iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Best outdoor temp to check tire pressure (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/best-outdoor-temp-to-check-tire-pressure-532940.html)

Mightymark 04-16-2021 08:32 AM

Best outdoor temp to check tire pressure

2018 Dutch Star
Just wondering what's the best outdoor temperature to base my tire pressure on.
It varies so much in different temperatures so what would be a good baseline.

RKins 04-16-2021 09:44 AM

I don't know if what you're asking is possible to answer because of the climate changes from place to place. They say to check them before the sun hits them but frankly I just look at my TPMS and can check pressures from the drivers seat. If I need to add air, I try to do it while it's cool in the morning. I use the TPMS display as my tire gauge, that way all the tires are measured with the same tool that it's reported on.

Nwcid 04-16-2021 09:47 AM

The average ambient temperature wherever you are, or where you plan on driving.

If I were to say 80, but it is spring or fall in the PNW you would never be able to test that. If I were to say 60 and you are in Phoenix in the summer you would never be able to test that.

The idea is proper inflation at the "cold" or not driving temperature. This allows for proper increase in pressure while driving.

CamJam1 04-16-2021 09:43 PM

I think the idea of setting pressures cold is so that you're never running below the manufacturer's recommended pressure at any time. Personally, I set mine five psi over the recommended pressure on the tire manufacturer's chart, so if I'm a a few pounds under in the morning (as read on my TPMS) I don't worry about it, as I'm almost always at or over what's recommended and pressures will rise as soon as I start driving.

davendeb 04-16-2021 09:49 PM

Temp doesn't matter. Just check pressure before you warm them up driving.

Arch Hoagland 04-16-2021 10:02 PM

I set my pressure twice a year.

In June I wait for a 90 degree day and set my pressures. Then in the fall about October when it's about 50 degrees I'll set them again.

We've travelled on days where we left home at 110 degrees and ended the day at 60 degrees.

In the winter we've gone from 65 degrees to 25 degrees.

I check my pressure every morning but don't adjust it, I just look for one tire way out of range with the others.

TampaDave 04-17-2021 05:39 AM

Ya know it's a good question. In the East it's not really an issue, for me anyway. But out west when you first get up it might be 40 degrees out, couple hours later it'll be 60, few hours after that it'll be 80. Pump your tires up too early in the morning, feels like you're riding on rocks in the afternoon. When out West, I'm coming around to the idea of setting a reasonable baseline, say at 8 or 9 in the morning when it's not freezing but the sun isn't beating down on the tires either. And just check it once a week or so after that.

MSHappyCampers 04-17-2021 09:45 AM

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! :dance:

I set my tire pressure in the morning, regardless of where we are or what the outside temp is.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Arch Hoagland 04-17-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 5716275)
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! :dance:

I set my tire pressure in the morning, regardless of where we are or what the outside temp is.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Do you actually let air out or add air in everyday?

twinboat 04-17-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland (Post 5716355)
Do you actually let air out or add air in everyday?

Many people do.

I'v seen RVers messing with there air pressure the day of departure, after a short stay.

I, like you, check them twice a year. I also spray the valves with soppy water after checking them.

I think half the blow outs are from leaky valve cores after checking them.

Arch Hoagland 04-17-2021 11:54 AM

twinboat said:

"I think half the blow outs are from leaky valve cores after checking them."

I agree...have had a couple incidents where my valve stem leaked after filling or letting air out.

So the less I mess with them the better.

Ted Lambert 04-17-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davendeb (Post 5715865)
Temp doesn't matter. Just check pressure before you warm them up driving.

Absolutely correct!:thumb::thumb:

hartlenb 04-17-2021 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You need to measure the tires when they are at ambient temperature. Then you can adjust for that temperature being above or below 65F. I saved this table from another post here on iRV2

RKins 04-17-2021 05:24 PM

As I mentioned earlier, get a TPMS system and use that to tell you the tire pressure situation at any time. I have read where some people check their tire pressure manually before they depart....that is ok if you don't have a TPMS. But why don't they have a TPMS????