iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Full-Timers (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/)
-   -   Vent Question for Washer / Dryer (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/vent-question-for-washer-dryer-534274.html)

Krbjmpr 04-25-2021 09:53 PM

Vent Question for Washer / Dryer

Getting ready to upgrade my washer from a minuscule top-load to a front load. Haven't decided which brand that I will be using, but likely will be one that is refurbished from surrounding appliance repair house. And be all mechanical if I can find it.

Then I got to thinking about Washer / Dryer combo. I have a dryer already, plane jane 110v thing that was appropriately sized, I guess, for the silly washer that was in place. If I can find a combo washer / dryer, then I could wash, load dryer, then wash again and have washer dry as well without having to change over laundry.

But, here is the dilemna:
Can I run 2 dryers (heating appliances) into a common 4" dryer duct? Was considering using something like a sani-tee for plumbing where the 2nd pipe connects at an angle. Helps prevent backflow of sewage, I think principle would be the same with air.

I already have 2 dryer ducts installed: 1 for clothes dryer, 1 for the litter box. Don't really want a third. And no, the litter box duct is away from laundry 'closet'.

Never heard of a ducted litter box? It works great! Fashioned a flange out of a floor flange, connected to the dryer duct, and use a 12v computer fan to continuously move the air. Fan is actually driven off a 5v usb adapter to minimize fan / air noise but it does lose the battle when there is a strong wind outside. Or the vent fan in bathroom is turned on. My 'house-hold' consists of 3 cats / 2 dogs (fun-sized) / 2 teenagers, I need all the help I can get!

Ray,IN 05-01-2021 09:34 PM

My thoughts. Two 120VAC dryers plugged into the same 15A circuit will not work, the load exceeds breaker capacity. You would need to run a new circuit for the 2nd dryer/washer.
One 4" vent hose works fine for one dryer, two might create too much back-pressure in one hose for proper drying.
Find a way around those and you are OK.

Piros1 05-02-2021 04:39 AM

My dryer is a 220 RV size unit and it works great. Requires a 50 amp service. My old unit in my previous unit worked pretty good too and it was a 120V unit. Both are whirlpool brand. I don’t think sharing a dryer vent will work and both units will require separate circuits.

Krbjmpr 05-02-2021 09:41 AM

The washer and dryer borh have their own circuits / breakers. 20A each on different legs. No worries there.

As stated prior, the dryer is a small 120v unit. What might not have been clear is the washer will be a combo. As such, these usually have smaller discharge for dryer. 2in perhaps? I know tbey dont move nearly as much air as a dedicated dryer. Was also looking at Pinnacle combos, and those can go both ways. Vent or ventless on same unit. Still, Pinnacle doesnt have such a good reputation. Maybe it has improved.

It is the backpressure that is my concern. I think I can alleviate it by using a sanitee plumbing fitting. 3 inch in and out, but has an "angled" 2 inch as well. Otherwise, will afapt down a 3x3x3 sanitee.

My thoughts were that if it works with sewage, shiuld work with moist air. Just less dense. I think I am gonna pull the trigger on a Splendide vented. If I run into issues, then I will punch yet another hole in the side for another dryer vent.

While I am at it, going to install a pipe for makeup air to enter trailer the bottom and terminate at back of laundry closet. At one point, I will be able to look straight down from the laundry closet and see concrete. Both ends will be screened, closI am kicking around the idea of using an automatic gatevalve on exterior portion so I can open/close as needed and not have it ooen all the time.

Bonus points if I can figure out how to wire current sensor into supply circuits so gate valve opens when dryer mode is active for either machine.

Ray,IN 05-03-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krbjmpr (Post 5734919)
The washer and dryer borh have their own circuits / breakers. 20A each on different legs. No worries there.

As stated prior, the dryer is a small 120v unit. What might not have been clear is the washer will be a combo. As such, these usually have smaller discharge for dryer. 2in perhaps? I know tbey dont move nearly as much air as a dedicated dryer. Was also looking at Pinnacle combos, and those can go both ways. Vent or ventless on same unit. Still, Pinnacle doesnt have such a good reputation. Maybe it has improved.

It is the backpressure that is my concern. I think I can alleviate it by using a sanitee plumbing fitting. 3 inch in and out, but has an "angled" 2 inch as well. Otherwise, will afapt down a 3x3x3 sanitee.

My thoughts were that if it works with sewage, shiuld work with moist air. Just less dense. I think I am gonna pull the trigger on a Splendide vented. If I run into issues, then I will punch yet another hole in the side for another dryer vent.

While I am at it, going to install a pipe for makeup air to enter trailer the bottom and terminate at back of laundry closet. At one point, I will be able to look straight down from the laundry closet and see concrete. Both ends will be screened, closI am kicking around the idea of using an automatic gatevalve on exterior portion so I can open/close as needed and not have it ooen all the time.

Bonus points if I can figure out how to wire current sensor into supply circuits so gate valve opens when dryer mode is active for either machine.

No that is incorrect,Splendide combo units require a 4" exhaust flexible metal vent pipe and wall vent. Both your dryers will have 120VAC heating elements. Only special motorhomes are wired for 240VAC dryers to my knowledge.