iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Blown diesel engine (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/blown-diesel-engine-533735.html)

R.G.Wise 05-09-2021 12:17 PM

over filling oil will cause run off. has that happen to diesel pickup and also one of my class trucks. Was able to block off the air intake fast enough to stop both before doing any damage.

wolfe10 05-09-2021 12:24 PM

Yup, in a 2002 Cat 3126 with standard steel pan 19 quarts is correct with filter change.


More, and it will puke out the crankcase breather.


Have seen a number of people pour in 5 gallons and wonder why 1 quart is all over the back of the coach and toad. Yes, one quart of diesel oil sprayed out will make a HUGE mess.


The issue is compounded by inaccurate dipsticks which often-times caused continual overfilling. Remember, engine oil dipsticks are NOT Caterpillar or Cummins parts. They are ordered and installed by the chassis maker and MAY be accurate (or may not).


For decades, I have recommended calibrating the engine oil dipstick at the first/next oil change. It is FREE and only takes a few extra minutes.

Keith55 05-09-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfe10 (Post 5744381)
Yup, in a 2002 Cat 3126 with standard steel pan 19 quarts is correct with filter change.


More, and it will puke out the crankcase breather.


Have seen a number of people pour in 5 gallons and wonder why 1 quart is all over the back of the coach and toad. Yes, one quart of diesel oil sprayed out will make a HUGE mess.


The issue is compounded by inaccurate dipsticks which often-times caused continual overfilling. Remember, engine oil dipsticks are NOT Caterpillar or Cummins parts. They are ordered and installed by the chassis maker and MAY be accurate (or may not).


For decades, I have recommended calibrating the engine oil dipstick at the first/next oil change. It is FREE and only takes a few extra minutes.


I assume you mean to put in the manufacturer's recommended oil amount and then look at the dipstick and make a mark. This mark would be considered the new correct level?

This is a real "aha" moment for me because I always assumed the dipstick was gospel. I can think of a couple engines that never took the manufacturer's recommended amount of oil. It never occurred to me that the dip stick was wrong. I was likely over filling them although I had one that always showed high when I put the recommended amount of oil in.

No harm no foul for me because I never had a problem and likely the dipstick was only mildly out of calibration. I am a stickler for detail though.

Dutchstar53 05-09-2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfe10 (Post 5744381)
Yup, in a 2002 Cat 3126 with standard steel pan 19 quarts is correct with filter change.


More, and it will puke out the crankcase breather.


Have seen a number of people pour in 5 gallons and wonder why 1 quart is all over the back of the coach and toad. Yes, one quart of diesel oil sprayed out will make a HUGE mess.


The issue is compounded by inaccurate dipsticks which often-times caused continual overfilling. Remember, engine oil dipsticks are NOT Caterpillar or Cummins parts. They are ordered and installed by the chassis maker and MAY be accurate (or may not).


For decades, I have recommended calibrating the engine oil dipstick at the first/next oil change. It is FREE and only takes a few extra minutes.

Yes, my husband figured that out. We wrote near the oil filler the correct #of quarts of oil and wrote it on the service write up every time as some of the Freightliner service centers didnít seem to get the memo. Most of the time husband did the oil change himself. We still had a blowby issue.

153stars 05-10-2021 12:17 PM

I think I remember reading real old thread ,the published amount in older model Monaco 8.3 owners and dipstick were both 2-3qts. over. Owners were like after it blows out two qts it's fine the ah ha moment , they found other literature with proper amount.

Timaz 05-10-2021 11:53 PM

I put in 5 Gal. in my 8.3. Some people say 6 gal. Anything over 5 in my engine and it is blown out the breather. At 5 it doesn't burn or blow out anything. That's the add mark on my dip stick.

Tim

MobyDick 05-31-2021 04:25 PM

I am trying to respond. For some reason, I have a really difficult time on this site; I can't respond, my posts get lost.
We had the motorhome towed to OK. We're parked here now still debating. We had a quote of $30K, to "fix" the engine. Apparently, our CAT 330HP was just a "loser," in the diesel field and is no longer being used. We haven't decided what to do on it. It's a clear title, but, it's a 2001. Blue Book is just a bit over the cost of the repairs. Can't sell it without an engine, but.....do we want to take a chance on something else going? Open for suggestions. We're not spring chickens. More like 73 and 82. But. We are NOT ready to just sit in rocking chairs. This is our home. I apologize to all who thought we were ignoring your comments and time spent looking up stuff for us. It's been a bad 4 months; health-wise and motorhome-wise. No excuses, just an explanation.

GCSuper 05-31-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobyDick (Post 5773299)
I am trying to respond. For some reason, I have a really difficult time on this site; I can't respond, my posts get lost.
We had the motorhome towed to OK. We're parked here now still debating. We had a quote of $30K, to "fix" the engine. Apparently, our CAT 330HP was just a "loser," in the diesel field and is no longer being used. We haven't decided what to do on it. It's a clear title, but, it's a 2001. Blue Book is just a bit over the cost of the repairs. Can't sell it without an engine, but.....do we want to take a chance on something else going? Open for suggestions. We're not spring chickens. More like 73 and 82. But. We are NOT ready to just sit in rocking chairs. This is our home. I apologize to all who thought we were ignoring your comments and time spent looking up stuff for us. It's been a bad 4 months; health-wise and motorhome-wise. No excuses, just an explanation.

Thanks for the update. Hope you guys can come up with a plan that works out. Best of luck.

Ol Putz 05-31-2021 11:03 PM

Used Engines
 
You might want to check with Colaw RV salvage in Carthage MO. They might be able to get you fixed up with a good used one. Good Luck

Piros1 05-31-2021 11:17 PM

MobyDick first I would like to say sorry to hear of the misfortunes you are dealing with, hopefully you can resolve this in an acceptable manner.

You mentioned that the Cat 330 is a loser engine. I believe that your engine is a Cat 3126E 330HP, these are actually very good engines properly maintained. I have several in my fleet in various HP ratings from 250-330. These engines require oil changes every 250 hours with a minimum of once per year, it is best to change based on hours rather than miles. I’m just telling this to give you some background of your engine.

If you and your wife really like your coach and are healthy enough to continue using it I wouldn’t hesitate to replace your engine. This is assuming your coach is in good condition. The other option is wholesale it out and move on. Neither are great but I think that is about your only options. Regardless I wish you the best.

Dutchstar53 06-01-2021 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobyDick (Post 5773299)
I am trying to respond. For some reason, I have a really difficult time on this site; I can't respond, my posts get lost.
We had the motorhome towed to OK. We're parked here now still debating. We had a quote of $30K, to "fix" the engine. Apparently, our CAT 330HP was just a "loser," in the diesel field and is no longer being used. We haven't decided what to do on it. It's a clear title, but, it's a 2001. Blue Book is just a bit over the cost of the repairs. Can't sell it without an engine, but.....do we want to take a chance on something else going? Open for suggestions. We're not spring chickens. More like 73 and 82. But. We are NOT ready to just sit in rocking chairs. This is our home. I apologize to all who thought we were ignoring your comments and time spent looking up stuff for us. It's been a bad 4 months; health-wise and motorhome-wise. No excuses, just an explanation.

We replaced our CAT330 with a 170K miles on it, with a long block that we got thru a Catepillar repair shop. Call the closest CAT dealer (check the reviews to make sure they have good customer service). You can also check Jasper Engines, they had a few when we had our issues (BTW, we changed our engine before it gave out. And yes they were a problem, lots of blowby. Ours always passed the blowby test w/CAT. Then we ran out of warranty😬).

It will cost about $30K w/labor when all done. That is cheaper than you may be able to find a new coach. If you donít have that money, Iím so sorry. Not sure what the solution is, if you want to keep traveling. Best of luck to you, with your health issues first and foremost, then resovling your motorhome issue.

Dutchstar53 06-01-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piros1 (Post 5773760)
MobyDick first I would like to say sorry to hear of the misfortunes you are dealing with, hopefully you can resolve this in an acceptable manner.

You mentioned that the Cat 330 is a loser engine. I believe that your engine is a Cat 3126E 330HP, these are actually very good engines properly maintained. I have several in my fleet in various HP ratings from 250-330. These engines require oil changes every 250 hours with a minimum of once per year, it is best to change based on hours rather than miles. Iím just telling this to give you some background of your engine.

If you and your wife really like your coach and are healthy enough to continue using it I wouldnít hesitate to replace your engine. This is assuming your coach is in good condition. The other option is wholesale it out and move on. Neither are great but I think that is about your only options. Regardless I wish you the best.

Believe his would be a 3126B. We have a 2002 Newmar Dutchstar and thatís what we had in ours. See my post above. We properly maintained the coach. We alternated taking in for service for the major stuff and husband did the oil/filter change, fuel filter, air filter, etc in between. It has blowby from the get go, but would always pass the tests when we took it in for blowby testing. Husband installed catch cans that help with the oil getting all over the tow car. Finally at 170K miles we just had it replace. At 220K now and no blowby issues at all.

bpu699 06-01-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobyDick (Post 5773299)
I am trying to respond. For some reason, I have a really difficult time on this site; I can't respond, my posts get lost.
We had the motorhome towed to OK. We're parked here now still debating. We had a quote of $30K, to "fix" the engine. Apparently, our CAT 330HP was just a "loser," in the diesel field and is no longer being used. We haven't decided what to do on it. It's a clear title, but, it's a 2001. Blue Book is just a bit over the cost of the repairs. Can't sell it without an engine, but.....do we want to take a chance on something else going? Open for suggestions. We're not spring chickens. More like 73 and 82. But. We are NOT ready to just sit in rocking chairs. This is our home. I apologize to all who thought we were ignoring your comments and time spent looking up stuff for us. It's been a bad 4 months; health-wise and motorhome-wise. No excuses, just an explanation.

Cat 3126 is considered one of the better diesel engines (see videos on youtube by Adept Ape). But, it doesnt have removeable cylinder linings, so rebuild is tough...

You can buy a school bus with 100k miles on it, with a 3126, for $5000. Theyre on craigslist all the time...

Pull the engine, replace...

jacwjames 06-01-2021 07:36 AM

You consider just dropping a used engine in it and take a chance. If you do a search I'm sure you could find one fairly close. It would still cost money to get it changed out but might worth the risk. Look for something in a salvage vehicle,


I did a quick search of the Visione RV sight and they have a number of Cat engines, this will at least give you an idea of cost.

https://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/...M121319/s1.pl?


Good luck


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.