iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   OASIS Heater module fault in cold weather?? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/oasis-heater-module-fault-in-cold-weather-535348.html)

kpecks 05-03-2021 07:40 PM

OASIS Heater module fault (Flame Out) in cold weather??

Our 2017 Dutch Star 4310 OASIS has been working flawlessly the last two months. The minute we get up to Estes Park (7500' elevation and mid 30s and below freezing), i get a heater zone fault on my oasis panel. On the Oasis unit, it shuts off in about 15 seconds and the Flame Out light comes on. I just had the unit serviced in January and have had no issues otherwise. It will reset and fire back up when i turn the switch off inside the coach and turn it back on. But after we're done showering, etc, the red light comes back on.

Anyone have any thoughts??

kpecks 05-03-2021 08:44 PM

OASIS Heater module fault in cold weather??

I pulled the covers off and looked at the nozzle. Everything was covered in black soot... Probably not a good sign. I unscrewed the nozzle tip and plan to clean/blow it out tmrw and make sure itís not clogged. Could the elevation/cold create a fuel/air mixture issue that caused the soot build up???

kpecks 05-03-2021 09:54 PM

Upon pulling everything out, I noticed some gunk built up around the edge of where the flame goes into the chamber. My thought was this was causing the flame sensor from being able to read properly, but once I had it all back together, it was still doing the same thing. When the unit is running, will the red light in the flame sensor be consistently on or will it flicker as the flame flickers? If not, I might have a flame issue, leading to an elevation/air issue? I checked all the hoses ó all were good. Iíll be checking the air filter tmrw and cleaning out the nozzle/tip as well. So frustrating in sub freezing temps with a wife and 3 kids who like long hot showers!

Tigerfan1 05-04-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpecks (Post 5737321)
Upon pulling everything out, I noticed some gunk built up around the edge of where the flame goes into the chamber. My thought was this was causing the flame sensor from being able to read properly, but once I had it all back together, it was still doing the same thing. When the unit is running, will the red light in the flame sensor be consistently on or will it flicker as the flame flickers? If not, I might have a flame issue, leading to an elevation/air issue? I checked all the hoses ó all were good. Iíll be checking the air filter tmrw and cleaning out the nozzle/tip as well. So frustrating in sub freezing temps with a wife and 3 kids who like long hot showers!

Sorry for your troubles. Must be frustrating. Since you just had it serviced and it worked fine until you went to higher elevation it could be an air fuel mixture issue as you suspect. I would call the folks at ITR ( (Oasis) 800 993 4402 and talk to them. They are extremely helpful.

kpecks 05-04-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 (Post 5738027)
Sorry for your troubles. Must be frustrating. Since you just had it serviced and it worked fine until you went to higher elevation it could be an air fuel mixture issue as you suspect. I would call the folks at ITR ( (Oasis) 800 993 4402 and talk to them. They are extremely helpful.

Thanks. I did this morning. Apparently I need to remove the nozzle assembly and test how far the diesel fuel will spray to determine if the diaphragms are bad... weíre headed back down off the mountain towards Denver so Iím going to test it then and see what happens. There are a few oasis service centers in the area.

Thx for the reply.

Dutch Star Don 05-04-2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpecks (Post 5738241)
Thanks. I did this morning. Apparently I need to remove the nozzle assembly and test how far the diesel fuel will spray to determine if the diaphragms are bad... weíre headed back down off the mountain towards Denver so Iím going to test it then and see what happens. There are a few oasis service centers in the area.

Thx for the reply.

Let us know what you find, your issue is knew compared to what we typically read about.

kpecks 05-05-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 5738424)
Let us know what you find, your issue is knew compared to what we typically read about.

Will do. Thatís why itís frustrating. What is weird is when I do the ďresetĒ test by holding the reset and bypass buttons on the unit simultaneously and then release the ďresetĒ button but hold the bypass, it goes into a ďtestĒ mode that runs the burner for 2 minutes and the combustion fan for two minutes with no issues.

Dutch Star Don 05-05-2021 04:01 PM

On my 2014 DS, I had recently serviced the unit, but it quit a short time later while on a trip. I saved the old ignitor and installed it. Problem solved. The fairly new ignitor quit.

kpecks 05-06-2021 03:00 PM

Well, we made it back down out of the mountains and so far so good. Havenít had a flame out yet, even at 5500í in Denver. Iím pretty confident it was an air/fuel mixture ratio that was causing the issue... Iíll update after we get a full nights use of showers and laundry.

kpecks 05-11-2021 10:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, after having the same reoccurring issues of flame outs and now at 9500í in Breckenridge with no flame whatsoever, I have discovered the diaphragms in the pumps are torn. So lack of Oxygen at elevation and damaged rubber lead to no flame. ITR has been great on the phone! Theyíre overnighting some new parts and we should hopefully be back in business

Attachment 327957
Attachment 327958
Attachment 327959

RandDescape 05-11-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpecks (Post 5747219)
Well, after having the same reoccurring issues of flame outs and now at 9500í in Breckenridge with no flame whatsoever, I have discovered the diaphragms in the pumps are torn. So lack of Oxygen at elevation and damaged rubber lead to no flame. ITR has been great on the phone! Theyíre overnighting some new parts and we should hopefully be back in business

I read about all the folks with some of the Oasis models and Iím thankful I have the NES like you do Kpecks. Open the bay door remove the screws while sitting on an upside down 5gal bucket and full access is right there.

I had to replace one of the 2 cables that runs from the NES to the zone board back in January when it was freezing out. Newmar had it twisted into a pretzel up at the frame. I rerouted both cables using plastic cable clamps using those front mounted screws. Iím hoping I get more than 18months from the new cable with the rerouting. My problem was that the diesel burner would not engage at all (no light on panel in drivers overhead).

- Richard

richpatty 05-11-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandDescape (Post 5747410)
I read about all the folks with some of the Oasis models and Iím thankful I have the NES like you do Kpecks. Open the bay door remove the screws while sitting on an upside down 5gal bucket and full access is right there.

I had to replace one of the 2 cables that runs from the NES to the zone board back in January when it was freezing out. Newmar had it twisted into a pretzel up at the frame. I rerouted both cables using plastic cable clamps using those front mounted screws. Iím hoping I get more than 18months from the new cable with the rerouting. My problem was that the diesel burner would not engage at all (no light on panel in drivers overhead).

- Richard

I agree...those of us with the 4310ís have a better time getting at the Oasis....

kpecks 05-16-2021 07:25 PM

Well, the saga continued... the main hot water pump inside the oasis died and I still was getting a flame out issue. The guys at ITR are amazing. They overnighted a new pump and a new control panel under warranty! The pump was a pain to install due to access to the mounts and the hoses/clamps were troublesome too but I managed to get everything apart and back together and weíre finally back in business. The control panel had a software update that allows the two air compressors to operate at different voltages.

I think what was happening is when another high amperage kicks on, it was causing a dip in the voltage of one of the pumps causing the control panel to shut down.

Either way, MANY thanks to ITR. They answered all my questions and then some.