iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   UPDATE : My True MPG 7.3L V-8 Gas (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/update-my-true-mpg-7-3l-v-8-gas-532975.html)

jackreno 04-16-2021 01:18 PM

UPDATE : My True MPG 7.3L V-8 Gas

After 2 months fixing my motorhome of the issues and installing new stuff when it was bought new in February this year I decided to learn the instrument panel settings and found things I did not know I had.

1st off most my driving in the past 2 months have been some highway and mostly around town and my average mpg was around 8.6, also the average mpg the day I bought it was 8.2 and has only slowly gone up.

Well I found out I could clear that average reading and also found out I also have exact mpg reading while driving.

So I cleared the settings and went on a drive for 30 miles on highway and about 7 miles in town and by my surprise I have been getting far better mpg than I have posted on here before.

At 60 mph cruise control set mostly flat highway no wind I am getting around 12-13 mpg on the flat areas as to Fords display on instrument panel and now my average after driving for about 7 miles in town after the highway drive I am getting 11.5 mpg

So the new Ford 7.3L gas V-8 is getting good mpg and this has me even more happy staying with the big block V-8 vs the small block V-6 in the other small Class B+.

However this is just a short run test, I will be going on a long 1000+ mile trip very soon and will let you know the true long run mpg.

I wished I had learn the settings when I 1st bought it but been busy doing other things..

:D

TXiceman 04-16-2021 03:52 PM

I have found that the in dash MPG displays are about 10% off on the high side.

Ken

wayfarer2021 04-17-2021 05:09 AM

The only real way to know your true MPG is to manually calculate it. Once you do this you will know how accurate the Ford displayed numbers are. Your 1000 mile trip will be a great time to do this. I use an app on my phone to track MPG and other expenses.

ransil 04-17-2021 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXiceman (Post 5715526)

Ken

Long term ( 6 months or more) my 2 ford vehicle are accurate, if they are reset short term the are off ( short term is under 5K miles )

f14av8r 04-17-2021 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer2021 (Post 5715965)
The only real way to know your true MPG is to manually calculate it. Once you do this you will know how accurate the Ford displayed numbers are. Your 1000 mile trip will be a great time to do this. I use an app on my phone to track MPG and other expenses.

Calculating your MPG “manually” is complicated by the fact that the generator pulls from the same tank. You can use generator hours to estimate its fuel consumption but, since you can’t know the load, and thus actual generator consumption, it’s just a guess.

I think the new vehicle computers are very accurate. They give you the exact fuel flow to the engine only, both instantaneous and over time.

atreis 04-17-2021 06:00 AM

If manually calculating, you need a significant distance to get accuracy. Calculating for a single tank fill up (for instance, knowing that you drove X miles on the last tank, and then "filled up" with some gallons, then Y miles on the next tank, and "filled up") assumes that the pump's notion of "full" is the same for every pump, which isn't the case. There's some variation in when pumps will automatically stop. Over a thousand miles or so, that will come out in the wash.

jackreno 04-17-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Ken

Yea I am thinking they may not be accurate so on my trip I am going to use the old fashion test filling up and writing down the mileage and checking at the next fill up.

Unlike my class A I sold I could see the gas gauge move and the gas gauge on the class B+ stays in place for sometime.

CharlesinGA 04-17-2021 10:43 AM

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to track the mileage for every vehicle I have. My motorhome, now sold, it even in there. There are different tabs for each vehicle. I started this in 2011 when I bought a car that was difficult to fill and get consistent numbers from.

My Winnebago View 23H motor home on a 5 cylinder Sprinter chassis, averaged 17.008 MPG over 53 refuelings and 13,261 miles for a cost of $1985.03 and a per mile cost of 14.9 cents.

The spreadsheet also allows me to keep track of WHERE the vehicle was refueled each time so I can see if a particular station's gas gives me better or worse mileage (yes, there is one that stands out) and also it gives me a record should I have any fuel issues.

Also, I generally "pack" the tank, by at least running up to the next dollar, possibly two dollars. On some gas vehicles this can cause issues, and mileage losses should it flood the carbon canister in the vent, but both of my gas vehicles have canisters that are high enough that this is not possible and I have never had a problem doing this. It helps provide consistency to the refuelings.

Charles

derekp 04-17-2021 07:21 PM

On reason why the dash can read better than your true mileage is if the computer integrates samples over time instead of distance. For example: Lets say you drive an hour at 30 MPH, and you get 12 MPG for that hour. Then you drive another hour at 60 MPH, and you get 8 MPG during that section of the trip. Averaging those based on time gives you 10 MPG (1 hour total in each sample). Even if it grabs a sample every minute, you have 60 samples in each trip segment, so still you have (60 * 8 + 60 * 12) / 120 = 10 MPG.

But in reality you drove 90 miles, using 10 gallons, which comes out to be 9 MPG. So there is your 10% difference in what the display shows.

Fiesta48 04-18-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Ken

They almost always read better than actual. If you only use the OEM mpg gauge, your kidding yourself. I also include generator usage because that is what you are putting in the tank.
I learned the correct way to drive for economy. My 35k lbs Diesel pusher gets 8.8 My C Class gets 9.8, including minor Gen usage. I get about 20-30% better than most.
55 mph, slow down uphill, speed up downhill, hold a steady foot NOT speed.

jackreno 04-28-2021 11:47 AM

Well just got back from a long trip well over 1000 miles and my average gas mpg reading on the Ford dash display reads 11.9 mpg.

Did check from fill up to fill up and read the miles driven and on that one leg of the trip it showed 11.3 mpg while the Ford display reading was 11.5 mpg on that leg of the trip, so it appears the display on dash is very close to actual miles.
[ no generator use at all on trip, no need for a A/C ]

I am very pleased with the mpg on the Ford 7.3L gas V-8, at 64 mph flat road no wind it reads 12-14 mpg, lots of extra power even in the mountains in Idaho and stayed in 6th gear almost all the time, never had to push the gas pedal beyond half.

Ford got this motor and transmission combo perfect, best I have even owned.

jackreno 04-28-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5730294)

Best I have ever owned..

Why does edit go away after a hour or so ??

wolfe10 04-28-2021 01:54 PM

Always more interested in actual miles driven (ya, needs to be close to what your GPS says) against total gallons over those 1,000+ mile trips.

Too many experiences with WOW pulling in to fill up and WOW, that is a lot less as I leave.

Optimism has its place, but not in calculating MPG.

AJMike 04-28-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

The only real way to know your true MPG is to manually calculate it. Once you do this you will know how accurate the Ford displayed numbers are.

Well, yes and no, at least IMHO.

Filling up at different stations means using different fuel pumps, and the automatic cutoff on different pumps work differently. Some pumps cut off too early, giving you the impression that you have gotten high mpg figures than are accurate, and then the next fill up is likely to show a lower figure. And neither of those figures are likely to be accurate. I believe that is even true when you don't accept the automatic cutoff as being the final word and add more fuel.

It has been my experience that computing the figure using the miles and gallons works properly only when a lot of miles and a lot of fill up are involved, and that is why I only use those figures at the end of a relatively long trip - say 2000 miles - or after a lot of fill ups, perhaps 10. Then I assume the multiple figures will average out to something fairly accurate.

FWIW I have found the mileage figure the Ford Transit 350 HD chassis gives me in my Winnebago Fuse is pretty accurate, usually no more than 0.5 - 1.0 mpg off at the most and I have come to believe it.

Unclepaul 04-28-2021 08:55 PM

Drivers tend to get better mileage when they are doing measurements. Want to be able to claim a high number.

Dval 04-29-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unclepaul (Post 5730906)
Drivers tend to get better mileage when they are doing measurements. Want to be able to claim a high number.

I don't seem to get what other people report for mpg ? If I can over 9mpg with mine I will be happy .

R.Wold 04-29-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

What app do you use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5730294)
Well just got back from a long trip well over 1000 miles and my average gas mpg reading on the Ford dash display reads 11.9 mpg.

Did check from fill up to fill up and read the miles driven and on that one leg of the trip it showed 11.3 mpg while the Ford display reading was 11.5 mpg on that leg of the trip, so it appears the display on dash is very close to actual miles.
[ no generator use at all on trip, no need for a A/C ]

I am very pleased with the mpg on the Ford 7.3L gas V-8, at 64 mph flat road no wind it reads 12-14 mpg, lots of extra power even in the mountains in Idaho and stayed in 6th gear almost all the time, never had to push the gas pedal beyond half.

Does it have a +/- rocker switch on the shifter to lock out higher gears? I have it on my ‘17 F-250 - I believe they call it “select shift”. It’s designed for use while shifting in “M” (manual) mode, but also works for locking out higher gears in D. Very handy for eliminating all the hunting between overdrive and lower gears while climbing grades etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5730441)
Best I have ever owned..

Company policy....

Quote:

I think this is true for me - when checking MPG I tend to keep my foot out of it a bit and drive more conservatively.

jackreno 04-29-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.Wold (Post 5731425)
What app do you use?

Does it have a +/- rocker switch on the shifter to lock out higher gears? I have it on my ‘17 F-250 - I believe they call it “select shift”. It’s designed for use while shifting in “M” (manual) mode, but also works for locking out higher gears in D. Very handy for eliminating all the hunting between overdrive and lower gears while climbing grades etc.

I think this is true for me - when checking MPG I tend to keep my foot out of it a bit and drive more conservatively.

My 2021 Ford E-350 does not hunt at all in the mountains, unlike my 08 F-53 did, it stays in 5th gear and sits there, not bragging its just a fact, maybe its my weight I don't know but its the best RV I have ever owned and I have had 3 other motorhomes in the past.
[ 11,500 lbs fully loaded with 2 passengers ]

And no I did not keep my foot out of my RV on this trip, drove it like I will always drive it, 62-65 mph highway is my normal, cruise control on all the time.

jackreno 04-29-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Not with me, I drove my RV on this 1000 mile trip like I always drive, 62-65 mph cruise control on.

My average was at or above 11.5 mpg, not bragging just a fact.

The reason I am posting this is if someone is thinking of a new 7.3L V-8 small class C under 26 foot and under 12,000 lbs loaded you will be surprised by its mpg over the older V-10's.

Before I bought my BT Cruiser 5240 was asking on here the mpg on class C's and many posted 8-10 mpg and so I thought that was what I was going to get and bought the V-8 E-350 over the V-6 Transit class C's, but by my surprised I am getting close to what the V-6 Transits class C's are getting without screaming rpm's in the mountains or dealing with the turbos when they have issues..

Ford hit it out of the park with the 7.3 V-8 and 6 speed Torque Shift transmission on the E-350/450 super duty chassis.

Never goes above 3900 rpm's and sits in 6th gear 90 percent of the time.
[ at 62 mph 6th gear its 2100 rpms on the motor ]

If anyone is thinking buying used V-10 vs new V-8 I will say buy new..

gsuders86 04-30-2021 09:30 AM

Thanks for posting this info. Wife and I were looking at RV and I wasn't sure how good the new V8's would be vs the tried and true V10s.

arcaguy 04-30-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5730441)
Best I have ever owned..

Because that's the way the software is written or set up. I doubt it's going to change but I guess if enough folks complained it might be able to be changed. I've just taken to proofreading what I've written.

Phil G. 04-30-2021 11:19 AM

FWIW, we have a small Class C built on a Ford E450 V10 chassis with the 5-speed 5R110 tranny (5 gears under manual control, with one of the gears being adjustable between two ratios under computer control).

I drive it conservatively - rarely above 3900 RPM on grades if at all possible, using Tow/Haul mode whenever appropriate, and cruising at only 58-60 MPH (2100-2200 RPM) for a very quiet engine.

I think we may be squeeking out around 10 MPG, on average. I don't keep fanatic track of gas mileage because I've discovered that's the least of our expenses in owning a motorhome. :cool:

RonandDeb 04-30-2021 07:47 PM

That's a pretty good avg. Right or wrong, it's much easier to look at the dash and see what the mpg's are. Precise calculated spreadsheets don't impress me as it's not worth the work. If you're low on fuel, you're going to fill up anyway so true mpg's don't really matter unless your budget is that tight.

My MB diesel is averaging about 13mpg, from what the dash says anyway..

jackreno 05-01-2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonandDeb (Post 5733384)
That's a pretty good avg. Right or wrong, it's much easier to look at the dash and see what the mpg's are. Precise calculated spreadsheets don't impress me as it's not worth the work. If you're low on fuel, you're going to fill up anyway so true mpg's don't really matter unless your budget is that tight.

I tested the dash mpg to actual fill up from one gas station to another gas station on one part of my trip and the dash average read 11.5 and the fill up test to mileage was a tad over 11.3 mpg.

I would say the dash reading is very close to accurate so I use this as my gauge .

When I got back to Vegas my dash reading was 11.9 mpg average so I go with 11.5 as my true average.

[ yes I reset the average mpg reading when I left Vegas at my driveway and never touched it during the trip back to Vegas ]

My budget is not tight but it sure is nice to drive a motorhome around and get this kind of gas mileage compared to my other 3 motorhomes that I owned that never saw above 8 mpg on its best day..

1979 Xplorer class C 23 foot long, 440 Dodge motor 3 speed trans.
2002 Flair class A 27 foot long, 8.1 GM motor 4 speed trans.
2008 Bounder class A 33 foot long, Ford V-10 5 speed trans.

All 3 above were good motorhomes with good motors but I will say it here the Ford 7.3L V-8 with the 6 speed trans is by far the best of them all.

Ford truly got it right with this motor/trans combo... :bow:

nodine 05-01-2021 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMike (Post 5730495)
Well, yes and no, at least IMHO.

Filling up at different stations means using different fuel pumps, and the automatic cutoff on different pumps work differently. Some pumps cut off too early, giving you the impression that you have gotten high mpg figures than are accurate, and then the next fill up is likely to show a lower figure. And neither of those figures are likely to be accurate. I believe that is even true when you don't accept the automatic cutoff as being the final word and add more fuel.

It has been my experience that computing the figure using the miles and gallons works properly only when a lot of miles and a lot of fill up are involved, and that is why I only use those figures at the end of a relatively long trip - say 2000 miles - or after a lot of fill ups, perhaps 10. Then I assume the multiple figures will average out to something fairly accurate.

FWIW I have found the mileage figure the Ford Transit 350 HD chassis gives me in my Winnebago Fuse is pretty accurate, usually no more than 0.5 - 1.0 mpg off at the most and I have come to believe it.

Also don't forget the change in temperature of the fuel from fill up to fill. We have a diesel with a 100 gallon fuel tank and always stop at the Sam's Club 12 miles from home and fill up. We then drive home and put the coach in a heated garage. I filled it up in February when the temps were cold. A few days ago I decided to empty a gallon of clean diesel I carried for on the road filter changes into that 100 gallon tank. When I screwed the camp off the fill tube diesel stared running out. The fuel in the tank had expanded that much from the fill up in February.

Bob

Ron Dittmer 05-01-2021 06:32 AM

Stating the fuel economy of a motorhome is not an easy "declared number" answer. There are so many variables that must be considered. Here are the MPG stats on our rig and how the numbers are calculated.

I write down the odometer at the first fuel fill-up at home, then a second time once back home when the trip is completed. My log is only how much gas is purchased to the 100th of a gallon. That first fill-up is logged in as "0" gallons purchased to start the trip.

- Our trips originate in the Chicago area.
- We head westerly which always involves driving across the Great Plains.
- Our trips vary between 5000 and 6000 miles.
- Our practiced cruising speed is 67-68 mph.

- 2007 E350 chassis
- 6.8L-V10 with 55 gallon fuel tank
- The motorhome is very aero-dynamic as shown below.
- Rig dimensions: 9'-10" to top of a/c unit, 93" wide, 23'-8" long
- Actual trip weight with us inside averages around 11,250 pounds.

We average 9.2mpg when towing the 4200 pound Jeep Liberty shown here.
https://live.staticflickr.com/4038/5...1fdc6468_z.jpg

We average 9.5mpg when towing the 2200 pound Toyota MR2 Spyder shown here.
https://live.staticflickr.com/7023/6...1be1621e_z.jpg

We average 10.5mpg when we don't tow another vehicle.
This was only one trip where our cruising speed was lowered to 62mph, an experiment to achieve "best possible" fuel economy.
https://live.staticflickr.com/3495/3...4c364696_z.jpg

Here is the frontal profile of our rig aerodynamics.
https://live.staticflickr.com/2432/3...411a139a_z.jpg

CLICK HERE to see many pictures of our rig.

jackreno 05-01-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer (Post 5733635)

We average 10.5mpg when we don't tow another vehicle.
This was only one trip where our cruising speed was lowered to 62mph, an experiment to achieve "best possible" fuel economy.

So it appears the new 7.3 V-8 does get better fuel mileage as Ford stated it would over the V-10.

My RV is about the same as yours in weight, height and aero dynamics.

Ron Dittmer 05-01-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5733872)
So it appears the new 7.3 V-8 does get better fuel mileage as Ford stated it would over the V-10.

My RV is about the same as yours in weight, height and aero dynamics.

I heard the new Ford V8 Godzilla engine teamed up with the latest transmission offers improved fuel economy. I am glad to read that you are experiencing that.

Years ago the E350 that we have was built with different gearing in the differential, compared to the E450. It does not pull as strong as an E450 but given the lighter load, it doesn't need to. That difference offered better gas mileage, roughly one more mile per gallon. Later, Ford added more gears in the transmission which rendered the gearing in the differential a mute feature, so for a number of years now, the E350 and E450 have the same gearing in the differential.

jjrbus 05-01-2021 06:56 PM

Holy bat poop Batman. Consistently getting over 10 mpg in one of those rigs is not good it is spectacular. Can't wait to read the reviews on these.

AJMike 05-02-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonandDeb (Post 5733384)

Are you pulling a toad? Or constantly in stop and go traffic? That seems awfully low for a small diesel C.

We get 17-20 with our diesel Winnebago Fuse and I have understood that the MB and Ford diesels are about equivalent in terms of fuel economy.

Ron Dittmer 05-02-2021 10:55 PM

I have noticed that one variable not brought up much is "cruising speed". The problem with the Ford V10 (assumed to be worse yet with the bigger V8) is that it is very common that they cruise faster than people driving Sprinters. I can't explain it. I simply notice that when Sprinter owners bring up their cruising speed, it's roughly 7 to 10 mph slower than people in an E-series.

It would be very interesting to take two rigs (E350-V10 versus Sprinter diesel) with the exact same house and contents, then travel in caravan style for a real comparison of fuel economy. Phoenix USA used to build model 2350 on the E350-V10 and also on the Sprinter-diesel, a perfect scenario.

nodine 05-03-2021 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer (Post 5735992)
I have noticed that one variable not brought up much is "cruising speed". The problem with the Ford V10 (assumed to be worse yet with the bigger V8) is that it is very common that they cruise faster than people driving Sprinters. I can't explain it. I simply notice that when Sprinter owners bring up their cruising speed, it's roughly 7 to 10 mph slower than people in an E-series.

It would be very interesting to take two rigs (E350-V10 versus Sprinter diesel) with the exact same house and contents, then travel in caravan style for a real comparison of fuel economy. Phoenix USA used to build model 2350 on the E350-V10 and also on the Sprinter-diesel, a perfect scenario.

First I will admit that I am not a young person, 75 next month, and it has been my observation that folks younger than me drive much faster. I would guess that folks who own the Sprinter chassis would tend to be older than many who own a gas Class C. Our 40 foot diesel pusher drives and handles nicely at 70 to 75 but we keep the cruise at 63 to 65 MPH. I have been sailing along at 65 and had many a gas Class C pass me at 75 or 80. Guess they have a schedule to keep - I don't.

Bob

RonandDeb 05-03-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMike (Post 5735307)
Are you pulling a toad? Or constantly in stop and go traffic? That seems awfully low for a small diesel C.

We get 17-20 with our diesel Winnebago Fuse and I have understood that the MB and Ford diesels are about equivalent in terms of fuel economy.

No toad, but that's sticking close to home driving. Should have mentioned that. First trip isn't for a few weeks. I'm hoping for 17 plus on the highway but would be happy with at least 15.

Ron Dittmer 05-03-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodine (Post 5736131)
I have been sailing along at 65 and had many a gas Class C pass me at 75 or 80. Guess they have a schedule to keep - I don't.

Bob

Bob, you bring up an excellent point. A working family with limited vacation time, wants to cut down on transit time so that they can gain a day each way driving hard, long and fast. A 16 day vacation knocking off 2 days of travel across the country, is a serious amount of extra "destination" time.

When we were young with young kids and limited vacation time, our rig was a slug so speeding was not an option. We made up the time by driving 24/7. It was great to let the kids sleep while we drove through the night. Now-a-days, safety is such a big focus and is the law, we'd be arrested for letting the children sleep on the beds.

jackreno 05-04-2021 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer (Post 5736910)

When we were young with young kids and limited vacation time, our rig was a slug so speeding was not an option. We made up the time by driving 24/7. It was great to let the kids sleep while we drove through the night. Now-a-days, safety is such a big focus and is the law, we'd be arrested for letting the children sleep on the beds.

I am waiting for the self drive motorhomes to come out and load in the address where to go and go back and take a nap and hope to wake up in my vacation spot..

Ron Dittmer 05-04-2021 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5737380)
I am waiting for the self drive motorhomes to come out and load in the address where to go and go back and take a nap and hope to wake up in my vacation spot..

Now you're talking! That would be awesome.

hpdrver 05-04-2021 07:26 AM

GM is beginning to install its’ super cruise system in some of its vehicles. Although not totally autonomous, it performs a lot of the driving tasks. I suspect Ford will not be far behind so in the next 5 years, significant enhancements in driving functions will occur.

nodine 05-04-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpdrver (Post 5737570)
GM is beginning to install its’ super cruise system in some of its vehicles. Although not totally autonomous, it performs a lot of the driving tasks. I suspect Ford will not be far behind so in the next 5 years, significant enhancements in driving functions will occur.

And I am sure it will help those in the legal profession! You can almost smell the lawsuits.

Bob

AJMike 05-04-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer (Post 5736910)
Now-a-days, safety is such a big focus and is the law, we'd be arrested for letting the children sleep on the beds.

Is that right? Is it really illegal for someone to sleep on a bed in an RV when it is on the road?

Seems a bit excessive.

RonandDeb 05-04-2021 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMike (Post 5738119)
Is that right? Is it really illegal for someone to sleep on a bed in an RV when it is on the road?

Seems a bit excessive.

It's true, it's illegal. You cannot have occupants sleeping in a bed while you are driving. The only way you can sleep is with a seatbelt on and sitting up.

Even the slightest accident can send them flying. Not that people don't do it, but it's just not safe, any way you look at it. :thumb:

hpdrver 05-04-2021 06:47 PM

We picked up our new Coach House RV last month and drove it 1200 miles home to Texas. Set trip monitor in dash to track journey. Drove various speeds but averaged 70mph. Gas mileage in computer was 10.9 with the Godzilla drivetrain. Did not track manually. Coach House is very aerodynamic so a 11 mpg is possible if I lowered my speed to 62mph. Did not tow.

jackreno 05-04-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpdrver (Post 5738367)
We picked up our new Coach House RV last month and drove it 1200 miles home to Texas. Set trip monitor in dash to track journey. Drove various speeds but averaged 70mph. Gas mileage in computer was 10.9 with the Godzilla drivetrain. Did not track manually. Coach House is very aerodynamic so a 11 mpg is possible if I lowered my speed to 62mph. Did not tow.

Yea I drive 62-65 mph and my reading is 11.9 average so far on the dash monitor, I am also getting around 13 mpg at 65 mph flat road.

Ford has done very well with this motor so far I hope it has a non issue repair problems down the road, so far heard very few issues from the 2020 Trucks other than the 10 speed trans issue.

The 10 speed trans was one of my reasons not to buy the Transit class B+ cause the 10 speeds seem to have issues after a while, also heard there is now a recall on the Ford 10 speed, the 6 speed trans has been in service since 2016 and has had very few issues.

The 6 speed Torque shift is the same as the 5 speed just one more overdrive, the 5 speed was also a great transmission.

I sold my class A 2008 with the V-10 and 5 speed, great motor and trans, zero issues at 52,000 miles when I sold it and seemed it would last other 100,000 without issues, I hope the same for the V-8..

creativepart 05-04-2021 10:58 PM

The dash monitor is worthless for determining true mpg. Gallons of fuel divided by miles driven is the only way to get a meaningful mpg. And it should include all idling as well.

Hills, traffic, wind, toad all count too. Somebody with a new vehicle and a dash monitor that hasn’t taken any distant camping trips in the real world fully loaded cannot know what their mileage is yet.

jackreno 05-04-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativepart (Post 5738608)
The dash monitor is worthless for determining true mpg. Gallons of fuel divided by miles driven is the only way to get a meaningful mpg. And it should include all idling as well.

Hills, traffic, wind, toad all count too. Somebody with a new vehicle and a dash monitor that hasn’t taken any distant camping trips in the real world fully loaded cannot know what their mileage is yet.

I checked mine on one long leg of my recent trip with the manual way vs the monitor and the reading was very close.

Manual way was a tad over 11.3 vs dash monitor read 11.5

Manual = Gallons of fuel divided by miles driven

Maybe its more accurate on the new E-350/450

Either way I am getting nearly double the distance on my class B+ vs the class A on the same gal of gas and that right there is a win win..
[ and less stressful driving ]

Grower15 05-05-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpdrver (Post 5738367)

Congrats on your new Coach House! We’re seriously considering one. How was the delivery process? Perhaps you could share your initial perceptions of your CH in a new thread.

AJMike 05-05-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonandDeb (Post 5738295)
It's true, it's illegal. You cannot have occupants sleeping in a bed while you are driving. The only way you can sleep is with a seatbelt on and sitting up.

Even the slightest accident can send them flying. Not that people don't do it, but it's just not safe, any way you look at it. :thumb:

Yes. It is not safe, but not safe is very different from illegal.

While we are on the road driving in our RV my wife sometimes gets up to get some water from the refrigerator or perhaps a cookie from the cabinet. That is not safe because at any time I might need to slow down and the change in momentum can be a real issue, but as far as I know it is not illegal.

Can you point me to where this is written in law? Is it just Pennsylvania? Or is it nationwide?

UPDATE:

OK. Apparently it is the seat belt law that is the issue. I guess being in a moving vehicle without a seat belt is illegal, although in some states (including Arizona) it is a secondary violation, which means that you can not be ticketed for it unless you were stopped for some other reason.

jackreno 05-05-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMike (Post 5739517)
Yes. It is not safe, but not safe is very different from illegal.

While we are on the road driving in our RV my wife sometimes gets up to get some water from the refrigerator or perhaps a cookie from the cabinet. That is not safe because at any time I might need to slow down and the change in momentum can be a real issue, but as far as I know it is not illegal.

Can you point me to where this is written in law? Is it just Pennsylvania? Or is it nationwide?

It comes under the seat belt law, I don't know of any seat belts on the beds, also getting up to get a drink or going to the restroom while the RVing is moving down the road is illegal as to the seat belt law..

But I to am guilty of this, my wife gets up from time to time and when my childern were younger they to moved about the RV while moving..

hpdrver 05-05-2021 05:08 PM

We were Very impressed with our Coach House. Will start a new post with details.

RV2009 05-12-2021 07:58 AM

Just got back from another trip. Had to go by Detroit, so doing 65 mph instead of my usual 61 to 62 mph ( which is the 'sweet' spot).

Drove 307.3 miles, took 30.324 gallon to fill it up, you do the math.

Did not have any choice on the engine when we first got it, now I would not trade it for anything.

I love especially when going up the average gentle hill, it does not even downshift.

jackreno 05-12-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV2009 (Post 5748440)
Just got back from another trip. Had to go by Detroit, so doing 65 mph instead of my usual 61 to 62 mph ( which is the 'sweet' spot).

Drove 307.3 miles, took 30.324 gallon to fill it up, you do the math.

Did not have any choice on the engine when we first got it, now I would not trade it for anything.

I love especially when going up the average gentle hill, it does not even downshift.

Looks just about 10 mpg, what is your year, motor and transmission may I ask..

RV2009 05-12-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5748823)
Looks just about 10 mpg, what is your year, motor and transmission may I ask..

You got me! :o I saw 7.3 liter and got all excited. I guess once you go beyond a 5.0, it is all heaven. And I thought a 5.0 was awesome.

Sorry about that. I have the 6.8 V10 (2 valve, and yes, we already popped a spark plug many years ago).

2000, 4-speed AOD transmission, all stock.

25' footer, plus we took out all the cabinets in front as well as the dinette (made out of 100% solid wood back then). Replaced with 2 recliners.

Always travel with 1/3 of a tank of fresh water and full propane. Always end up with about 10 mpg, in the winter sometimes 9 point something, summertime going west (flat roads/constant speed) we hit 12 mpg.

Happy Camping!

jackreno 05-12-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV2009 (Post 5748867)

2000, 4-speed AOD transmission, all stock.

Happy Camping!

10 mpg with the old V-10 and 4 speed trans is darn good than.

Bill Gail 06-08-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5715371)
After 2 months fixing my motorhome of the issues and installing new stuff when it was bought new in February this year I decided to learn the instrument panel settings and found things I did not know I had.

1st off most my driving in the past 2 months have been some highway and mostly around town and my average mpg was around 8.6, also the average mpg the day I bought it was 8.2 and has only slowly gone up.

Well I found out I could clear that average reading and also found out I also have exact mpg reading while driving.

So I cleared the settings and went on a drive for 30 miles on highway and about 7 miles in town and by my surprise I have been getting far better mpg than I have posted on here before.

At 60 mph cruise control set mostly flat highway no wind I am getting around 12-13 mpg on the flat areas as to Fords display on instrument panel and now my average after driving for about 7 miles in town after the highway drive I am getting 11.5 mpg

So the new Ford 7.3L gas V-8 is getting good mpg and this has me even more happy staying with the big block V-8 vs the small block V-6 in the other small Class B+.

However this is just a short run test, I will be going on a long 1000+ mile trip very soon and will let you know the true long run mpg.

I wished I had learn the settings when I 1st bought it but been busy doing other things..

Has anyone installed a fuel flow gauge in their MH ?

We have them in our boat and they provide an accurate rate of burn .

However , I disconnected them . A 21,000lb boat with twin 7.4 big blocks at 3200 rpm at 16-18 knots come to find out burns 36 gal. an hour.

I had thought about installing one in the MH , but on second thought I would probably disconnect it too.

In my case , ignorance is bliss .........

jackreno 06-10-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Gail (Post 5783164)
Has anyone installed a fuel flow gauge in their MH ?

We have them in our boat and they provide an accurate rate of burn .

However , I disconnected them . A 21,000lb boat with twin 7.4 big blocks at 3200 rpm at 16-18 knots come to find out burns 36 gal. an hour.

I had thought about installing one in the MH , but on second thought I would probably disconnect it too.

In my case , ignorance is bliss .........

Yea twin 7.4L on a boat would eat gas like crazy..

Knowing you MPG helps one drive smarter to keep the gas bill down, not that I cant afford more gas cost just like the savings I can get while driving my class B+ vs the class A I use to have that ate gas like crazy..

I have a 14 foot SIB [Bombard Commando C4, Black] with a 50 hp 4 stroke that is ok on gas, can boat almost all day on 6 gallons at half throttle..

RonandDeb 06-10-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMike (Post 5735307)

Took another trip and averaged around 15. Just under 11,000 lbs.

You should consider yourself lucky if you're getting more than 17 as the advertised mpg's on a Fuse are 15-17.

AJMike 06-11-2021 06:35 AM

I think a lot of that depends upon what speeds you travel at, and how you stop and start. I have a pretty light foot on the pedal. Average highway speed is about 62 mph.

RonandDeb 06-11-2021 07:54 PM

Weight plays an important factor as well.

Nonetheless, it's certainly acceptable for me and I won't complain about it.