iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Screwing through the roof (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/screwing-through-the-roof-524994.html)

jeflen 02-14-2021 07:49 PM

Screwing through the roof

I am about to hang a ceiling treatment in my 2005 fd4qs thatís a little heavy. I want to run screws through the roof to the interior to hang it. I know about sealing everything with Dicore. Has anyone used this method of attachment. Suggestions are very welcome

Jeflen

Alpine06 02-14-2021 07:57 PM

I have not ... but I would think that it would be good to catch a frame member. Maybe an aluminum plate with 4 screws in the corners is an idea. Also use an urethan sealant under any surface I.e. the plate bold heads and washers and like you said Dicore over everything.
Good luck
Ps: on some roofs you can see the structure if the angle of the light is just right. I know I can on mine

Brianna 02-15-2021 03:38 AM

Good points, alpine6. One has to also be aware of ducts and wiring of course.

How much weight are we talking about and how large is your treatment?

Do you have example pics of what you are talking about?

jeflen 02-15-2021 06:40 AM

Through the roof

Talking of 85" long and 38" wide. Haven't built it yet but most likely around 4 to 5 lbs. The thin wood 1/8" in the ceiling I don't believe will hold it safely. I will provide pics when done

Jeflen

paul65k 02-15-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeflen (Post 5636723)
Talking of 85" long and 38" wide. Haven't built it yet but most likely around 4 to 5 lbs. The thin wood 1/8" in the ceiling I don't believe will hold it safely. I will provide pics when done

Jeflen

Since your addition is only around 4-5lbs I would think you could securely fasten it to the ceiling without piercing the roof by attaching directly to the rib supports in the roof structure.:thumb:

arcaguy 02-15-2021 08:35 AM

For the amount of weight you are talking about "molly" type fasteners in 1/8 plywood would be more than strong enough to support 4-5 lbs even if you only used one. Just watch the grip range. For the length you're talking about I'm sure you'll be using at least 2, likely more. Good luck.

Brianna 02-15-2021 08:42 AM

I agree with paul.

However, if the total weight is really only 5lbs and your thing is 7ft long, and you attach it to the ceiling every 12" or so, each screw only needs to support about 5oz.

Is this like an indirect lighting valance?

Old Scout 02-15-2021 08:51 AM

...tend to agree--you aren't adding that much weight and it will be spread out...it will be challenging to find the aluminum roof struts from below....the ceiling is a bonded sandwich structure so I think some type of expanding wall-board fastener would work fine.....actually, the 1/8" plywood would hold quite a bit of weight but the issue is easily stripping out the wood if you over tighten a screw...

Kid Gloves 02-15-2021 09:15 AM

Iíd recommend a toggle bolt fastener as well. Attack it from the inside, donít drill through the roof.

Alpine06 02-15-2021 09:25 AM

Oh wow I thought you asked because you need to hang some serious weight up there.
I totally agree with the above recommendations do not drill trough the roof that would be overkill.

okcnewbie 02-15-2021 09:25 AM

For 5 pounds don't go through the roof.
For 5 pounds you could go with the good velcroe and a few screws for good measure. The collapsing screws or anchors might not even be needed.

ArtJoyce 02-15-2021 10:23 AM

Find the rafters and screw into them from inside.

I would not add holes from the outside. After time dicor fails, that is why you inspect you roof at least once a year. When it fails you could have a slight drip that from inside you would not see, but would be enough to rot the roof and/or ceiling underlayment or even the rafters if they are wood.

Kid Gloves 02-15-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcnewbie (Post 5636970)
For 5 pounds don't go through the roof.
For 5 pounds you could go with the good velcroe and a few screws for good measure. The collapsing screws or anchors might not even be needed.

The Velcro bond may indeed support the weight. I would not rely on the adhesive to do the same. Over time, in a dynamic environment such as a moving vehicle that may also be subject to temperature extremes, I would expect the adhesive to fail on one surface or the other. For securing an overhead object, I would recommend a redundant safety mechanism, which would most likely eliminate the need for Velcro.

jeflen 02-15-2021 11:23 AM

To all
Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions each
have great merit. After I build it I will then weight it. If it turns out to more than 5 lbs I will be back to the knowledge pool. By the way talk about ceiling struts I have tried to fine them with no success thatís why I was thinking him drilling through the roof.

Jeflen