iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   White "Food Grade" Water Hose (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/white-food-grade-water-hose-526610.html)

RoadEyePie 02-27-2021 03:50 PM

White "Food Grade" Water Hose

Do you only use those "White Food Grade" water hoses? I've been drinking out of the yard hose since I was probably 3 and I ain't dead yet and I'm 6'3" so it didn't stunt my growth. Does it really make any difference if you just use any old hose as long as you periodically clean the system with the bleach or peroxide treatment?

Spdracr39 02-27-2021 03:53 PM

Regular hoses can taint the flavor of the water when they are out in the sun. "Drinking water" rated hoses don't do that. If you have a filter system it may not be a factor. Blue or White hoses help keep you from confusing it with the Black tank flush hose also. I buy based on flexibility more than color.

Dutch Star Don 02-27-2021 03:57 PM

When we were kids, many of us drank out of the garden hose.....but.....I always ran the hose for a few minutes to get nice cool water.

With an RV, if you don't get a drinking water hose, you'll get smelly, bad tasting water when it sits in the sun while waiting to be used, unless you're willing to let it run until fresh water appears.

A great hose that many are now using is the Zero G water hose. There is a drinking water version and non potable version They're available at Lowes and on Amazon in 25' and 50' lengths.

https://www.amazon.com/zero-G-4001-5...s%2C237&sr=8-8

RoadEyePie 02-27-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spdracr39 (Post 5653066)
Regular hoses can taint the flavor of the water when they are out in the sun. "Drinking water" rated hoses don't do that. If you have a filter system it may not be a factor. Blue or White hoses help keep you from confusing it with the Black tank flush hose also. I buy based on flexibility more than color.

Are you saying that it's the color that prevents the sun from causing the foul taste or is the material in these hoses different from other hoses?

Spdracr39 02-27-2021 04:03 PM

The liner in the rated hoses is different material. The color is just for easy identification.

Roy-c 02-27-2021 05:00 PM

We replace our white hose each year when we break out the RV in the Spring. I paint the ends of the old hose and either use it at the house or on the workboats. That way I don't need to be concerned about the hose sitting dormant all Winter. Overkill ? Maybe, but cheap insurance.

GOLDandGREY 02-27-2021 05:34 PM

I found a stainless steel food grade hose that is much easier to deal with than the white ones, rolls up much tighter and weighs less.

Winemaker2 02-27-2021 06:24 PM

Zero G hoses are drinking water rated. Light and seem durable. I think they carry a 3 yr warranty.
My only complaint is alum fittings. I use Teflon tape and brass quick connects on all hoses, nozzles, connections.

Kenny Loney 02-27-2021 06:31 PM

I used to think and drink out of a garden hose. But now with all the new chemicals, who knows what is in the plastics now. More flexible, UV protectants or ?? Now I will use a white hose, food or drinking water grade.

Ken

Old-Biscuit 02-27-2021 10:06 PM

We run off fresh water tank/pump
Hose is only for refilling and then gets drained/stowed

So hose doesn't much matter

If using City Water connection and hose stays connected as least use one that is for 'potable' water vs standard garden hose
Laying outside all day/night can affect the water flowing thru it

Blazing zipp 02-27-2021 11:18 PM

Those white hoses have a mind of their own when cold. I've seen my bride laying in top of one, on top of the camp table, wrestling like a lion taking down a food source, just to roll it up enough to get in the basement of the rig.
To help out my bride, I bought her a pretty blue zero hose that coils up like magic. Anything I can do to help her with her chores around the camp site.

One thing I started doing is, at the end of the year, I blow out the hose with compressed air to avoid mold and other stuff.

trapper2020 02-28-2021 06:59 AM

I went to zero g hose. They can be a pain in that they will kink coming out of water connection but other than that they are great for storage and low weight. I only wish I could find one that is 10 feet long. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey

sbleiweiss 02-28-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper2020 (Post 5653630)
I went to zero g hose. They can be a pain in that they will kink coming out of water connection but other than that they are great for storage and low weight. I only wish I could find one that is 10 feet long. Safe travels
Enjoy the journey

Flexzilla hoses are great too, and they do come in 10 foot lengths. I carry three 10 footers and combine as needed. And as the name suggests they stay supple regardless of temperature.

EdInArk 02-28-2021 08:29 AM

I used to drink out of garden hoses too, and I could taste it. While it's true that I lived through the experience I don't want to taste it in my coffee :)

We use a couple of white hoses -- we've got the 50' one on now, and it was barely long enough.

I drain them as much as I reasonably can, roll them up, then screen the ends together for storage. They are a pain in the rear to roll up when cold.

The zero g is much easier to deal with, but I'd read here that they don't hold up well, If they do have a 3-year warranty, though, I may give one a try next time.