iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   UPDATE : My True MPG 7.3L V-8 Gas (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/update-my-true-mpg-7-3l-v-8-gas-532975.html)

creativepart 05-04-2021 10:58 PM

The dash monitor is worthless for determining true mpg. Gallons of fuel divided by miles driven is the only way to get a meaningful mpg. And it should include all idling as well.

Hills, traffic, wind, toad all count too. Somebody with a new vehicle and a dash monitor that hasn’t taken any distant camping trips in the real world fully loaded cannot know what their mileage is yet.

jackreno 05-04-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativepart (Post 5738608)
The dash monitor is worthless for determining true mpg. Gallons of fuel divided by miles driven is the only way to get a meaningful mpg. And it should include all idling as well.

Hills, traffic, wind, toad all count too. Somebody with a new vehicle and a dash monitor that hasn’t taken any distant camping trips in the real world fully loaded cannot know what their mileage is yet.

I checked mine on one long leg of my recent trip with the manual way vs the monitor and the reading was very close.

Manual way was a tad over 11.3 vs dash monitor read 11.5

Manual = Gallons of fuel divided by miles driven

Maybe its more accurate on the new E-350/450

Either way I am getting nearly double the distance on my class B+ vs the class A on the same gal of gas and that right there is a win win..
[ and less stressful driving ]

Grower15 05-05-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpdrver (Post 5738367)
We picked up our new Coach House RV last month and drove it 1200 miles home to Texas. Set trip monitor in dash to track journey. Drove various speeds but averaged 70mph. Gas mileage in computer was 10.9 with the Godzilla drivetrain. Did not track manually. Coach House is very aerodynamic so a 11 mpg is possible if I lowered my speed to 62mph. Did not tow.



Congrats on your new Coach House! We’re seriously considering one. How was the delivery process? Perhaps you could share your initial perceptions of your CH in a new thread.

AJMike 05-05-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonandDeb (Post 5738295)
It's true, it's illegal. You cannot have occupants sleeping in a bed while you are driving. The only way you can sleep is with a seatbelt on and sitting up.

Even the slightest accident can send them flying. Not that people don't do it, but it's just not safe, any way you look at it. :thumb:

Yes. It is not safe, but not safe is very different from illegal.

While we are on the road driving in our RV my wife sometimes gets up to get some water from the refrigerator or perhaps a cookie from the cabinet. That is not safe because at any time I might need to slow down and the change in momentum can be a real issue, but as far as I know it is not illegal.

Can you point me to where this is written in law? Is it just Pennsylvania? Or is it nationwide?

UPDATE:

OK. Apparently it is the seat belt law that is the issue. I guess being in a moving vehicle without a seat belt is illegal, although in some states (including Arizona) it is a secondary violation, which means that you can not be ticketed for it unless you were stopped for some other reason.

jackreno 05-05-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMike (Post 5739517)
Yes. It is not safe, but not safe is very different from illegal.

While we are on the road driving in our RV my wife sometimes gets up to get some water from the refrigerator or perhaps a cookie from the cabinet. That is not safe because at any time I might need to slow down and the change in momentum can be a real issue, but as far as I know it is not illegal.

Can you point me to where this is written in law? Is it just Pennsylvania? Or is it nationwide?

It comes under the seat belt law, I don't know of any seat belts on the beds, also getting up to get a drink or going to the restroom while the RVing is moving down the road is illegal as to the seat belt law..

But I to am guilty of this, my wife gets up from time to time and when my childern were younger they to moved about the RV while moving..

hpdrver 05-05-2021 05:08 PM

We were Very impressed with our Coach House. Will start a new post with details.

RV2009 05-12-2021 07:58 AM

Just got back from another trip. Had to go by Detroit, so doing 65 mph instead of my usual 61 to 62 mph ( which is the 'sweet' spot).

Drove 307.3 miles, took 30.324 gallon to fill it up, you do the math.

Did not have any choice on the engine when we first got it, now I would not trade it for anything.

I love especially when going up the average gentle hill, it does not even downshift.

jackreno 05-12-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV2009 (Post 5748440)
Just got back from another trip. Had to go by Detroit, so doing 65 mph instead of my usual 61 to 62 mph ( which is the 'sweet' spot).

Drove 307.3 miles, took 30.324 gallon to fill it up, you do the math.

Did not have any choice on the engine when we first got it, now I would not trade it for anything.

I love especially when going up the average gentle hill, it does not even downshift.

Looks just about 10 mpg, what is your year, motor and transmission may I ask..

RV2009 05-12-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5748823)
Looks just about 10 mpg, what is your year, motor and transmission may I ask..

You got me! :o I saw 7.3 liter and got all excited. I guess once you go beyond a 5.0, it is all heaven. And I thought a 5.0 was awesome.

Sorry about that. I have the 6.8 V10 (2 valve, and yes, we already popped a spark plug many years ago).

2000, 4-speed AOD transmission, all stock.

25' footer, plus we took out all the cabinets in front as well as the dinette (made out of 100% solid wood back then). Replaced with 2 recliners.

Always travel with 1/3 of a tank of fresh water and full propane. Always end up with about 10 mpg, in the winter sometimes 9 point something, summertime going west (flat roads/constant speed) we hit 12 mpg.

Happy Camping!

jackreno 05-12-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV2009 (Post 5748867)

2000, 4-speed AOD transmission, all stock.


Happy Camping!

10 mpg with the old V-10 and 4 speed trans is darn good than.

Bill Gail 06-08-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5715371)
After 2 months fixing my motorhome of the issues and installing new stuff when it was bought new in February this year I decided to learn the instrument panel settings and found things I did not know I had.

1st off most my driving in the past 2 months have been some highway and mostly around town and my average mpg was around 8.6, also the average mpg the day I bought it was 8.2 and has only slowly gone up.

Well I found out I could clear that average reading and also found out I also have exact mpg reading while driving.

So I cleared the settings and went on a drive for 30 miles on highway and about 7 miles in town and by my surprise I have been getting far better mpg than I have posted on here before.

At 60 mph cruise control set mostly flat highway no wind I am getting around 12-13 mpg on the flat areas as to Fords display on instrument panel and now my average after driving for about 7 miles in town after the highway drive I am getting 11.5 mpg

So the new Ford 7.3L gas V-8 is getting good mpg and this has me even more happy staying with the big block V-8 vs the small block V-6 in the other small Class B+.

However this is just a short run test, I will be going on a long 1000+ mile trip very soon and will let you know the true long run mpg.

I wished I had learn the settings when I 1st bought it but been busy doing other things..

:D


Has anyone installed a fuel flow gauge in their MH ?

We have them in our boat and they provide an accurate rate of burn .

However , I disconnected them . A 21,000lb boat with twin 7.4 big blocks at 3200 rpm at 16-18 knots come to find out burns 36 gal. an hour.

I had thought about installing one in the MH , but on second thought I would probably disconnect it too.

In my case , ignorance is bliss .........

jackreno 06-10-2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Gail (Post 5783164)
Has anyone installed a fuel flow gauge in their MH ?

We have them in our boat and they provide an accurate rate of burn .

However , I disconnected them . A 21,000lb boat with twin 7.4 big blocks at 3200 rpm at 16-18 knots come to find out burns 36 gal. an hour.

I had thought about installing one in the MH , but on second thought I would probably disconnect it too.

In my case , ignorance is bliss .........

Yea twin 7.4L on a boat would eat gas like crazy..

Knowing you MPG helps one drive smarter to keep the gas bill down, not that I cant afford more gas cost just like the savings I can get while driving my class B+ vs the class A I use to have that ate gas like crazy..

I have a 14 foot SIB [Bombard Commando C4, Black] with a 50 hp 4 stroke that is ok on gas, can boat almost all day on 6 gallons at half throttle..

RonandDeb 06-10-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMike (Post 5735307)
Are you pulling a toad? Or constantly in stop and go traffic? That seems awfully low for a small diesel C.

We get 17-20 with our diesel Winnebago Fuse and I have understood that the MB and Ford diesels are about equivalent in terms of fuel economy.

Took another trip and averaged around 15. Just under 11,000 lbs.

You should consider yourself lucky if you're getting more than 17 as the advertised mpg's on a Fuse are 15-17.

AJMike 06-11-2021 06:35 AM

I think a lot of that depends upon what speeds you travel at, and how you stop and start. I have a pretty light foot on the pedal. Average highway speed is about 62 mph.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.