iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Propane connection to splice into line on MH? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/propane-connection-to-splice-into-line-on-mh-535573.html)

RJEV 05-05-2021 04:02 PM

Propane connection to splice into line on MH?

We want to use the propane on our motorhome for our portable firepit. What type of connector will we need to splice a quick connector in the existing propane line on our motorhome? Also, it appears that the maximum propane hose from the MH to the firepit shouldn't exceed 20ft due to lack of pressure, correct?

Thanks,
Robert

Lt Dan 05-05-2021 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed an Extend-A-Stay kit on my tank to use for a fire pit or grill. I did change the location of the connections on the kit and added a shut off valve.

BCam 05-05-2021 04:19 PM

The photo posted by Lt Dan doesn't really show the standard Extend-A-Stay install and can be confusing if you're not familiar with the process. The standard installation puts the Extend-A-Stay between your tank and your existing regulator which, depending on your current installation will need relocation and/or mounting reinforcement. Here's a video on the installation process:

https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...K0PEPxOWYiA813

And here are some additional instructions:

Installing a Camco 59123 4 port brass tee (Extend-A-Stay).

Not only will the Extend-A-Stay allow you to hook up a portable fire pit or BBQ (provided they have their own regulator), you can attach a standard propane tank to your RV in case your main tank runs low. In fact, the auxiliary tank function is the primary purpose of the Extend-A-Stay.

wheat 05-06-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

... In fact, the auxiliary tank function is the primary purpose of the Extend-A-Stay.
Hence the name "Extend-A-Stay" and not "Extend-A-Grill" :D :facepalm:

wheat 05-06-2021 04:48 PM

..joking aside. I have a TT and I cant find any videos showing how to install on a dual tank system. I suppose its not really the niche for the extend-a-stay, on a dual tank TT you can just take a bottle off and go fill it, where as it seems that many coaches have the P tanks mounted in place.

My TT was marketed with "a full size bbq hookup right off of your propane tanks."
When I bought the TT I did not find "the full size bbq hookup" but I did find docs for an "extend-a-stay" mixed in with the paperwork, so I presume that's what it was..

wheat 05-06-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheat (Post 5740933)
..joking aside. I have a TT and I cant find any videos showing how to install on a dual tank system. I suppose its not really the niche for the extend-a-stay, on a dual tank TT you can just take a bottle off and go fill it, where as it seems that many coaches have the P tanks mounted in place.

My TT was marketed with "a full size bbq hookup right off of your propane tanks."
When I bought the TT I did not find "the full size bbq hookup" but I did find docs for an "extend-a-stay" mixed in with the paperwork, so I presume that's what it was..

doh, now that I think about it.. I could just disconnect one of the tanks from the dual tank system and attach my full sized bbq (bbq with a regulator) to the tank, just like I do at home.. but where's the fun in that?

Lt Dan 05-06-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCam (Post 5739499)
The photo posted by Lt Dan doesn't really show the standard Extend-A-Stay install and can be confusing if you're not familiar with the process. The standard installation puts the Extend-A-Stay between your tank and your existing regulator which, depending on your current installation will need relocation and/or mounting reinforcement.

Actually, that is between the tank and the regulator. I just swapped the regulator output and grill output connections locations to better fit my layout. They are just threaded into the connector block with standard NPT connections.