iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Tire explosions during inflation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/tire-explosions-during-inflation-535685.html)

FL420 05-06-2021 12:27 PM

Tire explosions during inflation

Here's a good YT video of tire explosions causing injuries, sometimes fatal. Not many of us can afford a tire cage but surely we all can afford a 3 foot long inflation hose to keep our pretty faces out of the path of most of the likely flying debris.
https://youtu.be/Ysb-wLB836A
[emoji40]

Old-Biscuit 05-06-2021 01:23 PM

Never seen a Car/pickup tire explode when inflating

Have seen tire cages used for split rim truck tires cause they are inherently dangerous

The car/light vehicle tires exploding in that video were probably due to tire being driven flat/low air and were damaged

astrocamper 05-06-2021 01:38 PM

I permanently damaged the hearing in my left ear as a teenager filling my bike tire at a gas station. I misread the gauge in the sunshine and it blew up next to my ear.

If I sleep on my right ear I can't hear the birds in the morning when my window is open.

US1 05-06-2021 02:22 PM

Saw that on Entertainment Tonight last night. Scary stuff. Some of those guys are lucky to be alive! And here I just peeled off the warning sticker off my RVs door a few days agostar g to stay to the side 15’ when airing up the tires

ga traveler 05-06-2021 02:37 PM

I can say for sure motorhome tires can explode while filling. I was filling a motorhome tire for a customer and the tire exploded. I still have less hearing in that ear.

HiWay-OurWay 05-06-2021 06:48 PM

I still have vivid memories of the day twenty years ago that we found our "tire guy" laid out in the truck bay of the shop, lifeless and missing a good part of his forehead and cranium, which were spread across the ceiling and wall of the truck bay, accompanied by deep indentations from the split rim ring that blew off the tire he was filling.

He had a tire safety cage nearby, sitting empty as he aired up that rim laying on the shop floor.

Sometimes you just can't teach the old dawgs new safety tricks.

RIP Wayne.

tap4154 05-06-2021 07:42 PM

Just like we need another thing to worry about these days. Are typical Class C steel wheels split?

Ray,IN 05-06-2021 08:21 PM

A safety cage is required for tubeless and split-rims. The cage must be used when the tire is below 80% of recommended air pressure.
reference: https://www.tirereview.com/following...on-procedures/

When In high school a summer job was changing auto tires at the local Michelin dealership. I was not allowed to work with truck tires, they had a man for that. One day there was a loud bang, shop filled with dust. The truck tire man was inflating a semi-tire in the cage, he had his hand inside the cage inflating the tire, which exploded and mashed off his right hand. It had to have been a split-rim in the 1950's.

charliez 05-07-2021 07:10 AM

I watched a discount guy inflate a tire using the cage but he had his head stuck in the cage as he inflated it. I said something to him about it and he appreciated that and said that he didn't know that's why they make them use the cage.

I have seen a car tire explode. On a work van I had. It had a bad tire and the company wouldn't replace it so I stopped at a station that had a clip on air chuck, so i clipped it on and let it. it would bug and loud. It sure would have been cool to have a camera phone back then.

Cooperhawk 05-07-2021 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tap4154 (Post 5741151)
Just like we need another thing to worry about these days. Are typical Class C steel wheels split?

Split rims went out of service many years ago. They were indeed dangerous. I changed many truck tires of that type when I was younger and we were very careful with them.:cool:

bobphoenix 05-07-2021 07:32 AM

My Brother had a tire with a bubble in the sidewall, explode on him when he was inflating it... Still can't hear out of one ear. He has hearing aids now.

Last year, I over-inflated the tires on my yard tractor (50 PSI instead of 30 PSI) and within a few minutes of each other they each blew.
Luckily, I was on the other side of the yard, but the dogs ran, terrorized, into the house, thinking an explosion had occurred... 8.5X4 tires @ 50PSI is a lot of pressure. Each one left a 6 inch deep pit in the grass...

Imagine how much a sudden released of pressure can come out of a 2-5 inch tear (or complete bead failure) when a 275/80R24 @ 110PSI lets loose?!?

Catastrophic!

tap4154 05-07-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooperhawk (Post 5741581)
Split rims went out of service many years ago. They were indeed dangerous. I changed many truck tires of that type when I was younger and we were very careful with them.:cool:

That's what I thought. Maybe next week Inside Edition will do an expose on people getting broken arms from cranking their Model T engines? Though there still is some danger if inflating a damaged tire, or if you simply over inflate a good tire. I suspect the one guy that was filling his tire at the gas station when it exploded may have done that.

Bigd9 05-07-2021 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was on a road construction site with a survey team where a half dozen Caterpillar scrapers were running up and down a mountain side removing dirt/rock. As one of the scrapers whizzed past it blew a tire. The noise was deafening, but the percussion knocked my team members over the embankment. Luckily no one was seriously hurt, but a very expensive transit wasn't so lucky!
(picture from internet to show size)

KanzKran 05-07-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWay-OurWay (Post 5741087)
He had a tire safety cage nearby, sitting empty as he aired up that rim laying on the shop floor.

The odd thing is that every tire cage I've ever seen was heavily dented inside and the tubes wowed outward, yet tire guys often don't use them. How do they think those dents got there in the first place?

I drove way back when tube tires on split rims and spoked Dayton hubs were the most common, and I couldn't watch while our in-house tire guy would repair flats and inflate them flat on the floor, and of course not use the cage that was sitting right there, all dented up inside. :nonono: