iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Freshwater tank overflow...?? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/freshwater-tank-overflow-535601.html)

hattitude 05-05-2021 06:59 PM

Freshwater tank overflow...??

I have a fairly new to me, 2014 Canyon Star 3920....

I know where the freshwater tank drain valve/hose is located. I know where the pump intake hose is located. I know where the low point drain valves are (in the wet bay).... I have not yet found the tank overflow hose....

I've been gun shy to fill it to the top, out of fear of damaging/rupturing the tank...

Anyone know where it's is located, and where the overflow water will drain from...???

Lt Dan 05-05-2021 07:14 PM

Look underneath on the opposite side from your wet bay and it's probably hanging down with a "duckbill" one way flap valve on the end.

gnvrvin 05-05-2021 07:30 PM

When in doubt....trust your fill gage......but if not it should vent out

Greg

chuckftboy 05-05-2021 07:44 PM

Don't be afraid to fill until you see water running from the over flow line. I prefer to start my travel with a full tank. Before leaving home I always fill until water runs from my over fill line. 4 different class A's and haven't damaged a tank yet.

Jgeib 05-05-2021 07:55 PM

I over filled mine, the Bowing of the tank caused a crack where the drain valve is screwed into the tank. To much stress on the fitting because of the bowing. Fixed with plastic epoxy.

Ray,IN 05-05-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgeib (Post 5739745)
I over filled mine, the Bowing of the tank caused a crack where the drain valve is screwed into the tank. To much stress on the fitting because of the bowing. Fixed with plastic epoxy.

YUP, using a "hose @ 50psi to fill the tank that has a 3/8" overflow hose doesn't work out well; pressure buildup in a tank not designed for any pressure. I fill mine to 1" below the top, better safe than sorry.

Kenny Loney 05-05-2021 09:25 PM

Do you have a gravity fill? If so it will be right beside or very close to it.
If you have to turn a valve to fill from the city water connection, there will still have to be a vent/overflow line to prevent air pressure from building up as you fill. When you get near the top of the fill, just turn the valve back to a slow fill and watch where the overflow comes out.

Ken

Warrenjo 05-06-2021 07:08 AM

I always fill mine using the gravity fill line. I put the fill hose in the opening and fill till the water runs out or the gravity fill and the overflow line. No chance of pressurizing the water tank that way.

LETMGROW 05-06-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrenjo (Post 5740127)
I always fill mine using the gravity fill line. I put the fill hose in the opening and fill till the water runs out or the gravity fill and the overflow line. No chance of pressurizing the water tank that way.

I fill mine the same way. After it's full I drain a gallon or so out to allow for expansion so I don't leave a trail behind.

hattitude 05-06-2021 10:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies....

I don't have a gravity feed that I know of... just the switch on the wet bay.

Here's my wet bay with the water connection , the tank fill valve, and the two low point drain valves..

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a23a34e0_c.jpg

On the opposite side of the wet bay, I have the back of the water tank, and the drain hose/valve...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...dde75f73_c.jpg

The drain hose appears to be the only hose sticking out the bottom of any compartment, other than the two low point drains in the wet bay.

Yesterday, when flushing and disinfecting the water tank to prepare for a trip, it got to full on the gauge, but the sides of the tank were bulging a bit (I know, probably normal). I was skeptical to push it, and never saw/heard any overflow. At the time I stopped the water from filling the tank, it sounded as if it was flowing freely with no back pressure...

I just chickened out...

Working on the RV again today.. I will look again, for a possible drain hose out the bottom I may have missed...

Persistent 05-06-2021 10:54 AM

You stopped just short of finding out where the overflow vent is. As suggested above. When you get near full, decrease the in-flow and watch where the water comes out.

Almost all onboard fresh water tanks need an air vent. They typically will not work without one. The air vent doubles as an overflow vent.

153stars 05-06-2021 12:55 PM

RayIN is right ,you can fill fast ,but you need drop down to half to quarter throttle at the end or be Johnny on the spot to stop the hose. You don't want you start pressurizing the tank. You may never have too much flow for the vent, if your running through a valve Y splitter , small hose, 100'-200' of hose or small rotary union on a hose reel. But you have to be smarter than the hose, as one of my old bosses would say, insert whatever thing your doing for hose.
I almost always fill my tank very slow 1-2 gpm to give my fill side carbon block house filter a chance to work and let it over flow. I'll set my phone alarm as not to forget as I putz around.

hattitude 05-06-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persistent (Post 5740461)

Almost all onboard fresh water tanks need an air vent. They typically will not work without one. The air vent doubles as an overflow vent.

Very good point.. I completely overlooked that.

I should have known because my boats had the vent/overflow from the same line... That included water tanks AND fuel tanks.. but at least on a boat, you could hear the vents gurgle before they overflowed... which was a blessing when filling fuel tanks..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 153stars (Post 5740636)

RayIN is right ,you can fill fast ,but you need drop down to half to quarter throttle at the end

Another good point... as long as I fill slower than the vent can purge water, there shouldn't be any damage to the tank.... I chickened out way too soon last time..

Tomorrow I'll be working on the RV again... I'll just put the hose on very slow and see what happens..

Thanks again all for the assistance..

AITG 05-06-2021 04:11 PM

On Newmars the vent does not have any restrictions. I fill mine until I just see water overflowing and stop. For the next two dozen right turns I leave a trail of water - normal. I called them and they said there is no check valve to eliminate the risk of overfilling and buckling the floor.