iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   Can you increase payload? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/can-you-increase-payload-526181.html)

GBW0926 02-24-2021 12:05 PM

Can you increase payload?

Can you increase the payload of your truck by adding airbags, coils, tires?

nicky8668 02-24-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBW0926 (Post 5649016)

This has been discussed million times. What’s on your door jamb is your payload. Nothing can change it. What you mentioned can enhance your ride and towing experience, but it doesn’t boost your payload.

Solo_RV_Guy 02-24-2021 12:19 PM

No.

kdauto 02-24-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBW0926 (Post 5649016)

Technically, yes, legally, no. If you have a F250, then swap out rear suspension, tires and whatever else may be different from an F350 then you'll have physically changed payload, as long as ALL other items (frame, engine and trans combo etc)are the same.

Legally, the sticker is the sticker and that might be changeable in some areas with expensive inspections an such.

If you are talking about almost any 1/2 ton, you're wasting your time. Rear axle is your weakest link, followed by tires, brakes and suspension. It's not worth trying to get 3/4 ton capability from a 1/2 ton.

Old-Biscuit 02-24-2021 12:49 PM

You can register truck for a Higher GVW then what is on the Mfg Data Sticker/Certification Label

You can add all the airbags, springs/coils, install higher load rated tires but the Rear Axle is going to be your MAX Limit regardless of other modifications
See what your trucks RAWR is....Data/Certification/Tire Load Stickers and THAT is what you can load truck up to

TXiceman 02-24-2021 01:07 PM

Air springs are a crutch to prop up the rear of the truck. You are limited by the rear axle rating and the tire ratings on the truck.

Ken

Billett Bee 02-24-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5649069)
You can register truck for a Higher GVW then what is on the Mfg Data Sticker/Certification Label

You can add all the airbags, springs/coils, install higher load rated tires but the Rear Axle is going to be your MAX Limit regardless of other modifications
See what your trucks RAWR is....Data/Certification/Tire Load Stickers and THAT is what you can load truck up to

I'm WITH old biscuit on this. My residency is in SD, and they will adjust my gvwr, wich obviously means more pl. I actually plan on doing this when i get my luxe 48fb. I'll be good on all axles and gcwr but my gvw will probably come in around 14,500, 500lbs over my gvwr. When i talked to the sd registers office, they said yes we can change your Gvwr and give you a higher sticker weight. They instructed me to load up my new rv with all my goodies, go to cat scale and weigh truck axles with trailer attached. Mail them my cat ticket and they would issue me a new sticker and change my paperwork to show gvwr of what both axles weighed in at. That would take me up to a class 4 vehicle wich is only $7.00 more on my tags. They then said I would need to let my insurance company know so they can also change it and bill me, a higher rate obviously. Called my insurance and the reaffirmed this. I honestly don't care about 500lbs but my wife likes to keep everything legal and legit. I'm not worried in the least if my vehicle can handle 14.5k or 15k or combined axle weight of 15,750. The vehicle and its components are rated for 43. Plus Im an old truck driver, so just a tad bit of experience to boot.

Billett Bee 02-24-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5649069)

:thumb:!!!

IvoryHemi 02-24-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicky8668 (Post 5649019)
Whatís on your door jamb is your payload. Nothing can change it.

Thatís not entirely accurate. The doorjam stickers are an estimate of vehicle payload. GVWR is the hard number that cannot be changed.

The only way to know the vehicles true payload is to use a certified weight scale with a full tank of gas and subtract that from GVWR.

Billett Bee 02-24-2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvoryHemi (Post 5649091)
Thatís not entirely accurate. The doorjam stickers are an estimate of vehicle payload. GVWR is the hard number that cannot be changed.

The only way to know the vehicles true payload is to use a certified weight scale with a full tank of gas and subtract that from GVWR.

In some states/ areas, gvwr can to be changed through a process that I laid out a few posts prior

swampdog2 02-24-2021 01:32 PM

So can someone tell me why two different motor homes both with the Freightliner XC chassis one with a cat 3126 275 hp and the other with a cummins 5.9 275 hp have 2 different towing weights ? the cat was 10,000 and the cummins 5000, I owned them both one was H/R endeaver the other Allegro Bus .The H/R had the 10,000 tow rating

Cumminsfan 02-24-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampdog2 (Post 5649113)
So can someone tell me why two different motor homes both with the Freightliner XC chassis one with a cat 3126 275 hp and the other with a cummins 5.9 275 hp have 2 different towing weights ? the cat was 10,000 and the cummins 5000, I owned them both one was H/R endeaver the other Allegro Bus .The H/R had the 10,000 tow rating

Assuming they both had the same transmission then I would say it was a cooling issue with the 5.9.

Billett Bee 02-24-2021 02:03 PM

Rear end gear or tranny

Xmcdog 02-24-2021 02:12 PM

No!
I agree with much of the above but the limiting factors also include the body and frame. :facepalm:It would be much cheaper to buy a one ton or whatever is required.:thumb:

You can't put a gallon into a quart can. :banghead: