iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Hydroboost Upgrade for Workhorse P Series Chassis (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/hydroboost-upgrade-for-workhorse-p-series-chassis-533417.html)

heyjacks 04-19-2021 08:38 PM

Hydroboost Upgrade for Workhorse P Series Chassis

I know a lot of people with P series Workhorse Chassis wish they had better brakes. I just finished this upgrade to my 2003 Safari Trek. I got the idea from the duramax community who was upgrading the boosters in their older trucks with newer models.

https://youtu.be/L3Yf31n6py0

Jdb67 04-28-2021 07:01 PM

I have looked at your video on this upgrade and the other brake maintenance. They are all very good and I intend to follow your lead and carefully go through my entire brake system. I am a capable mechanic and just usually need a guiding hand. The hydroboost upgrade is genius. The part is not that expensive and your mods to fit it are easy to follow in your video. If you are a diy P32 mechanic I recommend you check out his videos. You can find them on youtube under U Fix It Garage :thumb:

D Gardiner 04-28-2021 11:59 PM

What amazes me is how little things changed (upgraded) on the P32 chassis. My 12/1995 P32 hydro boost is identical to your 2003 unit. Looks like a nice upgrade. Our hydro boost is slowly weeping power steering fluid.

heyjacks 04-30-2021 06:01 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I'll get the part numbers added to the descriptions of the videos.
As you can see in the videos, my brakes were really bad. I did a lot of other work besides the hydrobooster. I replaced the pads, one rotor, all the flex hoses, the master cylinder, hydrobooster, and did a complete system drain, flush, and refill. All of that combined made a huge difference. I can't say for sure how much of a performance improvement the new booster is. I suspect that the larger diameter piston provides some added pushing force to the master cylinder. At the end of the day, it's not a dramatically different design than the original.
I think the primary advantage of this modification is that it that the new booster is cheaper than a rebuild and is factory new. In researching this, I read a lot of stories about people having to replace their booster multiple times because the rebuilt unit leaked immediately or very soon after installation.
The other factor in this equasion is the amount of pressure that the power steering pump is putting out. Increasing the power steering fluid pressure would have a direct effect on pedal force. I'll be researching what the pressure limits are and what options there are out there.

iRV4FUN 05-02-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyjacks (Post 5719502)
I know a lot of people with P series Workhorse Chassis wish they had better brakes. I just finished this upgrade to my 2003 Safari Trek. I got the idea from the duramax community who was upgrading the boosters in their older trucks with newer models.

https://youtu.be/L3Yf31n6py0

This and other P32 heyjacks videos should be placed in the sticky section of the Workhorse Forum. Very well done 👍

jspringator 05-26-2021 05:58 AM

I logged on to post your utube get comment! Excellent job. I've done the hoses, replaced all the calipers, and flushed the brake fluid with high performance brake fluid. Consider a side business converting these hydroboosts for those who lack the ability to do something like that ourselves. I drove the MH through Cherokee and SM National Park last weekend and was reminded how bad the brakes are. I downshifted and didn't ride the brakes, but I closely monitored the tire temperature on the TPMS.

heyjacks 05-29-2021 08:50 AM

Im glad you found the information helpful. Unfortunately we live in such a letigous society that it would be cost prohibitive for me to sell pre-modified boosters. I'd have to form another LLC, pay for a liability insurance, come up with all kinds of warning stickers, etc.

I hope you get your brakes working right. I actually enjoy driving my RV after fixing mine.

donr103 05-30-2021 02:39 PM

well best videos i have ever seen.. pure genius!! loved it.. thank you sooo much.. great help and great info!!!! please please post more.. let us know about p/s pump pressure upgrade!!! thank you.. in fact.. please post all your upgrades.. the brake job and recommendations may have just saved the lives of my family and i.. !!!!

heyjacks 06-01-2021 06:47 PM

Thank you sir. That is a great complement.

I'm a member over on Trek Trax forum. So far, this upgrade has been done by myself and two others. The other guys also report that their brakes are significantly better after installing the new booster. It's not an easy job because of the limited space to work. It's not mechanically difficult. It just takes patience and time.