iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Long week (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/long-week-535360.html)

Jadurlin 05-03-2021 11:22 PM

Long week

All - after two new tag tires in Arizona leading to a tag, drive axle, and front end alignment, a loose key cylinder leaving me stranded for a couple of hours until I was able to fix it, a blown transfer switch (specifically the ďone and doneĒ surge protection) and finally Iíve made it to Malibu with a beautiful view of the pacific camping for a week or so at the Malibu beach RV resort.

But...what do you know? When it rains it pours. This POS whirlpool washing machine still refuses to start. Iíll spare the details after doing significant research on this site. Sounds like whirlpool just plain sucks, so I wonít even try and fix it.

My question: what have you replaced these crappy machines with? What are you using? I have the 42RBQ which puts the washer an dryer in the middle of the coach. I need something similar in size obviously and clearly a better machine in general.

Thanks for your help!

JD

Gary.Jones 05-04-2021 07:20 AM

JD

Welcome to the world of "carefree motorcoach ownership". I have had more than one or two of those trips and weeks..... thankfully, I'm beginning to get this Cornerstone "dialed in".

Now I just guess that this adds insult to injury, but our washer and dryer have just "hummed" along without incident.

Gary

brobox 05-04-2021 07:25 AM

J.H. did a nice post about the newer Whirpools being much better than the older models. He purchased his a Lowe's where they came out and installed it.
I had a 14 RBQ, the newer Whirlpools are much nicer than my older model was.

zman62 05-04-2021 07:32 AM

Our 21cornerstone is 1 yr this month. We have done 2 loads in a yr due to the whirlpool not working. I plan I replacing it with a splendide. This whirlpool didnít work out of the box. Unit was replaced but new one needed a new board before it would work.

My buddy just bought a 21 anthem. His starts and runs on its own while driving. However wonít run when he tries to do laundry.

Not a fan of whirlpool

RVFunlovers 05-04-2021 07:43 AM

JD - Sorry about all your challenges. Enjoy the beautiful views of Malibu.
Were you using a separate internal or external surge protector as well when your one and done failed?

Gary - You have that coach so dialed in it has probably went up in value since you bought it. Seriously, the number of problems new coach owners have makes me want to shop for a 19 or 20 not a 22. Or just keep what I have….

Prairie Dog 05-04-2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5737569)
J.H. did a nice post about the newer Whirpools being much better than the older models. He purchased his a Lowe's where they came out and installed it.
I had a 14 RBQ, the newer Whirlpools are much nicer than my older model was.

What year did they get better? We have been using our Whirlpools a lot on this trip. The dryer works fine, just takes a good hour for a full load. Washer, no problems as of yet, but we mainly use the "Quick" program mode, which is only 30 min and cold water.

Gary.Jones 05-04-2021 09:42 AM

Hal

Well my experience is that the first two years are the worst..... no wait, I've only kept one coach for 3.5 years so maybe I am mistaken. I guess there are some owners who literally have two carefree years of no problems and the coach does everything it is supposed to, and every trip carefully planned out happens exactly the way that it is planned...... but I don't know any of those owners and it certainly is nothing I can relate to personally.

However, then everything works just great and we get to visit the "world" that we are trying to visit.... the sun comes out, the smiles begin to creep across our faces, and the world is good....

Gary

Motorhead-54 05-04-2021 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If your Whirlpool washer looks like mine in the image below, I have come up with a startup procedure that works for me 95% of the time. After having replaced the lock, the door switch, control board, timer board, reseated every single electrical connection and tightened every ground inside the machine, none of those made any difference. I finally found a startup procedure that works 95% of the time. It is a bit of a pat your head while rubbing your tummy event but I can almost always get it to start if I follow this checklist to the letter.

1. Open door and load clothes
2. Leave door open
3. Select wash cycle desired (wash light will flash)
4. Close door
5. Press start switch until light next to switch illuminates
6. Open door and then close door firmly
7. Drum will move just slightly and then stop
8. Door locked light will be on constant and draining/unlocking light will flash
9. The washer then goes into some sort of weight determination that will take approximately 2 minutes...be patient
10. Timer countdown drops 1 minute from your original program value
11. Washing shall commence.....95% of the time
12. IF the timer drops a minute and you see no action...bump the door near the latch with your hand.

I totally agree that you should never have to go through such crap to do your laundry but IT DOES work for me. I have this checklist taped to the inside of the cabinet door.

:facepalm:

philnail 05-04-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadurlin (Post 5737366)
All - after two new tag tires in Arizona leading to a tag, drive axle, and front end alignment, a loose key cylinder leaving me stranded for a couple of hours until I was able to fix it, a blown transfer switch (specifically the ďone and doneĒ surge protection) and finally Iíve made it to Malibu with a beautiful view of the pacific camping for a week or so at the Malibu beach RV resort.

But...what do you know? When it rains it pours. This POS whirlpool washing machine still refuses to start. Iíll spare the details after doing significant research on this site. Sounds like whirlpool just plain sucks, so I wonít even try and fix it.

My question: what have you replaced these crappy machines with? What are you using? I have the 42RBQ which puts the washer an dryer in the middle of the coach. I need something similar in size obviously and clearly a better machine in general.

Thanks for your help!

JD

Hi JD

We have a 2013 anthem RBQ and took them out and made a pantry. So much better now with lots of room

Jburklo 05-04-2021 07:44 PM

MotorHead

We have a 2012 Aspire DEQ with the same washer. Replaced the washer early within our two year warranty and basically follow your procedure. 95% is pretty accurate for us as well.

Jadurlin 05-05-2021 12:30 AM

Thanks everyone!

Great reading everyoneís experiences. It does make me feel better that Iím not the only one. As for the surge protection/transfer switch fault, there was a fault when I picked it up from the alignment shop. I have a weird feeling something happened when it was at the shop. I canít prove it, but when I flew in to pick it up from Arizona, it showed a fault. No idea what happened. I ordered a new transfer switch and am using an external surge protection on the post until I get home. I called entegra and they couldnít diagnose. The guy kept telling me heís never heard of anything like it. Oh well.

As for the washer, Iím going to replace the unit. It seems insane to continue going through a process for it to work 95% of the time. Iím my case, it works maybe 40% of the time. Iíve been using the same process for a while. Itís progressively getting worse.

At any rate, Iíll probably find something similar and hope it fits into the same washer cavity as the original. Wish me luck!

JD

brobox 05-05-2021 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadurlin (Post 5738644)
At any rate, Iíll probably find something similar and hope it fits into the same washer cavity as the original. Wish me luck!

JD

Just for ha-ha's I looked for the replacement Whirlpools and they are out of stock locally until July. My S&B neighbor just went through that trying to replace his W&D. Hopefully it will be easier in your area.

Motorhead-54 05-05-2021 06:39 AM

If I were to go to the trouble of replacing my washer, it would not be another Whirlpool!

Indy Glenn 05-05-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadurlin (Post 5737366)

Thanks for your help!

JD

Have a 2017 Newmar. Came with a Whirlpool washer & dryer. Not sure of model numbers. But experienced all the washer issues listed......

We live in our rig during the winter so a washer & dryer are important. After numerous repair attempts we replaced our Whirlpool with a Slendide listed below. Fit right where the Whirlpool washer was. We still use the Whirlpool dryer.

WFL1300XD Washer - Splendide Laundry Centers

Good luck.....

g