iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Any issues traveling with full water heater tank? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/any-issues-traveling-with-full-water-heater-tank-535571.html)

NYJoe 05-05-2021 03:45 PM

Any issues traveling with full water heater tank?

I will be visiting a campsite with only electric hook up and wanted to fill the 6 gal water heater tank up at home using the city water connection. My thoughts were not pull any water from my 32 gal fresh water tank after filling at the campground and also preventing the water pump from overheating filling the WH tank. The tank is located in the rear of my rig. I don't think I'll be experiencing any towing issues but was wondering if I am missing something.

thanks

tuffr2 05-05-2021 04:01 PM

Nope - none. Lots of people travel with the hot water tank full. I unwiterize my trailer and my 1st camping trip I fill the hot water tank. Then it stays full until I winterize the trailer in early November when it is drained.

bneukam 05-05-2021 05:31 PM

So that is roughly 50 lbs of water, and shouldn’t have no bearing on towing, unless you are already low on tongue weight. Obviously, being in the rear it will slightly reduce tongue weight.

We also fill ours up in the spring, and empty in the fall. But we use ours at least every two weeks. If your going a month without use then I would drain it.

NLOVNIT 05-05-2021 05:32 PM

No problem at all. Why would you be worried about your fresh tank pump overheating filling just a 6gal tank from your fresh tank? A pump won't overheat pumping just 6 gallons. Heck, I've used WAY more than that taking a shower using my fresh tank/pump.:D

Ljwt330 05-05-2021 08:57 PM

Actually, carrying a full WH tank can be a preventative should you ever forget to turn OFF the electric element before hooking up to electricity. Doing so with an empty tank will burn out the element in short order.

This is, of course, if you have a WH that uses 110vac. as well as gas.

MTK46 05-06-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljwt330 (Post 5739806)
Actually, carrying a full WH tank can be a preventative should you ever forget to turn OFF the electric element before hooking up to electricity. Doing so with an empty tank will burn out the element in short order.

This is, of course, if you have a WH that uses 110vac. as well as gas.

It sure will, don't ask how I know.[emoji19]

Bulletstoppe 05-06-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffr2 (Post 5739474)
Nope - none. Lots of people travel with the hot water tank full. I unwiterize my trailer and my 1st camping trip I fill the hot water tank. Then it stays full until I winterize the trailer in early November when it is drained.

I do the same, fill on the first trip, drain on the last.

Old-Biscuit 05-06-2021 07:29 PM

I fill fresh water tank, water heater and charge all plumbing lines (hot/cold) before travel

Been doing that since the late 70's.

Nothing worst then to get to destination and find out they have water issues........bad water, broken system etc

NYJoe 05-07-2021 04:14 AM

This is a great forum for information. It great to hear from experts.

Thanks to all.

dustyone 05-07-2021 11:37 AM

I de-winterize. Fill water tank. That includes water heater. Leave full till I winterize in fall. If you fill some water into your holding tank. You will not overheat your water pump.

Persistent 05-07-2021 12:30 PM

"My thoughts were not pull any water from my 32 gal fresh water tank after filling at the campground and also preventing the water pump from overheating filling the WH tank. The tank is located in the rear of my rig. I don't think I'll be experiencing any towing issues but was wondering if I am missing something.

thanks[/QUOTE]

I fill my water heater at home using a lawn faucet connected to my TT "city water" fitting. It is part of my routine de-winterizing.

I flush the pump line with a sort run then connect to the city water to flush anti-freeze out and fill water heater.

(maybe this was not your question)

Cumminsfan 05-07-2021 01:17 PM

Once my TT is out of hibernation the HW tank is never empty. Once you hook up to water it fills. It will stay full until you drain it or turn off all supplies to it and run a faucet.

wheat 05-11-2021 04:16 PM

whops, was I supposed to do something with my water heater tank?
I hook up water. It gets hot. I unhook water and drive away. Is there something I'm missing?

jerryd13 05-11-2021 05:17 PM

NO, but power off when traveling

No Problem whatsoever, BUT i suggest that you turn off the circuit breaker when you are traveling on the road, once you stop for the night, turn it on along with fresh water pump to insure the tank is full of water, never leave circuit breaker or any electric or propane flame on water heater unless it is full of water.