iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   Koni shocks (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/koni-shocks-534883.html)

Rufinitt 04-30-2021 11:03 AM

Koni shocks

Hi
Just wanted to put this out there, if anyone is looking to replace their shocks on their RV.
I just replaced my original stock shocks on my C class E450 leprechaun bunkhouse, with koni shocks
All I can say is that I was hesitant at first because of the price of the koni shocks.
But it made a world of difference the RV feels like itís riding on air . Next I will replace the sway bars with The brand hellwig . Did some research on these and they seem to be a good fit for my RV hope this has been helpful.

jackreno 05-01-2021 01:32 AM

I had Koni shocks on my class A I sold and loved the way it rode vs other shocks, my new 2021 class C will soon be upgrading to Konis but I will use the stock Ford shocks for now..

But when the time comes the Konis are going on.. Best RV shock as I see it..

Avies48 05-01-2021 03:53 PM

we have a jayco 2018 greyhawk 29mv, i ordered koni's but all are on back order till middle of may for cali, at least thru shockwharehouse that is...

Phil G. 05-01-2021 06:57 PM

FWIW, what model Koni shock is being talked about here?

It's the Koni "FSD" (Frequency Selective Damping) shocks that I'm a fan of. I have two of those in the rear of my 24 ft. E450 Class C that have been superb at reducing the pounding in the rear that results from an under-loaded E450 chassis carrying only an 11,800 lb. motorhome. The stock Ford OEM shocks are still doing fine in the front after 15 years and ~81,000 miles.

(Of course Koni offers many standard damping shocks that are not their FSD type.)

Rufinitt 05-02-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avies48 (Post 5734228)
we have a jayco 2018 greyhawk 29mv, i ordered koni's but all are on back order till middle of may for cali, at least thru shockwharehouse that is...

I ordered mine on Amazon and got them in three days check with Amazon I know that they have them the FSD koni .

Rufinitt 05-02-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil G. (Post 5734397)
FWIW, what model Koni shock is being talked about here?

It's the Koni "FSD" (Frequency Selective Damping) shocks that I'm a fan of. I have two of those in the rear of my 24 ft. E450 Class C that have been superb at reducing the pounding in the rear that results from an under-loaded E450 chassis carrying only an 11,800 lb. motorhome. The stock Ford OEM shocks are still doing fine in the front after 15 years and ~81,000 miles.

(Of course Koni offers many standard damping shocks that are not their FSD type.)

Yes itís the koni FSD shocks .

Taffeys 05-02-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufinitt (Post 5732791)
Hi
Just wanted to put this out there, if anyone is looking to replace their shocks on their RV.
I just replaced my original stock shocks on my C class E450 leprechaun bunkhouse, with koni shocks
All I can say is that I was hesitant at first because of the price of the koni shocks.
But it made a world of difference the RV feels like itís riding on air . Next I will replace the sway bars with The brand hellwig . Did some research on these and they seem to be a good fit for my RV hope this has been helpful.

The first thing I did to our E450 was install Koni FSDs, Hellwig sway bars, and a Bilstein steering stabilizer. That plus an alignment made a world of difference in the ride and handling. But what a chore removing and installing the front shocks.

Avies48 05-02-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufinitt (Post 5734861)
I ordered mine on Amazon and got them in three days check with Amazon I know that they have them the FSD koni .

well crap! i got mine thru shockwharehouse...i guess im re ordering and ill send theirs back thanks!

Ron Dittmer 05-03-2021 04:05 PM

One thing you do NOT want are the Koni "NON" FSD shocks. I had the red ones (FSD are gold in color) and I was disappointed in them.

CLICK HERE to read about it which includes many pictures comparing the red Koni to heavy duty Bilsteins that I decided on. Had the Koni-FSD were more affordable and came with a life-time warranty at the time, I would have gotten them for sure.

Avies48 05-04-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer (Post 5736931)
One thing you do NOT want are the Koni "NON" FSD shocks. I had the red ones (FSD are gold in color) and I was disappointed in them.

CLICK HERE to read about it which includes many pictures comparing the red Koni to heavy duty Bilsteins that I decided on. Had the Koni-FSD were more affordable and came with a life-time warranty at the time, I would have gotten them for sure.

Roger.... Ive got the koni fsd on order but all back ordered and cannot get one set on amazon right now

jackreno 05-04-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer (Post 5736931)

The gold FSD was what I had on my class A, I heard the red ones were not as good as the gold ones.

The Bilsteins that were on the class A rode hard so I bought the Monroe RV shocks and they rode softer but caused more sway so after a few years I upgraded to the Koni FSD shocks and wow what a difference it made, helped the sway better and better control with a soft ride.

Mr_D 05-04-2021 10:57 PM

The Koni EVO shocks are made with variable damping like the FSD but are for heavier bus type motorhomes. Mine has a 20,000# axle but only carries 18,000#'s. Ideally like the EVO's BTW.

Ron Dittmer 05-05-2021 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackreno (Post 5738596)
The Bilsteins that were on the class A rode hard so I bought the Monroe RV shocks and they rode softer but caused more sway so after a few years I upgraded to the Koni FSD shocks and wow what a difference it made, helped the sway better and better control with a soft ride.

I will never know how smooth our rig would be with the Koni-FSD.

I did want to say that I was surprised that the heavy duty Bilstein shocks did not increase the roughness of the ride compared to the old red Koni-RVs. Handling is great and the ride is good. I just don't have Koni-FSD to compare. Everything considered, I have been very happy with the HD Bilstein shocks. But I will always wonder....

rffowler55 05-05-2021 06:37 AM

Our Bilstein shocks were starting to be less responsive to rough roads after over 50,000 miles of use so we ordered Koni shocks for the rear but Koni shocks were not available for the front until a projected mid-July date. I went with Bilstein's again on the front since we needed to replace before our next trip. We decided to try the Koni's because of all of the favorable comments on this site but the Bilstein's performed well until the past couple trips. Would have stayed with Bilstein but was curious if the Koni shocks would live up to expectations.