calculating that the mini-split will use 40 - 70% less amps, depending on how we end up!:thumb:

Yeah, Victron shows ~2200W for my 15kBTU which is about what a 24kBTU mini split should take. Sheesh.

Iím still in the spitballing phase...this was much, much less complicated (and much cheaper!) for my 30A trailer [emoji849]. But itís also half the fun, I guess!

v8dave 02-10-2021 12:11 PM

Get a manual/diagram for your installed generator and investigate the capabilities of the generator itself. I'll bet it already has split 240 Volt dual circuit capability but has been configured to only supply a single circuit at 120 Volts.

If it seems capable, check with a full line service center (i.e. Freight Liner service center or equivalent that has electricians on staff) to see if they know how to do this.

Best Regards,

paul65k 02-10-2021 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by v8dave (Post 5630764)
Get a manual/diagram for your installed generator and investigate the capabilities of the generator itself. I'll bet it already has split 240 Volt dual circuit capability but has been configured to only supply a single circuit at 120 Volts.

If it seems capable, check with a full line service center (i.e. Freight Liner service center or equivalent that has electricians on staff) to see if they know how to do this.

Best Regards,

So the QD 7500 is only capable of single-phase as the windings apparently can not support split-phase output. The windings are not capable of developing split-phase hence the need for the autotransformer:banghead:

In addition to this spec sheet, it was confirmed to me by Onan.

paul65k 05-24-2021 10:58 PM

Thought I would update this thread...........

I have the Autotransformer in my possession and plan to do the install next week. It looks pretty straightforward; I will intercept the input from the generator prior to reaching the transfer switch. The way it will be wired, the (2)v120V lines from the generator (sams phase) will feed into the Autotransformer on L1 which will then provide (2) lines out (L1, L2) which will now be 180* out of phase just like the 50A shore power input.....only difference will be that each line will only have 3600W (30A) each vs. the 6000W (50A) with a shore power connection.

Why is this important:confused:

Because right now when I run the generator L1 (1/2 the panel) is fed via pass-through and L2 (other 1/2) is fed by the 2nd inverter from the batteries while the 1st inverter is charging the batteries.......this of course is not the case with a 50A shore power connection because both L1 and L2 are 180* out of phase and each line passes straight through as well as BOTH are charging the batteries with a total output of 280A (@12V) which gets the batteries charged twice as fast ;)

I will have to do a little power management if I need to run the generator AND run both AC units at the same time which can cause the breaker at the genny to trip, but in our system, we can set the available amps to 30 or any number actually, and the Inverter/chargers will manage the loads based on that without putting excess draw on the genny :)

Is that as clear as mud:laugh:

paul65k 08-27-2021 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So auto transformer is in place and did in fact allow both battery chargers to work as well as allowing both legs of the electrical system to now work when generator is running.

In the photo please note that the charging is now at 129A and this is @24V so the equivalent of almost 260A @12V. Getting ready to add 2 more batteries so going from 840 Ah to 1050Ah of storage, this makes the faster charging even more critical for the times when our 1600W of solar may not be able to keep up[emoji41]

A very worthwhile $600 investment[emoji6]Attachment 341145