iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Marker Lights at Night (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/marker-lights-at-night-535343.html)

Laserchrome 05-03-2021 07:22 PM

Marker Lights at Night

I travel frequently at night and sometimes stop in a Rest Area or overnight campground for a few winks. I would like to leave my outside marker lights on for a bit more visibility in both places.

On some cars you can turn the turn signal to light that side of the car... no luck. I tried the markers from the light switch but it also lights the instrument panel. Tried the flashers but again it lights the instrument panel and other dash lights. I am concerned about running down the batteries with so much turned on.

Any ideas?

RetiredbutWorking 05-03-2021 07:26 PM

Can you turn down the lights on the dash using the dimmer?

Laserchrome 05-03-2021 07:44 PM

I have the electronic display dash and the gauge dimmer doesn't seem to do anything.

silvrhand 05-03-2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laserchrome (Post 5737170)
I travel frequently at night and sometimes stop in a Rest Area or overnight campground for a few winks. I would like to leave my outside marker lights on for a bit more visibility in both places.

On some cars you can turn the turn signal to light that side of the car... no luck. I tried the markers from the light switch but it also lights the instrument panel. Tried the flashers but again it lights the instrument panel and other dash lights. I am concerned about running down the batteries with so much turned on.

Any ideas?

Are you worried about someone running into you, or are you worried about security?

You can install LED lights under your coach and turn them on, they face down so they don't generate a lot of disturbance but it'll let people know you are there. If it's for security a security camera that uses POE might be worth installing.

Laserchrome 05-04-2021 09:46 AM

Just trying to have marker lights on so that no one runs into me. Getting hit in the rear concerns me especially since we are sleeping back there.

silvrhand 05-04-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laserchrome (Post 5737764)
Just trying to have marker lights on so that no one runs into me. Getting hit in the rear concerns me especially since we are sleeping back there.

The LED lights are bright and easy to see from a distance, or you could just turn on your parking lights without the headlights and that should light up your tail lights no?

Laserchrome 05-04-2021 07:39 PM

Turning on the parking lights does what I want however it also turns on the dash instrument lights and A/C control lights. I don't like having the digital display on all night. Not sure if all of it drains the battery as well. The hazzard flashers do the same thing.

rarebear.nm 05-04-2021 07:58 PM

I would consider adding a switch that would provide a second hot lead to the running lights usual circuit. If the regular dash light switch is off there should not be any back feed into another circuit.

ernieh 05-04-2021 11:31 PM

Quote:

If the regular dash light switch is off there should not be any back feed into another circuit.
Since the lights are controlled by the Lighting Control Module, how can you make that statement with any certainty?

rarebear.nm 05-05-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieh (Post 5738627)
Since the lights are controlled by the Lighting Control Module, how can you make that statement with any certainty?

If there is a chip involved somewhere all bets are off, that's why I said "should" and I made statement implying a measure of "certainty". That's your word.

However the idea may still work and could be easily and quickly tested with a loose length of wire. Probably faster than using a forum.

jlturner 05-06-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laserchrome (Post 5737170)

Any ideas?

Rest areas aren’t your best choice. Sleepy drivers and too many in and out of the rest areas aren’t a good thing. Many rest areas have other issues.

Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Home Depot, Lowe’s, are better choices with much less overnight traffic.

jeskibuff 05-09-2021 02:10 PM

Do you have a "Dock Light" switch on your dash? Mine will light up the little side lights, one right behind the entry door.

jeskibuff 05-09-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieh (Post 5738627)

How about using a diode like you'd use to isolate toad lighting circuitry from a motorhome?

curtsr 05-09-2021 06:13 PM

Not sure what coach you have but many are equipped with dock lights. Dock lights are on the sides of the coach. Should be a switch with the other dashboard switches.